Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: 2 weeks old, 6 break downs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 10:10 AM   #1

Default 2 weeks old, 6 break downs

New Wraith owner, multiple problems, mostly screws falling out. Looking for advice on the last/current one.

This one started with the set screw for the pinion gear on the motor falling out on it's own. This caused he pinion to chew up the spur gear.

We obtained a new pinion and spur and installed, with a little lock tite for the set screw.

Ran well for an hour or two but started getting noisy and we found the spur gear was getting chewed up again even though the pinion was still in place.

My assumption is that I installed it wrong somehow.

How tight should the lock nut for the slipper spring be? I left it a bit open so that the spring was not fully closed but in that configuration the spur seems to wobble a bit when turning.

I'm ordering another spur gear and looking for help installing it.

Thanks.
chartdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: 2 weeks old, 6 break downs

the only time ive had a pinion screw fall out was when i forgot to tighten it hahaha...

you eating spurs sounds like you have your gear mesh wrong... Too tight or too loose, either way it'll chew it up
street.terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I use a piece of the plastic that the gear comes in to set the mesh.... Cut a piece of the plastic, set it between the pinion and spur gear. Than tighten and spin spur to remove plastic. That has always worked for me. As for the slipper nut. Tighten all the way than back it off a quarter to half turn... That's where I like it but it is also a personal pref. some like tighter and others looser. I think it depends on your driving style. That's just MO and how I set mine so if anyone else would like to chime in
Rockridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartdog View Post
How tight should the lock nut for the slipper spring be? I left it a bit open so that the spring was not fully closed but in that configuration the spur seems to wobble a bit when turning.
It sounds like your slipper is fine. I usually tighten it all the way down the back it off a half revolution.

The spur gear does not need to be supper tight. It'll crack if you go too tight.
Try loosening the screws a tad, then tighten just till you feel the resistance of them bottoming out.
If it wobbles, try to adjust the wobble out with the 3 screws at different amounts... also make sure everything is seated correctly.

Last, make sure your pinion is lined up good. If the set screw sticks out past the teeth, make sure it is not coming in contact with the spur.
Also, there should be just a bit of play between the 2 gears... with 32 pitch gears, many people put a piece of paper between the mesh then tighten it down and you should be able to slowly pull the paper out without it tearing.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I've always used a piece of paper.If it rolls through tighT without binding it up, should be good.
sickness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Paper for me also until I learned to do it by feel.
crawler nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

With any axial rtr, always go over it and check everything to make sure it's tight. I've had a lot of them and there is always loose screws. Check everything.

NOTErized!
Tmaxxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Agreed Me and My dad both bought axial RTR's and the first day out dad's ridgecrest lost a front driveshaft because the set screw was loose and fell out we went through and had to tighten probably 15 screws on it. Also agreed if you are chewing up gears I would say you set your backlash incorrectly. I did that on my stampede burnt a motor up and did a little chewing of my gear as well just not enough to condem it . The owner of my LHS taught me how to set it by feel also mentioned the paper or plastic trick. Just like a true 1.1 ring and pinion you need a little play but not enough to where it can slip out of place.
bustedbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #9

Thanks everyone, just what I needed!
chartdog is offline   Reply With Quote

2 weeks old, 6 break downs - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
is neutral break the same as drag break? rod-211 Newbie General 3 02-25-2011 08:33 PM
Where to get tie downs/ropes for scaler Huntweiss General Crawlers 2 01-01-2011 11:33 PM
May 31-Day of up's and downs tqcookie North Dakota 6 06-10-2009 12:17 PM
60/40 Ups and Downs ADDICT Newbie General 7 05-20-2008 09:01 PM