Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: front battery mounts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default front battery mounts

Whats a good idead for mounting the battery up front?
dodgesavageone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: front battery mounts

There are a few production thing that you can buy. One is a tray that is nice looking and the other is just a peice of flat aluminum. I made my own out of aluminum coil stock. I don't have any pictures of mine or links to others sorry.
hooty481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:54 PM   #3
RCC Addict

One of the articles in the contest is on moving the battery forward. It has pictures. Check out the other articles while you there and vote for the ones you.

Let the voting begin!!!!
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:58 PM   #4

By no means am I any professional crawler but I was talking with a clerk at my local hobby shop about these battery forward mods. His advise to me was to try and keep the truck as level as possible. Also, depending upon your style driving and competitions and stuff, it is common for a point deduction to occur for going in reverse. But if that's your only option than your really going to wish you had some weight back and not all in the front.
Fnbx07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:59 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnbx07 View Post
By no means am I any professional crawler but I was talking with a clerk at my local hobby shop about these battery forward mods. His advise to me was to try and keep the truck as level as possible. Also, depending upon your style driving and competitions and stuff, it is common for a point deduction to occur for going in reverse. But if that's your only option than your really going to wish you had some weight back and not all in the front.
Coming from a comp crawler background you always want more weight in the front than the rear. That is the reason for weighted wheels (in the front) and the battery up front as well. Try climbing a rock face or ledge with no weights in the front tires or even weights front and rear with the battery in the rear and you'll be disappointed in the performance, if you even make it up what you're crawling. Then try it with weights and the battery up front. There will be a huge difference in the performance of the rig.

In stock form. No weight in the tires and the rear mounted battery of the Wraith it doesn't climb well at all.

I moved the battery to the front and each front tire weighs in at about 11-12oz and I have no issues with steep hills, rock faces or getting over ledges. It's very stable and stays on all 4's most of the time, as long as I'm not being stupid and throttle happy with it. Sorry if I rambled, I'm tired.
crawler nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:11 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Well got my goat system in and reciever and no room up front for battery. I run more weight in my front tires then rear so I will have to reweight them to comp for battery in rear.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:17 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I fit a 3400mah 3s, MMP, rx, winch controller and a 800mah 2s for my winch all up front.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Crawlspace front tray

homeade plate

At first I just velcro strapped the battery in place under the hood.
Dostradamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #9

take the stock battery tray and cut it in half.it fits perfect right behind the fire wall.you can screw it right into that hole thats there.then use the velcro to hold it snug in the frame.sorry for no picture
seaturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:49 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I did similar to above.

Take the battery tray. Mount sideways. Cut off one side of the shock mounts and trimmed the strap mount holes on the same side.

I had to cut and bend the firewall back.

Then I lined up the center hole on what was the bottom of the battery tray to the lower beam that runs across the lower windshield tube. Drilled a hole and screwed in there.

Then I screwed the existing shock mount hole to the old esc hole.

I trimmed the battery tray and firewall a bit on pass side to get battery cables into the cabin.

Once mounted, I marked the fender well lines on the battery tray, and removed the sections that were unsightly.

I mounted foam to either side of the tray to center and secure the battery.

The loops for the strap were too high, so I cut the top ones off. Doesn't matter once the battery is strapped in.

I got a plastic sheet and made a plate to mount the esc and receiver box in the rear. Had to lengthen the front light wires.

Overall one of the best mods for crawling. Maybe bad for jumping. Noticeably less balanced now.
Sethmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:07 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Ok thanks for the tips. Where do you get that front tray?
Old 02-21-2013, 06:12 AM   #12
N.E.R.C.C Uncle Blinky

Crawlspace
Drail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:08 AM   #13
RCC Addict

I made my tray out of lexan. It's really easy to do if you don't want to put out much money. I think mine took me 30 minutes and cost less than $3.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Don't buy anything! Simply move your ESC wherever you want mines where the battery was...and then trim the lexan for the interior take the straps off your battery tray and simply strap your battery to the cage. 2s 5000mah lipo shown and but your battery plug through the hole the ESC plug went through and vise versa

slash 127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

anyone have a link to the crawlspace front tray?
Old 02-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Here is the Crawler Innovations Wraith Electronics Tray
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote

front battery mounts - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Post up your front axle battery mounts ROWDY RACING Axial XR10 32 12-04-2010 07:32 PM