Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Help. Wraith under powered when trying to crawl.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 01:36 AM   #1

Exclamation Help. Wraith under powered when trying to crawl.

So i have this problem with my wraith. Since i bought. Ive been making it a full on crawler. Anyways since the stock motor ive be having a underpowered problem. I thought it was the motor so i got a 35 turn pro crawler. Well im still having the same problem. I tryed adjusting the slipper clutch but still. The clutch wont slip with is good. But instead of having full power my wraith just stops and the tranny doesnt slip or anything motor just stops. Wats wrong why cant i crawl i cant even do hill climbs with out itsometimes binding up and stopping.
Robreno454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2013, 02:21 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Are your throttle endpoints set correctly?

What rx/tx?

Same problem in forward AND reverse?

Sane problem while turning AND going straight?

What esc?

What battery?

What brand motor? New/used?

Using an external bec?

Does the drivetrain spin freely without the motor in the rig?

What size pinion and spur?

What size tires?

Have you advanced or retarded your timing at all on the motor?

Are your brushes in good condition?

If you want help you need to supply more info. Any other info you can think of besides these questions would help.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
heinie_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:33 AM   #3

Default Re: Help. Wraith under powered when trying to crawl.

Its stock electronics. Venom 5000 mah 7.2v nimh battery. Stock tires. I can drive on flat ground no problem only when uneven terrain or try to go strait up 90 degree. Its a novak terra crawl 35 turn only 2 weeks old every thing else is stock but steering c hubs knuckles and shocks. I havent tried messing with contorler. And dont knw how to adjust timing on motor._ motor only used twice on crawling for 45 mins. And bout 4me times running around my driveway and back yard.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:42 AM   #4

Tried throttle trim nothing. Also motor gets hot sometimes and gets super warm really quick. Also super loud ive checked pinion and adjusted still nothing. The stock motor did the same thing.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:38 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I swapped out my Spur gear for an Axial 87 Tooth and a 14 Tooth Pinion all kinds of torque and now it will do what I want. The ESC used to get hot enough to smell from a distance when trying to crawl up harder obstacles. Cheap and easy upgrade for the stock motor.
Pita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:28 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

I had thr same problem and I found that one of my wheels was rubbing one of the knuckles in the front. when the lug nuts was tight the wheel was clamped and would not spin unless the motor was running and then before I could figure it out it burnt my motor up. I had the strc chubs and knuckles. I just put a small washer on before I put the wheel on and it solved my problem.
hooty481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I would guess either something is bound up or you have yourself a bad motor. I had a brushless motor that had gotten loud like the gear mesh was to tight I pulled it out took it apart and found Broken windings. It was an older motor that was out of warranty, You should call the company you purchased your motor from and request to warranty it that is if the drivetrain is not binding any where !
gofaster427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I don't think it's how motor because his first post said his stock motor did it too.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #9
RCC Addict

To me it sounds like your stock esc is crap. Do 2 things. Take your motor out and see if you can push your wraith with your hand across the floor. It should coast easily a few feet in "neutral". If it won't coast you have something in your drivetrain binding up. check to make sure your front wheels are not rubbing the knuckles.

Next:
If it coasts smooth in neutral with no resistance I would borrow another esc from another of your rigs or a friend or a hobby shop. Anything. Any esc that you KNOW works fine, and run your wraith with the stock motor and 35t motor with the borrowed esc. If the wraith runs fine then you need a new esc.

Last edited by heinie_21; 03-01-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:53 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Try disconnecting your steering servo from the receiver...just drive forward and reverse to see if you have the throttle problem. If the problem stops happening then its because the servo is sucking a lot of power...i had the exact problem you described so i tried this. When i disconnected the servo from the receiver i had all the power in the world. My fix for this was adding a Castle BEC into the system. Fixed everything instantly.

Also i've recently installed a 45T Integy motor and a Tekin Crawler ESC, and re-did my pinion and spur gearing. I've lost the speed, but wanting a dedicated crawler i've got finer speed control and tons o torque.
tripsix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slipper clutch, wraith

Help. Wraith under powered when trying to crawl. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pure crawl wraith, how many of you have 1? nitrooxide Axial Wraith 33 02-21-2013 10:53 PM
Zombie Powered Wraith running new servo winch scottanthony Scale Videos! 5 07-09-2012 05:48 PM
Zombie Powered Axail Wraith running the new Dynamic Concepts "Rubi" Body scottanthony Videos! 3 02-20-2012 09:35 AM
Weekend Wraith Crawl heli0 Scale Videos! 2 08-30-2011 10:56 AM
wraith tech crawl? swood74 Axial Wraith 8 06-08-2011 07:45 PM