Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: panhard what does it do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2013, 11:37 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default panhard what does it do?

I just installed chassis mount servo with panhard. I have no idea what it is for? Chassis twist? Help please
smeesho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2013, 01:21 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: panhard what does it do?

Well the servo goes on the chassis for scale looks. If you were to keep the four link up front, you would get bump steer. So one upper link comes off. Now the panhard link gets bolted into place to locate the axle.
Ryan87zuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:36 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Take it off and drive. Youl then see what its for
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:46 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Lets take a Jeep's steering for an example. A Panhard (or trackbar) travels width wise across the frame and axle. If you installed the kit without the panhard, you will instantly notice that you loose a ton of steering and that your front axle will move side to side. With a Panhard, You have centered your front axle as well as having a connecting rod to help keep it from moving side to side.

Why does Jeep have a 4 link with panhard front and rear? The answer is still unknown and kindof stupid if you ask me. I think because the Jeep engineers, engineered the link geometry so poorly, they added a panhard to band-aid the problem. If you buy a Toyota link kit for the front from All-Pro Offroad, Marlin Crawler or Trail-Gear, It will always be a 3 link with panhard like what you see with the Wraith.

Technically, when you install VP's kit, you'll still have a 4 link suspension system. You just have relocated one of the upper links to do another job. You shouldn't have a problem with this, but make sure that the Panhard and Drag link are in line with each other to help reduce bumpsteer.

http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Know...teering(1).jpg
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

There are two types of 4- link setups. Parallel and triangulated. A triangulated 4-link controls lateral movement of the axle by forming a triangle with the upper links. Parallel 4- link system has links that are parallel links. With this system, the axle has nothing limiting lateral axle movement. To hold it in position. A panhard (track bar) is used to control lateral movement.

The difference is that triangulated 4-link allows for less link wrap-up during extreme articulation, which makes it ideal for rock crawling rigs. The downfall is that this only works with an axle mounted servo, or hydraulic steering on a 1:1.

Although parallel 4-link has less articulation, it gives a lot more tuning options, and is ideal for higher speed rigs.

A three link setup with a panhard is a modified 4-link, so you can run a cms. The reason for this setup is because the steering link makes an arc during compression. This would cause the steering to turn. The panhard eliminates this steering affect by laterally moving the axle in an identical arc the steering link travels. This setup allows for pretty similar articulation as a 4-link but gives scale looks for most trucks.

Last edited by project_mayhem; 04-14-2013 at 10:04 AM.
project_mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeesho View Post
I just installed chassis mount servo with panhard. I have no idea what it is for? Chassis twist? Help please
Lateral axle location under the chassis.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Also there is a video right on vp's website that says exactly what the panhard does.
Ryan87zuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:10 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Thanks to all! Big help.
smeesho is offline   Reply With Quote

panhard what does it do? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need for a panhard? Armistice General Crawlers 13 09-04-2012 08:06 PM
Panhard PECO Axial Wraith 3 12-09-2011 05:23 AM
what does panhard mean? z71baja Newbie General 3 11-06-2011 09:03 AM
Panhard ? rottenbelly General Scale Talk 2 01-02-2010 09:27 PM