Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: I knew it would break but this soon?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 11:42 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default I knew it would break but this soon?

Hey guys my charger finally showed up in the mail today I didn't get home till dark but I charged the batteries up and decided to see how well the headlights worked on the rig since it was the first chance ive really had to play with a full battery.

I did about maybe 10 mins of just cruising around the yard not even in full throttle on soft grass then decided this was no fun since I really couldn't see well enough to really tell what I was doing.

I was looking over everything just wondering what would break first once I really gave it hell and I noticed my servo already has play in the shaft at first I thought maybe it was just the servo horn not screwed down well since I saw some chewed up plastic in addition but no I checked and it was as tight as I could get it and the shaft wiggles.

Not concerned since I figured from reading the sticky knowing what im going to have to upgrade eventually just kind of surprised
xsputnikx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2013, 11:55 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: I knew it would break but this soon?

The stock servo actually takes a lot of abuse even after the shaft starts to wobble. I think there are some threads on replacing the bearing with a bushing. For the price they work well but if you want the servo/horn to be reliable get a BEC, a good servo and a metal horn.
cody426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:09 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I'm not doing any precision driving right now so not overly concerned just wondering how long it may or may not hold up I got a hitec 645mg servo sitting in my micro crawler worse case but just curious if it was normal. I plan to throw a 300 0z+ in it when money is right

sent from old rotary phone using tapatalk
Old 09-05-2013, 12:29 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

It lasted way longer than I would have thought. It was on a rigdecrest but same thing really. I was letting kids drive it and they just run it into things on purpose. The one I had on the rtr honcho I had lasted longer than I thought also. The servo wobbling I would say is pretty normal, can't say it happened that fast for me but I never bothered to check with those rigs. Considering the cost to replace them, they're not to bad. Both rigs had the rtr plastic steering, which may ease stress on the servo.
cody426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

All my friends stock servos have the shaft wobble including mine and they are still kickin lol
slash 127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Kit>rtr.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
RCC Addict

i love the servos in the RTR - they take a pounding for stock servo! Bluebird rocks! Servo horn....metal servo output on a plastic horn....hhhmmmm, yup - horn will lose!

My horn lasted several months until i added wheel weights - then it pooped the bed. On the other hand, one of my Ridgecrests lasted 18 minutes and decided to come unglued.

All things considered, either strip a 2 dollar horn or fry a 20$ servo. Yes I exaggerate but you get the point.

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the addiction!

P.S. If you contact axial, you may get an upgrade shipped to you - wishful thinking but anything is possible
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsawacs View Post
i love the servos in the RTR - they take a pounding for stock servo! Bluebird rocks! Servo horn....metal servo output on a plastic horn....hhhmmmm, yup - horn will lose!

My horn lasted several months until i added wheel weights - then it pooped the bed. On the other hand, one of my Ridgecrests lasted 18 minutes and decided to come unglued.

All things considered, either strip a 2 dollar horn or fry a 20$ servo. Yes I exaggerate but you get the point.

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the addiction!

P.S. If you contact axial, you may get an upgrade shipped to you - wishful thinking but anything is possible

Why waste all of that time and energy? Why not just get a more quality Savox or HiTec servo next that will produce twice as much power and actually be durable for more than 2 hours of use?
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

My plans is to run the gears off this one then replace with something good.

sent from old rotary phone using tapatalk
Old 09-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #10
ZiG
Rock Stacker

Well the good news is hobbyking servos are cheap I've had good luck with bluebird..
ZiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:35 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

why not buy a good servo nd a good horn with a BEC and nevery worry for as long as you own your truck. it may not go forwards and backwards but damn skippy it will steer. it's true
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:42 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Bought a savox servo for my wraoth that came with a glitch buster for 45 bucks on ebay and it was waterproof too! Not a bad plave to look for parts
arcanecrawler89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:18 AM   #13
RCC Addict

What savox servo did you get?
crawler nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:50 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

I have the Savox 1230 in my wraith and have yet to have a complaint with it.
Tater0108 is offline   Reply With Quote

I knew it would break but this soon? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
is neutral break the same as drag break? rod-211 Newbie General 3 02-25-2011 08:33 PM
Who knew.... fishnride883 Team Losi Comp Crawler 0 09-05-2010 10:33 AM
Who knew? CreepyCrawl Chit Chat 7 02-05-2009 09:34 PM
I saw this, and knew what I had to do. hitman46mod Michigan 4 07-25-2008 10:54 AM