Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: why spend 80-100$ on shocks? I have a cheaper alternative

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Talking why spend 80-100$ on shocks? I have a cheaper alternative

So, I have been looking at a way to improve the ride on my wraith since I got it and with a limited budget, and a 2 year old who loves to break my RCs, I needed a solution that would keep money in my pocket for repairs and not in upgrades.

As everyone knows, the wraith suspension is just too stiff. i wanted a slightly lower ride height and faster/softer dampening in my suspension. What I was looking to achieve is something that will soak up the terrain at full throttle and not tip over while still allowing full articulation and good movement when in and over the rocks.

Here is what I ended with...

My only purchase in this mod is ALUMINUM SHOCK BODIES (20$ for all 4 in the classified). I have found that an aluminum shock body works wonders over the stock dampening....never thought I would say that. On some manufacturers, it makes a difference. Axial aluminum shock bodies makes a world of difference!

I started with the "B" or "C" 3 hole shock piston and drill the piston holes out using a 1/16 drill. This will give you a total of 4.5mm of dampening hole diameter vs total 3.6mms of dampening in the stock "B" piston. I am using stock 30wt oil. First tested with stock oil and found it to be great so, no need to try other weights. I am sure I'll change to 20wt this winter....we'll see.

Then I match the piston diameter to the shock body using a scotch bright pad on the piston edges just to make the plastic piston smooth inside the aluminum body. (Installed the piston on the shock shaft and spun it with my fingers) I found some pistons were tight in the body while others were loose, the loose ones got discarded since I didnt want too much "blow by" around the piston and more throught the dampening holes.

Taking the time to bleed the shocks correctly is very important! Unseat the piston once or twice as you fill them (allow oil to get under piston) and let them sit for a few minutes to remove the air bubbles, seat the rubber gasket firm in the cap and removing the large air gap trapped between the gasket and oil is critical (Burp the shock). Doing this will lead to less leaking shocks....at least until the o-rings wear out AND when you bottom out, they wont pop the caps off the bodies.

**I fill my shocks just until the oil covers the piston at top dead center without sucking air into the dampening holes - yes, you can add too much or too little!**

I still use the stock shock caps as I have yet to pop one off.

I use this set up on both my ridgecrests and both my wraiths. All have similar builds....(minimal variations in weight)

I would love the feedback on this post - this is my contribution to make the hobby more affordable and enjoyable by "getting to know your rig"!

Last edited by redsawacs; 09-10-2013 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Edit price tag
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: why spend 80-100$ on shocks? I have a cheaper alternative

pictures
Ohioskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: why spend 80-100$ on shocks? I have a cheaper alternative

I dont know, for $10-$15 more of what 4 alloy body shocks cost, you better off waiting for some nice shocks and some luck on the classifies and you will still have your 4 complete stock shocks as spares.
Steelfish is offline   Reply With Quote

why spend 80-100$ on shocks? I have a cheaper alternative - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cheaper alternative to a ccbec is here discgolferlee Electronics 15 10-20-2012 10:55 AM
DIG switch (cheaper + better alternative to punk maybe?) Spiftacu1ar Tamiya Clod Buster 19 03-04-2012 07:13 AM
Cheaper alternative help Jordo Tires and Wheels 2 07-26-2011 07:55 AM
100$ to spend... slashracer111 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 23 12-14-2009 02:56 PM
Best way to spend $100 for servo's DeaDShorT Electronics 4 11-11-2006 11:06 AM