Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Added a Wraith to my garage.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Added a Wraith to my garage.

Just finished it off this morning:

For ESC and radio I'm running a Novak Eiger and a M11X. For motor and servo I'm still waiting on some permanent parts to show up, but I was in a rush to get out in the yard with it so I threw a 27T Axial silver can and a Traxxas high torque servo on it. Five minutes later the Traxxas servo was stripped and the rig was useless.

One hour and a trip to the LHS later and I'm back in business with a Hitec 7955 and a somewhat lighter wallet. Not sure what I'll do with my Savox 1283 when it gets here next week, but I'm sure I'll think of something.

Nothing in the dry pond that presents any sort of a challenge anymore. The SCX10 can never make it all the way through without a little winching or hand of god.

Looks like I'm going to need another shelf...

I have parts coming for steering (linkages, knuckles, chubs) and making plans for battery relocation as well as fabbing up a rear tray. Going to continue to play as is for the weekend and will likely have even bigger plans by the time Monday rolls around.
forty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Added a Wraith to my garage.

Looks awesome! I just joined the wraith family as well. I have an SCX10 and decided my wife needs a toy too. She is very excited to get her wraith.
JetBlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:58 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Nice rig you got there, and nice collection of RCs.
blackcruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

So the Bend G6 lines up with a vacation I'm already taking in the area. Even though I'll have my 3 year old in tow I'm going to try my hardest to participate. With it being two and a half weeks away that leaves me little time to prepare. My SCX10 is already in a good place for this, but the new Wraith is just too tempting. Steering linkages already showed up and were installed over the weekend.

I've got a 25.5T motor on the way but I'm starting to think that I might want to go a bit hotter for this. I've got an old Trinity D3 17.5T on hand that I could use or maybe I'd be better served by a 21.5T motor of some sort, still thinking on that right now. Tomorrow I'm going to start fabbing a pair of trays, one to move the battery up front and one for scale items in the back, I've got a lot of carbon fiber and fiberglass on hand, just have to sort through the scraps and find what I've got in the most appropriate sizes. Also torn on whether I want to bother tearing the winch servo out of my SCX10 and making it work here or if I should just take my chances. Oh, and I'm going to need a driver and a boat...
Old 09-23-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

pretty cool!
i like the Mini on the shelf too ;)
crawlerpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

very nice in white
hard rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Started surgery this afternoon. Tore the electrics and battery tray out and added a much needed BEC in the process. With everything out of the way I started the slugs for the front and rear trays. Should have the finished pieces in a day or two, whenever I can find the time to get the vac pump set up.

You'll have to excuse the picture quality, my phone doesn't play nice with the fluorescent lights of my shop.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:12 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

It's always more gratifying to make something that works exactly for your application then buying it off the shelf. Looks good.
MotoSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Both trays under vacuum. After I took this picture I actually had to pull it all apart because I realized I made a layup mistake. The front tray was lost in the process, the rear tray is still under vacuum as I type this. Tomorrow I'll find out if it's okay or how badly I screwed it up.

Added delrin rock rings to the wheels, couldn't find a 1mm allen though so I'm reusing the original hardware for the time being.

Last but not least I swapped out the chubs, knuckles, servo arm, and diff covers for more substantial parts.

Less than two week to Bend departure and I still need to decide on a motor (leaning towards 18.5T Novak), whether or not to add a winch, and scale items, most importantly, the driver.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #10

I agree about the white. Looks awesome. And you definetly are high tech with the vacuum bag set up. Bead locks are cool looking too. Good job.
buckeyewraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:06 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

So I ended up going with my SCX10 for the G6, couldn't quite get the Wraith where I wanted it in time.

The trays didn't quite work out the way I wanted them to so I tried again in lexan and failed again. Since returning from Bend I've been playing around with the Wraith a bit thinking about what direction I want to go with it overall.

This is how it sits now:

Swapped the Eiger for a MMP so I can run 3s power to the 18.5T Ballistic, moved the receiver and light control to a small Radio Shack project box painted (poorly) to look like a fuel cell, added a lexan floor to the back under the fuel cell, Put underdrive gears in the rear diff, and added RC4WD inner fenders. Next I'll be moving the seats back in along with my Willy, er, my little man, um, you know what I mean.

From there I'm a little torn. I really like driving the Wraith as is but it really looks like a bit of a clown car to me, the axles are a little too wide for the scale of it. I know there's a variety of approaches I can take to remedy that, but I'm not exactly sure yet how I want to go about it.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I would put the scx10 diffs under it, would narrow the stance to make it look less clownish... i am leaning towards doing that with my wraith...
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:03 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Not much of an update, but I finally got around to getting my seats back in and driver in place:

Up next is smaller axles and 1.9s.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:36 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Nice job...where did you get the driver? Been thinking of getting one like that. How far do you have to extend the steering wheel?
Wacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:58 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacki View Post
Nice job...where did you get the driver? Been thinking of getting one like that. How far do you have to extend the steering wheel?
Driver's been on a shelf for over a year just waiting, I'm pretty sure I got him from RPP but can't be sure. Regardless of where he came from, RPP has him in stock. Be forewarned, he needs quite a bit of trimming to get in the seat properly.

Steering wheel is ~1" further back, I just cut the existing column in the middle and slipped either end into the appropriate diameter (3/16?) brass tube.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:34 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Great! Thanks for the link.
Wacki is offline   Reply With Quote

Added a Wraith to my garage. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jeremyfowler33's wraith! **new pics added** jeremyfowler33 Axial Wraith 35 08-02-2013 10:20 PM