Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Bootyfab Supershafty'd wraith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 10:45 PM   #1
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Default Bootyfab Supershafty'd wraith

I was organizing the hobby room and found a bunch of parts that bolted together. Nothing too fancy, but should be good fun!

Parts list:
Wraith Chassis and skid
Stock tranny, or maybe two speed?
Revo links assortment
stock AX10 shocks
2.2 rims I had machined with 14mm hexes about four years ago
twin force axles, all short side shafts
RC4wd tires of some sort
servo mount, link mounts, and other goodies coming from SuperShafty.com
and random hardware and electronics grabbed from my bins
Attached Images

Last edited by JohnRobHolmes; 09-23-2013 at 10:53 PM.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2013, 10:55 PM   #2

Default Re: Bootyfab Supershafty'd wraith

A better shot, maybe I shall switch to 1/8th scale buggy shocks. They are the perfect length and stroke
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2013, 10:57 PM   #3
RcBros Hobbies

Holy crap, he does work on cars!
RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:00 PM   #4

Bringing all my stuff back home helped out. I have about six rollers needing electrics and three running, feels good!

Wheelbase on this rig is 14.5". I'll be getting new foams and kicks from Crawler Innovations shortly.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:26 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Oh Yeah!

Crawlaplooza coming up, be there or be square.
GySgt Hartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:42 PM   #6
D-Wray 4 Prez!

At least you know a guy with electronics.
Frankenwheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:44 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I have some used holmes electronics I can part with it nice buddy.

Thanks,
LIK
OFFROADRCKOREA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I am glad you are stretching the wheelbase a bit. Looks good.
67mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Bootyfab
boosted4lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:21 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

lol I checked this thread out just because I saw bootyfab in the title. Nice
xsputnikx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:07 AM   #11

Keeping with the bootyfab tradition, I am trying to use no fancy tools. Just rifling through parts boxes and hacking things up with a knife, hobby saw, dremel, drill, and tap.

Got my parts from SuperShafty.com! I wasn't sure how things would come together, but I was feeling lazy on fabbing up a servo mount so I got some mounts from Rick to see if it would help. While the package was coming my way we got some extra link mounts, crazy8 driveshafts (BEEFY!), 8mm long output and locker for axial tranny, and 14mm hexes.

You can see the link geometry we are using. Just enough triangulation to keep it stiff without binding the links. I did take a knife to the skidplate around the lower links, they were hitting. Roll axis seems really nice and stable. While at it, I replaced the rear shocks with OFNA buggy shocks ( I think thats where they came from). Perfect spring rate! The front does most of the work and the rear still uses 75% of the shock travel under vehicle weight.

The interior had to be hacked for the Revolver S 550 TORQUEMONSTER and spur gear to clear. Pinion/ spur ratio is 1:3.1, higher than the stock 4:1 ratio. Since the TorqueMonster is 1500kv this will help get decent wheelspeed on 3s. I used a smaller 48 pitch spur to clear the maxx shafts, cause that's what was in my parts boxes

I hope the maxx shafts or the spur will be the weakest link in the drivetrain, both would be a quick fix. I already had Maxx shafts set up for the 2 speed rc4wd tranny and TF axles, so they were used instead of the Crazy 8 driveshafts. Between the extra locker, driveshafts, link mounts, and servo plates I have plenty of parts left for a second TF rig

Getting tired of the stock electronics locations, I ripped out all the stock mounts except for the battery tray. The hood was hinged using wire hangers from Ace Hardware, random course thread screws from an axial kit, and some plastic backing washers found in a random axial parts tree. I used tamiya ball studs up front where the screws normally sit, the hood is drilled enough to pop over the studs with some force. If I have any trouble with the hood coming open I'll just throw a body clip on it too.

There is enough room for a high discharge 3800mah 3s pack up front, tucked under the hood. I will typically use smaller packs, 2200 size.
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2013, 08:14 AM   #12
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

Bootylicious.
SkaldidDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:25 AM   #13

Next up was the servo mount. Previously I had made a servo mount/ link mount jobber from a cutting board. It would have hit the frame, and looked super ugly. I also didn't like the link geometry options, too much axle swing. Because of the narrowed axles, there wasn't enough room to use SuperShafty's link mounts AND the servo mount. So I kept the stock plastic "link" mounts and did some brainstorming on how to use the parts Rick sent. What can I say, the 4 links were already good and I'm too lazy to redo everything.

After thinking about it a while, I decided to use Rick's clamping 4 link mounts and some booty fab or parts bin magic. After about 30 minutes of going through stuff, I found the right combo of parts. The SuperShafty clamping 4 link mounts, some classic RCP TLT upper link mounts, stock AX10 servo plate, and axial servo standoffs looked promising.

Rick's 4 link mounts had the same hole spacing as the OG TLT mounts, so the idea was in motion. A quick trip to the hardware store for 6-32 countersunk screws, and tapping the TLT link mounts for 6-32 threads was all it took. Easy peasy! It was as simple as tapping the threads, cleaning them out with solvent, then adding locktite for the final assembly.

I'm going to hit up Rick about making modified 4 link mounts that would work for servo mounts too. Its a lot less machining than the current servo plates, so maybe it could be another option at a great price point.

Next post, shift servo linkage.
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I love where your going with this
And I really love the Servo Mount

What other trick you have up your sleeve........

Subscribed

Regards Rick
v84x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Hmmmmmmmmmm, time to paint these up!
Attached Images

Bc Paints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

I like it. Its like one ton axles but 1/10 scale. Now you just the power to push those axles to there limits.
tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:06 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by v84x4 View Post
I love where your going with this
And I really love the Servo Mount

What other trick you have up your sleeve........

Subscribed

Regards Rick
Absolutely loving the parts, Rick! I'm really glad you picked up the torch for Twin Force/ Mad Force stuff and started Supershafty.com, they really are great axles to work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bc Paints View Post
Hmmmmmmmmmm, time to paint these up!
Sweet!! If there is one thing I'm not going to bootyfab myself, it is the paint. Left up to me, I just spray everything black and slap a few stickers on the outside. Paint has always been my weakest skill, even when I was a child building models. Or maybe it is attention span that is my weakest skill, which is the #1 need for painting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuner View Post
I like it. Its like one ton axles but 1/10 scale. Now you just the power to push those axles to there limits.
How about a Revolver S 550 TorqueMonster I know good and well my maxx shafts will give up before the axles do. Probably be switching to these SuperShafty sliders soon.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:21 AM   #18
~THE SCALE SHOP~

what? john has free time?
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #19

Finished up the rig last night and thought I should catch up on progress before starting the day's motor building.

First pics show the shifter linkage. I mounted a ball end to capture the servo linkage, and connected the shift linkage to it with some collets I had laying around. Not the happiest with the setup, but it was easy, quick, and works well. If I were to redo it, I would tie the tranny into the front shock mount with a single plate and mount the servo under my battery.

While I was tearing out stock plastics, I threw some braces between the shock mounts. Made a pretty big difference in reducing chassis tweak, and hopefully it will keep me from busting up the chassis at high speed.

Having Rick's 12mm hexes opened up options. Love the roll pins! Losing regular cross pins is my go-to move. I stole my Vanquish beadlocks from another project, temporarily While I'm waiting on Eddie at Crawler Innovations to get more tires and foams, I figured I might as well run the best tire and foam combo I've wheeled. Doesn't do me any good having them on a shelf queen, right? If you haven't tried the Crawler Innovation dual stage foams yet, I HIGHLY recommend you get some. This is the combo I'm running Pit Bull 2.2 Rock Beast 2 & 6.0 Double Deuce Foam Combo

Since I swapped to VP wheels, issues arose with the parts fitment. Because I'm using big boy axles, the twin force axle nut hits the hub screws. On the rear, I violated my booty fab code of honor and chucked the axle nuts in my lathe to reduce the diameter. I also coned them to let it sit into a deep offset VP hub. On the front, I used unknown outers since they have a smaller thread and nut. Mad force? Twin force? Mystery parts box find. You can see the parts in the 5th pic. Left to right- stock axle nut, turned nut and stock axle, and mystery axle with smaller nut.

After getting it all rolling, I wired up the electronics and brainstormed for a few days on placement. I ended up cramming everything under the hood. The RX got put in the passenger floorboard. When body panels are installed it won't be very visible. For once in my life, I actually zip tied all the wires neatly. This rig isn't getting a hundred different motors cycled through for testing, so I felt compelled to tidy things up.

Last two shots are as it sits today, drove it around this morning while waiting for my son to get picked up. Full flex at weight, still some shock travel left in the rear. All we need now is fresh body panels and to go back through and locktite a few screws!
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2013, 08:53 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
what? john has free time?
In the mornings I get a half hour of semi-free time. If the baby allows Sometimes I can put him in a laundry basket and he stays happy while I play with toys in the shop.