Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: rc4wd King 110mm with faux piggyback shock?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default rc4wd King 110mm with faux piggyback shock?

I just bought a used truck and it came with these shocks,they look pretty nice and worked pretty well from the little I used them. Just got back from testing my sons truck and thought it might be fun to bring the wife just to walk with me,So I did and brought my wraith to let her drive while I was testing his out. LOL,Maybe I shouldnt have. She was all over running into trees and flipping it over,Long story short she managed to break the rear shaft rod in the shock! She was just going crazy and when it flipped she was kinda gunning it and trying to flip it,I think thats how it happened anyway,Maybe caught the back wheel on a tree or something ,I dont know? This happened in the first 2 mins.....Jeesh!

Im sure this break was caused by operator error,But was wondering if these were indeed known to be a good rugged shock or tend to be more on the fragile side. The rest of the truck has them on and I guess it would be cheaper to replace just the nroken one and have a spare,,but there not the cheapest at 35 bux a pair either. I found all the parts only thing needed is the shaft,But I didnt see any parts for the shock anywhere,anyone know something that would fit to fix this,or do I just need to order another set,or possible something new all together?
ProfitOfDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #2

Default Re: rc4wd King 110mm with faux piggyback shock?

do you like the rc4wd shocks?
loc0gring0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #3
ion
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfitOfDoom View Post
I just bought a used truck and it came with these shocks,they look pretty nice and worked pretty well from the little I used them. Just got back from testing my sons truck and thought it might be fun to bring the wife just to walk with me,So I did and brought my wraith to let her drive while I was testing his out. LOL,Maybe I shouldnt have. She was all over running into trees and flipping it over,Long story short she managed to break the rear shaft rod in the shock! She was just going crazy and when it flipped she was kinda gunning it and trying to flip it,I think thats how it happened anyway,Maybe caught the back wheel on a tree or something ,I dont know? This happened in the first 2 mins.....Jeesh!

Im sure this break was caused by operator error,But was wondering if these were indeed known to be a good rugged shock or tend to be more on the fragile side. The rest of the truck has them on and I guess it would be cheaper to replace just the nroken one and have a spare,,but there not the cheapest at 35 bux a pair either. I found all the parts only thing needed is the shaft,But I didnt see any parts for the shock anywhere,anyone know something that would fit to fix this,or do I just need to order another set,or possible something new all together?

yep they do indeed sell the replacement shock shaft kit.

Replacement Shock Shafts for King Shocks (110mm)

have fun with it! I run the kings, didn't like them at first but now that I have tested different weight oils they work pretty good.
ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:34 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Thanks,Good to know about the replacement parts!

I removed the shock to make sure that is all I needed and noticed that the rod on the site didnt look like the rod that was broken,Or What I Thought was broken!
Somehow the rod came unscrewed from the rod end,then the springs fell off and the shaft compressed inside the shock body making it look like it was broken. Luckily I found all the parts and is now back together,I put some loctite on it,,so hopefully this wont happen again.

Any tips on filling these shocks with oil,I had some 40w around and noticed they were really low,But im guessing these shocks you dont fill all the way up? When I did fill it up it wouldnt move all the way in,it would go like 3/4th the way in and the pressure would just stop it. The shocks were Really soft,I poured it out so it would move all the way in and out and just screw the preload collar down some to give it a tad more stiffness. But if you have some tips on how to set these shocks up,please let me know. Most shocks I worked on in the past with my other rc's you filled them all the way up and they moved up and down fine,,maybe these dont have holes in the pistons or something?
ProfitOfDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfitOfDoom View Post
Thanks,Good to know about the replacement parts!

I removed the shock to make sure that is all I needed and noticed that the rod on the site didnt look like the rod that was broken,Or What I Thought was broken!
Somehow the rod came unscrewed from the rod end,then the springs fell off and the shaft compressed inside the shock body making it look like it was broken. Luckily I found all the parts and is now back together,I put some loctite on it,,so hopefully this wont happen again.

Any tips on filling these shocks with oil,I had some 40w around and noticed they were really low,But im guessing these shocks you dont fill all the way up? When I did fill it up it wouldnt move all the way in,it would go like 3/4th the way in and the pressure would just stop it. The shocks were Really soft,I poured it out so it would move all the way in and out and just screw the preload collar down some to give it a tad more stiffness. But if you have some tips on how to set these shocks up,please let me know. Most shocks I worked on in the past with my other rc's you filled them all the way up and they moved up and down fine,,maybe these dont have holes in the pistons or something?
I run a 7000 weight diff lube in my kings, you cant run them full like you said maybe 3/4 full just enough to get a little rebound. They are great setup like that tons of dampening, smooth, but they do eventully leak out and need rebuilt but they last for a while. keep in mind my rig is heavy 10lb wraith. my buddy with his lighter setup scx10 runs 2000 weight in his kings and likes them. I just bought another set of 100mm kings for my 1.9 bronco to replace proline slash powerstrokes, not cause there better shock cause they are leaky but cause I can make them work really good and still look scale and adds scale points (reservoirs), only downfall is rebuilding them often but hey perform for me.
WAFFLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:21 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I love the look of the kings, but $90 for leaky shocks? No thanks
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote

rc4wd King 110mm with faux piggyback shock? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New in stock King Off-Road Scale Piggyback Shocks w/Faux Reservoir (110mm) (2) RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 1 03-14-2013 06:53 PM
New King Off-Road Scale Piggyback Shocks w/Faux Reservoir (100mm) (2) RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 2 12-04-2012 09:17 PM
rc4wd 110mm shock problem supercrawlerfreak General Crawlers 6 07-16-2008 08:40 PM