Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: What to do

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #1

Default What to do

I have a wraith that I am building. It was a rtr. I put a 4ch spektrum in, Vanquish servo relocate, savox with 300 tq servo. rc4wd Aluminum Steering Link Kit for Axial Wraith , Rock Krawler Extended Length Aluminum Links for Axial Wraith , castle creations mamba max pro , prohline shocks 6063-1 with the blue springs all the way around with 25 weight oil in them.

Now with this said I am new to the rock crawling rc. I have a lot of rc cars and trucks. I use to race at a carpet track with a tc5. so I do have a little understanding on how to set a car up. Now a rock crawler is an all new game for me.

What motor should I use for what I have?

I have the panhard kit on order.

I put weights in the front rims with new tires on.

I have a 3s 2200 bat that I will be using.

I want to make this a true rock crawler. I do not need speed just want to go over and through what ever gets in my way.

do I need to put a bec on this set up and why if so. I am not sure what they do.

Thanks for the help.
rugslug01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: What to do

super wraith rc crawler - YouTube

This is mine. I think this is kinda what you are looking for. It goes slow, a little faster than walking speed. I see you are looking to extend the wheelbase. If you are looking for the ultimate, ask yourself whether you want to stay with 2.2 size wheels and tires.

Bigger wheels and tires/longer wheelbase is key to conquering tougher terrain. If you want to stay with 2.2 wheels and tires, then all you can do is lower it to keep it from rolling over all the time. Problem is once you lower it you will get high centered on pretty much everything. And once you are high centered, you need wheelspeed, which you wont have. (that is if you are shooting for a slower crawler)
67mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Bec is a must!!! Check the specs on servo, u may not have 300oz torque unless have bec set to certain volts...it regulates the power in system to retain proper amount of power(volts) to servo(s),lights etc without pulling too much from motor/esc I think??? All I know is you need a BEC.
sic1to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
RCC Addict

A bec is like lubrication it is needed. I don't know of any esc with a internal bec that will handle a servo over 200oz. HH BR-XL has the best out there and he still recommends a external bec with them.
craddock35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

If you dont already I would invest in some aluminum Chubs and knuckles,Those were the first things to break for mine. The BEC will really wake that servo up,you will need the castle link to adjust the voltage on the bec. As far as the motor you can go all different type of ways,but the other week I passed going with a expensive motor and got a traxxas 21T titan motor and couldnt be happier. It was 20 bux I geared mine 15/80 and on 2s works fine,great crawling,speed is like a fast paced walk. Or if you need more speed drop the 3s in and its perfect,I think anyway. Run it through the muddy water,dirt etc. they last a pretty long time and when it gives up on you,its only 20 bux to fix.
ProfitOfDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #6

Thanks for the help.

Today I put the BEC in and what a difference that made.

I put the panhard kit in. This made the steering bump go away.

I put a bl speed passion 17.5 in. I had it laying around so I thought I would see ho it is. For gears I used 20/80. The truck crawls very good and there is a little more speed there. like I said before I am not after speed just want a crawler that will go over and through what ever gets in my way.
I will be looking to put a different motor in at some time just not sure what to get yet.

What else should I be looking at to make this a top notch crawler.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:43 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

how bought some decent foams

dinky steering.
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #8

what foams are good? I have never looked into them.

not sure what the dinky steering is.

I just got the 73 bronco body. Not sure on what I am going to do about the paint yet.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #9
RCC Addict

You might want to change your gearing. I am not 100% sure on brushless but that gearing will burn up a brushed motor and I would think it would a brushless.

Foams most everybody uses crawler innovations foams.

Search the vendor section for dinky and crawler innovations. You can send a message to Eddie about the foams let him know what you are running how much it weighs and what it is mostly used for and he can help you chose the foams.
craddock35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

BEC: yes! I am not running anything crazy but I can tell you that my Wraith drives so much better with it installed.

My combo is the Tekin FXR with 35T HD brushed motor. I have an interest in rock racing with a brushless setup on this rig. I like to climb on things slow and steady. This combo is awesome on my truck! Lots of torque and excellent control. The setup is easy on the actual ESC itself and you can set your drag brake to whatever you want along with other settings.
JetBlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #11

Can I set the Mamba max pro so that the truck will not roll backwards when it is on an incline? If so how do I do it?
Old 10-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Program the drag break to 100 ir crawler if you have thst version. After that adjust the brake curve to almost inclined all the way. It will stick to rocks. To adjust it when your going down hill aimply tap your throttle trim forward or back for up or downhill free rolling. Works like a charm

Thanks,
LIK
OFFROADRCKOREA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #13

Got the Bronco painted. I went with blue and the hood black. Came out nice. Not sure what direction I am going now with this build?
Old 10-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Take it out and try everything (trails/rocks/hill climbs/etc) so you can decide what you wanna do. Tailor your rig to what you like to do the most.
JetBlast is offline   Reply With Quote