Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Poison Spyder RTR or regular RTR?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 10:24 PM   #1

Default Poison Spyder RTR or regular RTR?

hi everyone,

should be getting some "extra" money this month and i want to get a wraith. Wanted to know everyones thoughts on which one and why? i personally like the green more than the blue. i want to be able to bash more than slow crawling so i didnt know if the poison spyder already came lowered? also, i'd love to have a hinged hood and move the battery to the front (not sure if one or the other makes it easier to do that) final thing is i really like the idea of the lights coming ready to go....ah decisions decisions. thanks for your thoughts!
djb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2013, 08:07 AM   #2

Kinda sounds like you made up you own mind already I personally have the PS wraith I went with it mainly for the beadlocks and I'm a jeep guy.
justinf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Poison Spyder RTR or regular RTR?

I have the Poison spyder wraith and the battery mod is the same, the hood mod is just a bit different but still easy and no issues with it, personally I like doing my own light mods so no lights was not an issue. I also liked the beadlocks coming with it even though they arent the best, they still work well enough.
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Do you like blue Jeeps or green Isuzus?
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #5

Green RTR for sure! Nigel is apparently a little out of it. Isuzu? Really? The chassis are the same but the bodies a different which makes the Green one easier as its less effort to mod. . Yes it's easy to mod the PSC model, but the standard RTR doesn't have same of the restrictions. Battery is easy to mount in front on either but hood cuts aren't as clean on the PSC. Flip the shock/link mounts in the green and they're identical except for wheels. And the BFG's on the PSC aren't the Axial R35 compound and the ripsaws on the green are. Get a better set of beadlocks and you're even.
Rivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:46 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I was debating as you are over the Rtr and the ps. I went with the ps and wish I'd just got the Rtr. I cut the body for the front battery mod, I added some stock Rtr leds, realized the ps beadwork didn't hold that well,so I got some vanquish wheels. So I guess what I'm saying is the ps beadlocks aren't that great, the hood mod is cleaner, and you get lights with the Rtr. If I did it over again I would have just got the kit because now mine is all built with a brushless in it, but between the 2 I would have gone with the Rtr.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk now Free

Last edited by Tmaxxed; 10-11-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Tmaxxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmaxxed View Post
I was debating as you are over the Rtr and the ps. I went with the ps and wish I'd just got the Rtr. I cut the body for the front battery mod, I added some stock Rtr leds, realized the ps beadwork didn't hold that well,so I got some vanquish wheels. So I guess what I'm saying is the ps beadlocks aren't that great, the hood mod is cleaner, and you get lights with the Rtr. If I did it over again I would have just got the kit because now mine is all built with a brushless in it, but between the 2 I would have gone with the Rtr.

Tmaxxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #8

I am new to this so I do not have the best opinion. I went with the PS. I have replaced a lot of the truck to make it how I wanted it. I wish the lights would of come with it.
I like it a lot.
rugslug01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:54 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivi View Post
Green RTR for sure! Nigel is apparently a little out of it. Isuzu? Really? The chassis are the same but the bodies a different which makes the Green one easier as its less effort to mod. . Yes it's easy to mod the PSC model, but the standard RTR doesn't have same of the restrictions. Battery is easy to mount in front on either but hood cuts aren't as clean on the PSC. Flip the shock/link mounts in the green and they're identical except for wheels. And the BFG's on the PSC aren't the Axial R35 compound and the ripsaws on the green are. Get a better set of beadlocks and you're even.
I'm "out of it"? What hood does Jake use on the Night Stalker II?
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #10

The stock lights are not that great get the vanquish light bar for it. Or there is other companies making light bars. Just go to the for sale section and buy a used wraith so you can get a nice one for cheaper.
size does matter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Sounds like the regular rtr us your pick, I'm just not a fan of the cheesy poison spider personally. But either way you look at your going to end up changing allot before you know it you'll have a 1500 dollar toy truck :eek:
racin707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Truthfully. I wouldn't buy one. I've got one, and I've put a ton of money into it, and I still need to upgrade a crap ton more stuff. () I think it would be cheaper to buy quality parts at the beginning, and then you won't have to upgrade the plastic parts. If I were you I'd buy some vanquish axle housings, a wraith cage (you can find them on Ebay), and some other parts. Buy a quality motor, and good shocks. Just look through build threads and find some parts you like.

Don't get me wrong, this was a great learning experience but I think it would have been cheaper if I bought quality parts and built it up from parts.
Bluebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:47 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebox View Post
Truthfully. I wouldn't buy one. I've got one, and I've put a ton of money into it, and I still need to upgrade a crap ton more stuff. () I think it would be cheaper to buy quality parts at the beginning, and then you won't have to upgrade the plastic parts. If I were you I'd buy some vanquish axle housings, a wraith cage (you can find them on Ebay), and some other parts. Buy a quality motor, and good shocks. Just look through build threads and find some parts you like.

Don't get me wrong, this was a great learning experience but I think it would have been cheaper if I bought quality parts and built it up from parts.
I kinda feel the same, but atleast with a RTR truck you can drive it and upgrade as you get the coin.

As for axle housings.. RC4WD is supposed to have an awesome deal on Aluminum Housings.. Like $90 and they come with Aluminum C's and aluminum bearing holders too. Thats Big value.
On that note.. Ive never personally seen or heard of anyone having a problem with plastic housings.. so... maybe the first $$$ should be spent on something other than axle housings.. 10 piece Titainium links and Alumuminum Steering knuckles would be my first parts.
madkawi650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #14

I just ordered the Poison Spyder rig...it should be in tomorrow. Probably not the right reason for choosing it over the RTR, but I chose it because I drive a jeep.

Last edited by aggieljh; 11-08-2013 at 09:11 AM.
aggieljh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieljh View Post
I just ordered the Poison Spyder kit...it should be in tomorrow. Probably not the right reason for choosing it over the RTR, but I chose it because I drive a jeep.
There is no Poison Spyder kit, it only comes as a RTR...
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivi View Post
Green RTR for sure! Nigel is apparently a little out of it. Isuzu? Really? The chassis are the same but the bodies a different which makes the Green one easier as its less effort to mod. .
Actually, if you will research the 1:1 buggy (even though he did say it was the wrong manufacturer) it has Suzuki Samurai inspired skins.

To the OP:

The original Wraith:
- Comes with LEDs
- Comes with R40 Ripsaws
- Comes with chrome/black Raceline Renegade wheels
- Comes with Suzuki Sami inspired skins

PS Wraith:
- Doesn't come with LEDs
- Comes with R40 BFG Krawlers
- Comes with Trailready "beadlocks"
- Doesn't come with a hex drive only pin drive
- The wheels are VP SLW hub compatible
- Licensed Jeep skin

Last edited by Lentsnh2012; 11-07-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by madkawi650 View Post
I kinda feel the same, but atleast with a RTR truck you can drive it and upgrade as you get the coin.

As for axle housings.. RC4WD is supposed to have an awesome deal on Aluminum Housings.. Like $90 and they come with Aluminum C's and aluminum bearing holders too. Thats Big value.
On that note.. Ive never personally seen or heard of anyone having a problem with plastic housings.. so... maybe the first $$$ should be spent on something other than axle housings.. 10 piece Titainium links and Alumuminum Steering knuckles would be my first parts.
Really? Mine have stripped c-hub screws. I'll have to buy a new housing.
Bluebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:38 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebox View Post
Really? Mine have stripped c-hub screws. I'll have to buy a new housing.
Beef Tubes.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axles...s-finally.html
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
There is no Poison Spyder kit, it only comes as a RTR...
sorry....i mis-spoke. I meant to say rig.
aggieljh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh2012 View Post
Actually, if you will research the 1:1 buggy (even though he did say it was the wrong manufacturer) it has Suzuki Samurai inspired skins.

To the OP:

The original Wraith:
- Comes with LEDs
- Comes with R40 Ripsaws
- Comes with chrome/black Raceline Renegade wheels
- Comes with Suzuki Sami inspired skins

PS Wraith:
- Doesn't come with LEDs
- Comes with R40 BFG Krawlers
- Comes with Trailready "beadlocks"
- Doesn't come with a hex drive only pin drive
- The wheels are VP SLW hub compatible
- Licensed Jeep skin
PS wraith also have:
-soft springs from Wraith KIT (purple)
-Lower shock mounts already flipped from stock
-shocks already mounted on "lowest" point to the chassis
Trail Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Poison Spyder RTR or regular RTR? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Difference between regular Wraith and poison spyder ? merin_83 Axial Wraith 21 08-18-2014 01:30 PM
Poison spyder or rtr wraith ax10tn Axial Wraith 6 09-02-2013 07:42 PM
Newbie RTR Poison Spyder experience. Cale262 Axial Wraith 42 08-23-2013 10:36 PM