Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Your experience with Axial Rockster Beadlocks?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2014, 01:12 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Question Your experience with Axial Rockster Beadlocks?

I am bidding on a wraith on e-bay. No wheels/tires or electronics.

I am looking for your experience with the Axial Rockster bead locks.

They are a plastic rim with Aluminum bead locks.

Or would the better choice be to throw even more money at it with a set of aluminum wheels and aluminum bead locks?

I plan on a 60/40 mix of trail bash/crawl type running.

Thanks for sharing your experience and advice!

If this is the wrong place for this topic then please move it to a more appropriate place. My apologies if it is.
DrDiff952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2014, 01:34 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Your experience with Axial Rockster Beadlocks?

They get the job done. Might not be as cool as the expensive alternatives, but they work. Remember to go easy on the screws holding the ring, as it's plastic and strips easier. Wouldn't worry about stripping the hexes unless you are running insane power.
Odd-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:03 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd-M View Post
They get the job done. Might not be as cool as the expensive alternatives, but they work. Remember to go easy on the screws holding the ring, as it's plastic and strips easier. Wouldn't worry about stripping the hexes unless you are running insane power.
Axial plastic beadlocks are great wheels imo, especially for the money you can weight them, change beadlock rings (different look, color, weight). I like to use some 3/8" 2-56 buttonheads or flat heads (countersunk) screws as they don't strip out as easily in the plastic and hold the rings very tight. The included 2x10mm screws work fine though. BPC, Locked Up and a few others sell aftermarket rings for them, as well as the Axial different colors. That said these wheels will make your Wraith too wide. Narrowed XR10 beadlocks, CAC, VP, RC4WD, Mayhem, etc. etc. etc. are available too.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:16 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I am not going to compete so width is only beneficial!

Bang for Buck is a major part of my interest.

Another choice could be the wheels from the Poison Spider But I have heard that they don't hold the beads that well.
DrDiff952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:50 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Good wheels, good price: Mickey Thompson Mickey Metal MT-28 Internal Beadlock Stamped 2.2" Steel Wheels

Great Foams: Crawler Tires, Crawler Foams, Parts and Accessories by Crawler Innovations
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:51 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I haven't run into anything to complain about. The first thing I did was a pull test on the beads and they held just fine. Much better than the trail ready bead locks that come on the poison spider. I say you can't go wrong!
Cmarcan167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:59 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I haven't had any real problems with any axial beadlocks. I'm such a fan I dumped a set of nice alloy beadlocks in favor of another set of axials.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:03 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I had a set on my comp rig when they first came out years ago. Be very careful and stop tightening the ring bolts as soon as you feel the SLIGHTEST resistance. The hex area is pretty weak too, like not hold up to a integy 35t weak.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:34 PM   #9
Suck it up!

The black wheels are a little soft. I've blown out hexes on them.

The chrome coated white wheels are stronger.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:35 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calderwood View Post
The hex area is pretty weak too, like not hold up to a integy 35t weak.

Try telling that to my rigs. I did have one set of rockstars that started having hex issues but they were old black molded wheels that seemed to be of a different plastic composition. The hexes were a bit chewed up when I got them and didn't live long after since they wouldn't stay tight. I glued some plastic hexes into the wheels and run them as pin drive now with no issues.

I have learned to double nut my wheels on since for whatever reason I can't keep them tight. Ive bought a few different brands of nyloc nuts and all came loose. A standard thin nut under a new nyloc has done the trick. My issue wasn't exclusive to plastic wheels either, I couldn't keep some nice alloy beadlocks tight either. That's actually when I started double nutting my wheels.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:37 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I dont have axial beadlocks but I do have several different brands of plastic rims with metal beadlocks and have had no issues with them at all.
but I am running 2s on them, so I cant say anything about higher powered batteries.
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:44 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
The black wheels are a little soft. I've blown out hexes on them.

The chrome coated white wheels are stronger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Try telling that to my rigs. I did have one set of rockstars that started having hex issues but they were old black molded wheels that seemed to be of a different plastic composition. The hexes were a bit chewed up when I got them and didn't live long after since they wouldn't stay tight. I glued some plastic hexes into the wheels and run them as pin drive now with no issues.

I have learned to double nut my wheels on since for whatever reason I can't keep them tight. Ive bought a few different brands of nyloc nuts and all came loose. A standard thin nut under a new nyloc has done the trick. My issue wasn't exclusive to plastic wheels either, I couldn't keep some nice alloy beadlocks tight either. That's actually when I started double nutting my wheels.
Mine were black and just like White-Trash I CA'd plastic hexes into them.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:40 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

my buddy stripped all 4 hexs on the rocksters and im using the 8 hole rims and love em. ax8097 is the part num. im using a 13.5 sensor motor.
PileDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:43 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

get the RC4WD 2.2 Mickey Thompson Mickey Metal MT-28 Internal Beadlock Stamped 2.2" Steel Wheels

54.99 for all 4 @ RPP or 52.78 for the Axials at RPP, just a few dollar more for a metal wheel thats going to last a long time

pvo_srt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:22 PM   #15
RCC Addict

I run the Axial rockstars to death and they hold up just fine!

I would recommend a set of R35 ripsaws with stock foams for someone cost conscious....the tires just work great and the stock foams are just fine instead of upgrading them to something "special" that will only and cost to your purchase. I see no need to upgrade my foams....yet. (used or using that setup on 3 vehicles and counting)
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:30 PM   #16
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsawacs View Post
I run the Axial rockstars to death and they hold up just fine!

I would recommend a set of R35 ripsaws with stock foams for someone cost conscious....the tires just work great and the stock foams are just fine instead of upgrading them to something "special" that will only and cost to your purchase. I see no need to upgrade my foams....yet. (used or using that setup on 3 vehicles and counting)
"Special" foams make a world of difference, believe me.

If you're just bombing around though, I wouldn't worry about them. Stock is fine.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote