Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wraith Servo and Steering link question *new wraith*

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2014, 03:04 PM   #1

Default Wraith Servo and Steering link question *new wraith*

Hi,

So I just picked up a Wraith, I'm going to be using it mostly for crawling and less rock racing. I've used a Scx10 a lot in the past, and finally broke down and bought a Wraith. The first thing I noticed when I was crawling around on my bed ( come on we've all done it) is that the from steering link/servo is horrible. Which obviously doesn't work well for slow on rock crawling.

So I was considering upgrading the servo, but I read that the servo by itself won't do much and that the links are made out of a potato and flex a bit. If I upgrade the link and the servo am I just going to end up breaking other stuff?

I'm really not wanting to dump a ton of money into this, but this seems like a number one fix
Mayday! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2014, 03:18 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Wraith Servo and Steering link question *new wraith*

Steering linkage must obviously go, you can see the flex just by touching it it. Chubs/knuckles should also be replaced to avoid breakage
seanmnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:50 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Do the servo...castle BEC....and an aluminum servo horn\arm

The steering links flex to help prevent damage to the servo gears and other parts....
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:58 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Get a Castle BEC and STRC/VP/BlueMonkeyRC etc steering kit but keep the plastic servo arm on there. If you hit anything too hard, the plastic servo arm will strip out instead of hurting your servo.
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:03 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I did the reasearch and I ended up with the hitec 7954, vanquise steering links and robitronics servo horn. I felt this was the best bang for your buck. The barn.com sells the servo for like 70.00 bucks. These are all quality parts and will serve you well.
lala4fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:51 PM   #6

So Question:

Am I at risk of breaking the Servo the first day out? Tomorrow I'm heading out of town and meeting a friend, we are going to rock crawl and play in the sand.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:57 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

personal experience my stok wraith servo fried on my first run 5 minutes in. As far as steering goes i recently upgraded to the ckrc steering set up and am in love it bring the linkage up out of the way gives me max steering through and was fair cheap. i also run a astle bec and savox servo putting 444 oz out. must upgrade steering if you plan on doing any mild/hard crawling.
Japanwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayday! View Post
So Question:

Am I at risk of breaking the Servo the first day out? Tomorrow I'm heading out of town and meeting a friend, we are going to rock crawl and play in the sand.
Yep, you will fry the servo, break an axle hub and strip the spur gear (and most likely twist a driveshaft if it runs long enough) all in the first 5-10 minutes of use.

Welcome to the hobby

THX_138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:11 PM   #9

It will always be something, but like I try to tell my wife, that's part of the fun!
mbrycet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:15 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I swapped in an STRC steering setup (annoyed that he end links were not included and had to source them).
I have run the stock servo for 10 runs. When my rig binds up bad I don't try to force it, I back out or pick it up. Driving that way the stock knuckles are doing fine but I already have major slop in the servo.

A Blue-Bird servo is going in this week. It's a cheap servo but it's tough and waterproof. I have them in my SCX10, Stampede, and Slash and have never broken one.
Mud Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:58 PM   #11

Smile Re: Wraith Servo and Steering link question *new wraith*

Well the Wraith survived its first day. Went to Montana De Oro (Near San Luis Obispo, Ca) and ran through the dirt for a while then headed down near the tide pools and crawled on the rocks. I had a lot of fun and really want to get a really nice crawling location!

Here's a couple of pics

imgur: the simple image sharer

imgur: the simple image sharer

Wraith Servo and Steering link question *new wraith* - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best steering servo for Wraith Jus Axial Wraith 22 01-16-2013 02:20 AM
Wraith TEAMSTRC steering link/drag link???? SwampDawg 2.2 Scale Rigs 1 07-02-2012 04:03 PM
Wraith Aluminum Steering/Link Upgrades? alexchen86 Axial Wraith 2 10-26-2011 01:05 PM