Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wraith Trans internals...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 12:53 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Wraith Trans internals...

Hey all,
Ive been doing a lot of reading and researching on the trans. Im starting to upgrade the internals of my transmission with RR gears and what not.. It's my understanding that the wraith/scx/ax10 basically share the same internals with the exception of the output shafts (lengths) and of course the housing itself. My question is, and perhaps Ive already answered it myself, if i spend the money upgrading my wraith trans now, can I directly swap all my HD internals over to an ax10/scx housing down the road?

One more thing, I started by upgrading to steel outdrive and idler gears. Other than driveshafts, what would be the next logical upgrade to the trans? Ill be running a Brood 35t Apocalypse HHK on 3s soon and I know I'll start toasting parts.

Thanks.
RMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Wraith Trans internals...

essentially, yes, the parts will swap over except the output. i think the part numbers are different between the AX10 trans vs Wraith, for the other gears, but the part is essentially the same. next logical step for you might be 32p gears, slipper elimination, and a metal trans housing.

here is the ideal bomb-proof trans setup for Wraith:

SuperShafty.com

- 8mm Chromoly trans outputs 8mm Outputs
- Gen3 sipper top shaft Axial Top Shaft

Robinson Racing Products

- Gen3 slipper clutch for the Traxxas Slash 2wd (p/n: 7856)
- Hardened Steel Idler Gear (p/n: 1541)
- Hardened Machined Diff Locker Gear (p/n: 1540)
- A 32 Pitch pinion

Traxxas

- Slipper re-build kit (p/n: 5552x)
- Maxx yoke (p/n: 4927x) 2x
- Maxx Half Shaft (p/n: 4951X)
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:07 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Cool, thanks for the reply. Ive been running 32p spur/pinion gears for a long time now. I loved the "bomb proof" trans thread but I can't buck up for all of it right away. Just wanna make sure im not shooting myself in the foot now by not being able to eventually swap over if I wanted.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:20 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkolator View Post
essentially, yes, the parts will swap over except the output. i think the part numbers are different between the AX10 trans vs Wraith, for the other gears, but the part is essentially the same. next logical step for you might be 32p gears, slipper elimination, and a metal trans housing.

SuperShafty.com

Robinson Racing Products

- A 32 Pitch pinion

Traxxas

Skip the RRP gears and buy the Hot Racing Hardened steel gearset: Hot Racing Axial SCX10 AX10 Wraith hard steel center gears set

or their newer lightweight steel gearset: Hot Racing Super Duty Light Weight Steel Gear Set SCX10

Either of these gearsets is better and about same price than Robinson.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:21 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

yes, it does add up in cost - but you gotta pay to play!

i'm doubting whether you'll actually be swapping anything over later down the road -- with RCs, the trend seems to be to simply build another one for the 2nd rig, hehehe
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:06 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

The Hot Racing products are cheaper, but in my experience their tolerances are not up to par in manufacturing and materials. I've used Robinson Racing gears in my Traxxas rigs, and they have never failed. I've used other Hot Racing products but not the gears in my Wraith and ended up replacing them rather quickly.
DinehCaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:53 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Good to know. Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:11 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinehCaveman View Post
The Hot Racing products are cheaper, but in my experience their tolerances are not up to par in manufacturing and materials. I've used Robinson Racing gears in my Traxxas rigs, and they have never failed. I've used other Hot Racing products but not the gears in my Wraith and ended up replacing them rather quickly.
I agree with most of their other products, but their tranny gears and axle lockers are great.

Locker/spool: Hot Racing Axial SCX10 AX10 Wraith Unibody SHD Differential Locker
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:12 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

I was lookin at the HR ax10 locked steel gear trans. Seemed like a decent starting point and for what it cost, it's not far off from some rrp gears and somethin else, plus then you have an alum. case too. Went with the rrp gears, no Gen 3 yet but I think that would be next. Im definitely okay with the weak link being my plastic spur gear. Easy to replace, and im not sure where the stress would be allocated down the line if I were to have a steel spur.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:25 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

If you set the slipper properly then it becomes the weak point, loads of people lock them down tight and it defeats the point of having one, I found the stock slipper to a ass to set properly, but since I've gone Gen3 I've now got my slipper setting dialed and it protects the whole transmission perfectly
Curb Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkolator View Post

SuperShafty.com

Robinson Racing Products

- A 32 Pitch pinion

Traxxas

Sorry to resurrect and old thread but looking at upgrading my wraith transmission with the traxxas stuff. Does the slipper clutch work with stock setup (I have the older single one) or do I need a traxxas one if so what one?
lurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:48 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Not sure, about the stock parts, I was under the impression that you needed the SuperShafty top shaft for the RRP gen3 Traxxas slipper unit.

The SuperShafty top shaft is designed for the RRP Gen3 Traxxas slipper unit, so if you had the top shaft then you could use a Traxxas slipper unit, or any of the replacements from other manufacturers.

I’ve built a few of those coveted SuperShafty bombproof transmissions with multiple spur gears, and top shafts arrangements.
My favourite is to use a lockedup rc slipper eliminator, and an RRP1558 spur gear To totally eliminate the extra useless parts in the stock slipper assembly.
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:31 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch View Post
Sorry to resurrect and old thread but looking at upgrading my wraith transmission with the traxxas stuff. Does the slipper clutch work with stock setup (I have the older single one) or do I need a traxxas one if so what one?
Since you have the old style slipper, drill out the hole in the topshaft to accept the pin from a Traxxas slipper and you can bolt it on. I used a slipper from a Jato for the 32P spur but the assembly from the Rustler/Stampede will work too.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:19 PM   #14

thanks for the info, I will get a traxxas slipper.
lurch is offline   Reply With Quote

Wraith Trans internals... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tooth count on wraith trans-internals? SwampDawg Axial Wraith 5 06-18-2013 01:06 AM
Too Much Power + Stock WK Trans Internals = Offroader5 HPI Wheely King 22 04-23-2008 07:15 PM