Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: creepinchevy's 1.9 wraith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 06:29 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default creepinchevy's 1.9 wraith

Well to start off i got this wraith in a trade. A trade which I tend to look back on from time to time but ay, shtuff happens. When i first saw the wraith i thought it looked killer but when i received it and started tearing into it i realized the obvious.. im gonna have to put in some work in this beast haha. Oh well tho, thats part of the fun in this hobby right? Thankfully i got it as a slider tho so all my electronics went in it. Motor: dynamite 20t, esc: axial, tx/rx: traxxas tqi, gearing: 87/14 48p, servo: axial ae-3, battery: 5400mah 2s. First thing i did was take the hideous bronco body off of it (it does say chevy in my username haha);) then i proceeded to remove the hunk of hang up called a skidplate under the front axle.
Before:

After:

Next i went ahead and tore apart the axles and tranny, regreased em, and put on aluminum steering tie rods from a dingo. Threw on my 1.9 axial beadlocks with MThead rings on Rok Lox and started checking my articulation when i noticed the servo was hitting a support brace on the chassis which limited my artic like crazy. Took the brace off and found a better way to support the mid front of the chassis. After that i hooked my battery up just to see if it ran smooth and noticed something else.. A loud "knock" coming from the front axle. I knew it wasnt a gear but i checked em again when it noticed it was the metal driveshaft making the noise. Apparently when the original dude put it together he used a stock 3 link in the front from a honcho i believe which made the driveshaft angle wayyy to steep. Added some spacers to the 3 link and it fixed it right up. Hoping to get some new metal links soon tho so i dont have to worry about that issue anymore. Now she rides smooth as butter

Now i needed to figure out a body. Fortunately i had an old blazer body with a kick ass scale paint job on it so i chopped it up and threw it on. Looks damn good if you ask me
Also added a floor at the bed for some scale goodies. Mounted a spare tire on the rear and called it bacon. The thing i most enjoyed originally about this rig tho is the chassis was already painted, had the fastback mod and a pretty legit metal stinger so those were definitely a plus heres how she sits now

Hoping to get some new metal links in soon, hd gears up front and od in rear, shorten wheelbase at least an inch, 4 link it up front, get the actual wraith blazer body and bulletproof the tranny. Stay tuned

- Richard

Last edited by creepinchevy69; 05-06-2014 at 08:58 PM.
creepinchevy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2014, 07:30 PM   #2
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: creepinchevy's 1.9 wraith

Painting the cage sure does make it "pop"
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:36 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
Painting the cage sure does make it "pop"

Thanks man it sure does hoping to paint match it after i purchase the wraith blazer body too

- Richard
Old 04-01-2014, 08:24 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Im dign that chevy wraith, im wondering , who makes the blazer body for the wraith??
fried daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:36 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fried daddy View Post
Im dign that chevy wraith, im wondering , who makes the blazer body for the wraith??

Thanks man! and dynamic concepts does, its a 1970s body style

- Richard
Old 04-02-2014, 08:26 AM   #6

great work looks bad arse!!
jeepertim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:22 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepertim View Post
great work looks bad arse!!

Thanks man i appreciate it!!

- Richard
Old 04-03-2014, 02:06 PM   #8

Nice rig
gmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:37 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Got a little update for this rig finally got ahold of a 4 link yesterday and some stock links from a JK that helped bring in my wheelbase about a half an inch.

Was only able to get the links swapped last night and am planning on 4 linking it today. Tapatalks being REALLY annoying right now too and rarely lets me post pics up but ill try to get more up as soon as i can. Thanks for looking

- Richard
Old 04-06-2014, 11:53 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Finally got the front 4 link installed tonight and also got some aluminum lower links installed as well they were stock links off an xr10 so they had to be shortened but nothing too serious.

Wheelbase is sitting at around 13" now and im lovin it so far. Tested it before i got the aluminum links this morning and i gotta say this rig surprised me. Only problem was the body roll over on side hills but switched my suspension setup to full droop so that should help with that. Hopefully.. haha anyways thanks for readin and hoping to have another update soon

- Richard

Last edited by creepinchevy69; 04-07-2014 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:41 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Got some pics of my suspension set up this morning and was hoping to get some feed back on it. Right now im at a 13" wheelbase with about 3" of belly clearance. Shocks are about 3" at full compression and stretch to about 5 1/2"-6" at full droop. Was just wondering if anyone would happen to see any faults with this setup? I know i wont know much until i test it but if i can get little tweaks done based on others experiences itd help me before i go out on the rocks again

Fully compressed/ride height

Full flex front and rear

Full droop

Any and all input is welcome! Thanks for looking

- Richard
Old 04-08-2014, 11:50 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by capthook View Post
Very nice work!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Thanks man Got a chance to some more work tonight also. Actually, just got an itch and decided to flip my tranny to hopefully help get rid of torque twist. My battery was dead tho so well see how a flipped wraith tranny does

- Richard
Old 04-10-2014, 03:47 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Last edited by creepinchevy69; 05-06-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:57 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Well got a chance to test my rig out at a comp today and overall it was a damn good run. Finished the first 2 courses with ease then pointed out on the last course at the last gate-____- oh well tho im damn happy with its performance so far. The droop setup is the best suspension setup ive had yet and flipping the tranny definitely helped as well! Hoping to get some RR gears for the tranny soon now unless i decide to build the front end first (knucks, chubs, etc) but well see what happens. Thanks for looking and will update again soon! Heres some pics from the comp

- Richard
Old 04-14-2014, 01:40 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Rig looks sick. I run the older body style Chevy C10 body and I would love to see how your axles and tires look under my rig. Props
havik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:28 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by havik View Post
Rig looks sick. I run the older body style Chevy C10 body and I would love to see how your axles and tires look under my rig. Props

Hell yeah thanks man! whats funny is ive acually been thinking about doing a c10 body as well, then give it a tough truck type look.. but we shall see haha.

Received some wraith shocks the other day too, pretty much brand spankin new but i didnt like the feel of em so im back to my original aluminum bodied shocks now. Hoping to have a decent update soon

- Richard
Old 04-16-2014, 12:09 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

My 1.9 Wraith runs pretty much the same set up as yours, and I found mine a bit prone to roll overs too.

I swapped the plastic seats out for a pair of home made alloy seats (much lighter), and I run a 2500mah soft case Lipo up front for better weight distribution. I used to use a 6000mah hard case in the front but it weighed nearly three times more than the one I use now.
Tonysmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:13 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonysmini View Post
My 1.9 Wraith runs pretty much the same set up as yours, and I found mine a bit prone to roll overs too.

I swapped the plastic seats out for a pair of home made alloy seats (much lighter), and I run a 2500mah soft case Lipo up front for better weight distribution. I used to use a 6000mah hard case in the front but it weighed nearly three times more than the one I use now.

How was your performance after the seat and battery switch man? I wouldnt mind making some alloy seats for my rig as well. It is true that the battery is quite heavy also but i feel like it helps more than hurts my setup by keeping the rig "planted" better now that i have a low COG. I mught try a smaller battery in the future tho just to give it a shot.

- Richard
Old 04-27-2014, 11:07 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Got a chance to do a final install on the lights last night came out pretty good even for them being so big. Also got a matching spare that ill be throwing on as well. Progress will be moving kind of slow now due to my car dying on me last week:/ hope you like tho and thanks for looking!

- Richard
Old 04-27-2014, 11:22 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Like your Rig! I was looking at those blazer bodies as well. They do look pretty sharp.
Thanks for the help with my wraith, I can only suggest on thing with your shock set up.

Running in full droop can be awesome at times, but when you need your rig to stay upright when both axles are parallel but on an angle, most of the time you get that hurry up before you roll finger( Imo you could set up to have 90* articulation and never use more than 50-60* before you roll on the rocks)). I might suggest fabbing or buying a droop mounting kit for your shocks, that way your ride height is nice and low, but you can still get a lot of articulation while having something like med springs in the back and softies up front or mediums all around.

Let me know if I am crazy but it just sounds like you have no support when the body wants to roll over.
Hope to get pics of my 1.9 up soon!
Thanks Again!!!
Dad,Canyoufix? is offline   Reply With Quote