Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Just built my wraith kit...now please help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2014, 06:07 AM   #1

Default Just built my wraith kit...now please help!

Hey all,

So my wraith is built, now it's awaiting all the electronics.....I do want the best of both worlds, I want to know, it it posible to have a setup that I can run an brushless motor when I want some good speed for the walking trails/garden/park. But I also would like to be able to swap out to a brushed crawler motor for the mud/rocks/goop. Whenever I want to have some good crawler fun. Do people do this? How? What type ESC can handle both type motors? I hope to run a 3s lipo give me some ideas!

Thanks!
rampking is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2014, 07:35 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Just built my wraith kit...now please help!

Instead of swapping them out, just run a Tekin ROC412 and a Castle MMP ESC. They are both super easy to waterproof. If you really want to go to the hassle of swapping motors then the MMP will do both.
Jeff@TireBalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TireBalls View Post
Instead of swapping them out, just run a Tekin ROC412 and a Castle MMP ESC. They are both super easy to waterproof. If you really want to go to the hassle of swapping motors then the MMP will do both.
I agree with the roc/mmp combo. I put it in and couldn't be happier with the all around performance. Crawls great but still has good speed. I haven't waterproofed yet but I run in the desert with little or no water. It's not cheap but worth it in the long run.
Endoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:49 AM   #4

Get a 2 speed tranny, great crawling speed and good go fast speed with a tekin pro 4 or similar motor
*FeelMyWraith* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:14 AM   #5

I have had a MMP and Novak 17.5T sensored brushless motor in my Wraith kit since the I built it. I agree with Jeff@TireBalls, go with a sensored BL motor, great speed and crawling ability. I mainly do trail runs and crawling and it performs great. There is obviously other similiar sensored motors from Tekin and other brands you could pair with the MMP. Also, I always run 3S lipo and sometimes 4S when I really want to go fast. (Note: running 4S most likely will require upgrading driveshafts. lol I did after twisting/snapping the rear shaft on 4S...but no problems after installing MIPs.)
gforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:21 AM   #6

O.K. thanks all for the replies, So I just ordered the Tekin Pro4 3300KV motor and the Mamba Max ESC......now I need a decent Servo, Radio Controller, and I guess a BEC?

Give me some suggestions!! I am gonna run a 3s Lipo...Giv ER!

Also what should be upgraded in regards to drive train with these upgrades, or can I just upgrade as it breaks or would that be more expensive?

Thanks all!
rampking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:39 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Yes a bec, always. You'll need trans gears, driveshafts and hd ring/pinion as well. Eventually you'll get those, even if you don't right now.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:44 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Just buy Castle Link right away. SO much easier to program the esc than with your radio. Caste 10A programmable BEC is great, also programmable with Castle link.

For servo I'd get a Hitec 7954, or 7950 if you want a little more juice. I run the little brother and it works great for me.

Radio, you'd want a 3 or 4 ch with a three position switch. Since I allready have Spektrum systems I decided to go with a DX3C, but the newer DX4S seems good. Won't go wrong with Futaba either, see that many prefers them over Spektrum.
Odd-M is offline   Reply With Quote

Just built my wraith kit...now please help! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Built a Wraith kit...here it is! 1BAMFR Axial Wraith 11 03-18-2014 08:59 AM