Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: so many gears, confused about what's what. Kit on the way

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2014, 06:22 PM   #1
IPT
Quarry Creeper

Default so many gears, confused about what's what. Kit on the way

So I've been reading and reading but am pretty new to RC. I understand the plastic gears strip and one would be better using metal and 32P. What confuses me are there are so many different gears. I'm a little fuzzy as to what to get because of the terminology. Maybe you guys can help educate me.

Okay, internal gears for transmission - fairly standard tooth size but use metal vs plastic? I see they come in sets of 3.

Those gears drive the output of the transmission? On the input side would be the Spur gear? The Pinion gear from the motor meshes to that? This is the ratio people talk about most often? In the beginners guide looks like stock is 80T/20T. With a powerful motor metal 32P is a good idea. This is where the slipper clutch is? Why such a radical change to 56/14 or something. I rarely if ever see 80T in the ratios people post.

Then there are the gears in the axels, a ring and pinion. You can alter these gears ratios too. Apparently the stock Wraith gears here are decent. You can alter to over drive the front for increase front wheel pulling power.

Is that about right? Am I misunderstanding any of that?

I plan to run a Hobbywing 3656 so will have some power. I already ordered the 3 gear set for the transmission but am confused on what actual gears I need to the 32P part (is that the spur and pinion?).

Last edited by IPT; 04-27-2014 at 06:29 PM.
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2014, 06:58 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: so many gears, confused about what's what. Kit on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPT View Post
So I've been reading and reading but am pretty new to RC. I understand the plastic gears strip and one would be better using metal and 32P. What confuses me are there are so many different gears. I'm a little fuzzy as to what to get because of the terminology. Maybe you guys can help educate me.
Okay, internal gears for transmission - fairly standard tooth size but use metal vs plastic? I see they come in sets of 3.
Basically correct, though Robinson sell the bottom & middle gears separately if you want to go that way, HotRacing have a set or gears individually, Axial in are sets of metal gears

Those gears drive the output of the transmission? On the input side would be the Spur gear? The Pinion gear from the motor meshes to that? This is the ratio people talk about most often? In the beginners guide looks like stock is 80T/20T. With a powerful motor metal 32P is a good idea. This is where the slipper clutch is? Why such a radical change to 56/14 or something. I rarely if ever see 80T in the ratios people post.
Correct again. The difference between 80 & 56 is the tooth pitch 32p v 48p, so the 80T is 48p & is very similar physical diameter as the 56T in 32p. 32p has a bigger tooth profile & is said to be stronger. The stock Axial pinion & spur are 48p. Obviously you can't mix 32 & 48p.

Then there are the gears in the axels, a ring and pinion. You can alter these gears ratios too. Apparently the stock Wraith gears here are decent. You can alter to over drive the front for increase front wheel pulling power.
Again correct, you can also under drive the rear to get the same effect or over & under front & rear to get the most aggressive change, best to stay away from high speed runs & paved surfaces with that though, it'll eat the drive train pretty quick.

Is that about right? Am I misunderstanding any of that?

I plan to run a Hobbywing 3656 so will have some power. I already ordered the 3 gear set for the transmission but am confused on what actual gears I need to the 32P part (is that the spur and pinion?).
The Traxxas & Duratrax 32P spurs will work, I've got this one on a 2.2 comp rig purely for light weight

https://www.rpphobby.com/ProductDeta...tCode=DTXC9397
or the Robinson Slash slipper will work

https://www.rpphobby.com/ProductDeta...ctCode=RRP7856, with which ever 32p pinion gives you the ratio you want, 56/14 works pretty good with the Tekin 13.5t brushless I've got, but it doesn't hurt to have a couple of pinions either side, just keep an eye on the motor & esc temps at the beginning.

Last edited by altd896; 04-27-2014 at 07:04 PM.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:41 AM   #3
IPT
Quarry Creeper

altd896 - Thank you - perfect, I appreciate you taking the time to help me out .
Old 04-28-2014, 03:38 AM   #4
IPT
Quarry Creeper

Oh, do I need to get anything else like an output shaft or different springs to use the RR Slipper? I saw something about needing a super shafty output shaft and something else about needing spring and bolt from a Traxxas Slipper rebuild kit but that post never went into details so left me a liuttle unsure.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:35 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Ideally yeah get the SS top shaft but the Robinson slash 32p slipper will work with the stock top shaft, you'll need an extra bearing behind the slipper as a spacer, check the video on the SS page for the top shaft.
That's if you go slash 32p slipper, there's a Robinson 48p wraith slipper as well, so be careful when you order.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:21 PM   #6
IPT
Quarry Creeper

Thanks, nabbed the SS top shaft set up. Also looked at the thread by Harley on the install (Harley's Axial Wraith Build - Jimmy's 4x4 Ultra 4 KOH Style). Do you guys back off a 1/4 turn on the slipper, 1/2 turn or keep it full on tightened down?
Old 04-28-2014, 02:41 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I keep mine tightened all the way down...just personal preference..
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote

so many gears, confused about what's what. Kit on the way - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
gears for open diffs missing in ax10 kit? izeman Axial AX-10 Scorpion 6 01-20-2010 02:28 PM
PTI 12" stretch kit? Better Gears franeich General Crawlers 14 11-28-2007 10:06 AM