Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Is the Poison Spyder worth it, unless you really like that body?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2014, 10:05 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Is the Poison Spyder worth it, unless you really like that body?

I went for a friend this weekend to pick up a Wraith for him from Craigslist. I brought it home and started playing with it up in the woods and I really sort of like it. So I hate him and I want to get one now. I know there is not much difference between the two, other than the Poison Spyder does not come with lights and it has beadlock wheels. I also noticed that it has different tires, but I wasn't sure if they were actually any better or worse than the ripsaws. The tread pattern on them looks nowhere near as aggressive as the Ripsaws, but I could be wrong. My hobby shop can't get any in until mid-May anyway. I would do the kit, but I already know how it is put together and i want to be able to just drop in my upgrades and go, this time. I already built my scx10 from the ground up.

I already have a list of pieces I am going to replace from the get-go. A Tekin FXR and a 35T motor, Aluminum Servo horn, Probably a chassis mounted servo and suicde steering setup, gonna try a Solar D772 servo, Castle bec, I will be moving the battery to the front and probably electronics to the back. I don't care so much about the lights. I will mount them, but I already have the buckets and I will be running 9v LED's off of a separate 9V battery which will probably also be located at the front as well to keep some weight there.
Hatersauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2014, 10:13 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Is the Poison Spyder worth it, unless you really like that body?

I personally like the kit better. the ripsaw tires are actually very good crawling tires. Not to mention that the headlocks that come with the P.S wraith suck if you like to do some bashing. They just wouldn't hold the bead. Another with the kit is the body panels vs the P.S. body. Its easier to do a hood hinge mod and in my opinion looks better. And if I'm not mistaken when you do the kit is has a few upgrades in it such as the axial universal axles. But like said above its all opinion. They both perform great! its all about who's behind the radio
JDIRCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:27 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Well I am just getting into the going slow side of RC and I love my scx 10. But the Wraith seems like a lot of fun, and can take better angles than my JK can. Maybe I will just do the kit. According to Axial's website it comes with the Ripsaws in the R35 Compound, too, which is better than the RTR Wraith's. I guess I should probably just go that way anyway.

Edit: Two Questions,
1) Does the kit come with unpainted body panels?
2) Does the kit come with the Aluminum steering drag link?

Last edited by Hatersauce; 05-04-2014 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:33 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Yeah I would too. The kit is awesome to me because i like doing it all myself so that i know i can trust it. if i break something or it false apart ill know it was my fault and how to fix lol. I personally haven't used an scx 10 but i hear that it makes rc crawling way harder and more scale. But all my buddies that run scx10's like to run their wraiths to bash on because it def will take a beating. My next one will be an scx10 kit to try the other more slower side of this hobby lol.
JDIRCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:36 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Oh yeah, I do love my SCX10 and it has definitely been a money sink for me, but in a good way. I built it bought what I wanted and I made it mine. I guess I will just go with the kit for the wraith. Means I need to clear off my desk again so I have somewhere to build it.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:31 PM   #6

When crawling the fenders come in contact with the tires, so I cut off the fenders. Now the sides of the grill contacts the tires, I don't want to do any more cutting on the body. I am going to buy the Wraith body.
islrcr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatersauce View Post
[...]

1) yes
2) no, but additional rod ends are included, so feel free to utilize a 1/8" brass tube

regards
JoMei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:25 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatersauce View Post
Well I am just getting into the going slow side of RC and I love my scx 10. But the Wraith seems like a lot of fun, and can take better angles than my JK can. Maybe I will just do the kit. According to Axial's website it comes with the Ripsaws in the R35 Compound, too, which is better than the RTR Wraith's. I guess I should probably just go that way anyway.

The body comes unpainted as for the drag link I can ask tomorrow and post if anyone else hasn't. I personally don't like the PS version better to just get the rtr version if you know how to drive the stock parts last quite awhile.
CapnSwagga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:33 AM   #9
RCC Addict

If you're already planning to upgrade the esc and motor, if stick with the kit. RTR links pretty much suck and the motor didn't last very long either. I'd stick with a traditional drag link and tie rod steering set up, too. I have the suicide switch kit and just don't like it. It works but traditional set up works better.
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:55 AM   #10

PS wraith I own has went through a crap ton of crawling and trail running, along with a G6 event and never had a issue with the beadlocks. Some people have though. The BFG tires on it are Okay for trails and bashing but the rtr ripsaws are waaay better. I mount Pitbulls for crawling and stockers for bashing. Six screws to remove the body for a battery swap is kinda a pain I just got used to. I knew I was going to installation the RPP light bar so I didn't care about the rtr lights.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk
mccollom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:57 AM   #11

I took the body and stripped off the 1:1 decals and replaced them with rc manufacturer decals. Plasti dipped the each and threw in a HH motor and a 3 cell.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk
mccollom405 is offline   Reply With Quote

Is the Poison Spyder worth it, unless you really like that body? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jeep JK poison spyder -Arctic spyder ver.- extremerc1 1.9 Scale Rigs 24 04-02-2014 07:11 AM
proline jeep body/poison spyder fender flares scaleguy1.9 Paint and Body 2 07-16-2013 11:32 PM