Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: For all my fellow 1.9ers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2014, 07:06 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default For all my fellow 1.9ers...

Who runs a CMS and who runs Servo on Axle? and pics of your set up? I have currently been running a CMS set up and am having nothing but problems, I have torn my truck down to switch back to Servo on Axle.
BoardN88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2014, 07:19 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: For all my fellow 1.9ers...

I'm running mine on the axle. Didn't like the way the cms lined up.
haynesn12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:56 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I like steering. Refuse to even consider a chassis mounted servo.
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:07 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I have an axle mounted servo on mine . It was easy to setup and had no problems . Works great for me so I have never tried a CMS setup .

Badd's Fusion 1.9 Wraith with SCX10 axles
Badd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:41 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I've got a cms on mine, it takes a while to sort it out but I wouldn't have an axle mounted servo as I don't like the look. What cms where you using and what problems did you have with it.
greenjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:51 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I used the STRC mountwith a JC auto design axle truss. Running a 3 link/panhard setup with no issues or complaints.
silvr_tung_devl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:13 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Im running a servo on axle as well but wouldnt mind figuring out a cms in the future.

- Richard
creepinchevy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:16 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

I use a VP CMS mount with the chassis side VP panhard mount. I use a Hand Bros axle bracket for the axle side panhard mount and the 3-link mount. Works great. The panhard bar fits down nice and tight on the axle. As with any CMS, you get some limitations with the steering throw depending on how the suspension is flexed. I run the shock bump-stops on the front shocks to limit the flex thus limiting most, if not all, binding issues.
Attached Images

btoungette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:10 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I had VP cms and panhard and was using a level 3 axle mount since rc4wd was sold out of their scx10 axle mount, Maybe just using this JUNK level 3 crap for the axle mount it through off my geometry?
Old 05-21-2014, 11:15 AM   #10
RCC Addict

The only way I see them work is when they limit something like castor, shocks, or steering.

Does anybody make a kit with a 6" or longer pan hard bar?
Old 05-21-2014, 11:22 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjiz View Post
The only way I see them work is when they limit something like castor, shocks, or steering.

Does anybody make a kit with a 6" or longer pan hard bar?

Is your drag link 6"? Your pan hard and draglink should be the same length. Are you running scx axles?
skerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:44 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Scx axles and zero Ackerman knuckles.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:52 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

CMS, though I prefer axle mounted for strength and simplicity. Just ran out of room, so had to go CMS.

Mine took some trial and error, but now works pretty good. Needs a longer servo horn and it'll be dialed in - can't quite get to full lock to the right though its so close i'm in no hurry to fix it. Modded Level 3 mount on the chassis, and just spacers on the axle itself - link bolts on the top of the 4-link mount. Nothing special required on the axle, and zero bump steer that I can detect.

The steering link looks a little off, but it's just due to the angled rod end. Needed it to prevent some binding, the overall geometry is nice and square.

Different angle with an older set-up

Oh, and all the links were in my parts box, the mount cost $17 shipped. Easy Peasy.

Last edited by OSRC; 05-21-2014 at 12:03 PM.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:53 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Axle mounted....I don't have the wraith upper supports so I can't use any cms kits

Sent from a rock
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:24 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

OK, I just tried this exact set up on my 1.9 except with a VP CMS, My panhard bar still hits top axles housing before its fully compressed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
CMS, though I prefer axle mounted for strength and simplicity. Just ran out of room, so had to go CMS.

Mine took some trial and error, but now works pretty good. Needs a longer servo horn and it'll be dialed in - can't quite get to full lock to the right though its so close i'm in no hurry to fix it. Modded Level 3 mount on the chassis, and just spacers on the axle itself - link bolts on the top of the 4-link mount. Nothing special required on the axle, and zero bump steer that I can detect.

The steering link looks a little off, but it's just due to the angled rod end. Needed it to prevent some binding, the overall geometry is nice and square.

Different angle with an older set-up

Oh, and all the links were in my parts box, the mount cost $17 shipped. Easy Peasy.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:43 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Axle mounted. Running t-rex 60s and 4 link F&R. Running LCC white spring shocks and I have no clearance issues, servo only touches chassis when I try to bottom out both front shocks evenly, and I do have to try as I have never accomplished it on a trail or in a creek. Just got done beating up my new tsl XL's and love my cog and stability, I build my trucks to play with on trails and in creeks. Not sure how many points a cms gets you in a comp but if you have a 1.9 wraith in one I'm not sure it's gonna save you.

To each his own! ( they do look nice, not sure I would sacrifice function for it though)
Dad,Canyoufix? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:25 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I've monkeyed with CMS/panhard setups quite a bit and one of the main things to consider when buying/making a CMS/panhard setup is to make sure that the servo link and panhard bar can follow a curve originating from the same central point, or as close as possible to it--otherwise you end up with a lot of bump steer. The second thing to consider is that the servo link and the servo arm need to be as close to perpendicular to each other in order to get almost the same amount of throw--meaning most setups need to have the servo arm pointed to the driver's side front wheel and have the linkage adjusted as necessary to maintain everything mentioned above. Last but not least, the closer to parallel the panhard bar is at your vehicles mid-travel point, the less you'll have to deal with the axle moving laterally--ideally, the axle should be at mid chassis centerline halfway through the suspension stroke--this is why I like the JCAD SCX10 axle truss/panhard mount/chassis mount, since it brings the panhard bar closer to parallel at most vehicle's natural ride-height.
K.O.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:28 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoardN88 View Post
OK, I just tried this exact set up on my 1.9 except with a VP CMS, My panhard bar still hits top axles housing before its fully compressed?

Put a bend in your pan hard.
skerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:20 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoardN88 View Post
Takes some tinkering. Every set-up is different depending on parts used, suspension set-up, etc.

Exactly as above, try a bend in your panhard, or use a bit of a spacer on the Axle to lift it up. Just remember the 2 golden rules for the panhard and the steering link:

-link length should be the same
-links should be at the same angle (mounting point-wise)
(or as close as possible)

This was my first stab at it, can see the kinked panhard :
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote

For all my fellow 1.9ers... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello fellow ND crawlers Ballistic17 North Dakota 15 03-03-2013 12:07 PM
To all fellow RCCers... braceysdad Chit Chat 19 10-13-2012 12:06 AM
Need fellow crawlers.... ax10 guy Axial AX-10 Scorpion 1 06-10-2009 01:52 PM
What 1.9ers are these? braceysdad Chit Chat 19 12-28-2007 06:35 PM