Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wraith shafts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2014, 11:09 AM   #1

Default Wraith shafts

Hi!
Does anyone knows who makes beefy REAR shafts for the Wraith??
Thanks!
Sunburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2014, 11:35 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Wraith shafts

CREEPERBOB makes titanium ones. Pm him.
lostonthetrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:40 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostonthetrails View Post
From what I understand, Ti is lighter, but not necessarily stronger.

I have bent a few rear shafts as well, I would probably be interested if a stronger option were available.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:20 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

No ti is WAYYY stronger than steel. It is a lot lighter too. It has the highest strength to weight ratio of any metal.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Nice!

I guess I can't get them on a web shop...
Would you recommend me to contact him in private message or different way?
thx
Sunburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:56 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
No ti is WAYYY stronger than steel. It is a lot lighter too. It has the highest strength to weight ratio of any metal.
I admit I'm not an expert but I believe most commercially available grades of titanium are in the same strength ballpark as steel. Some titanium alloys can be very much stronger than steel but those are pretty rare and it's pretty unlikely any RC parts would be made of them. The strength of titanium parts usually comes from the fact that it is so light weight. Parts can be made much beefier (thicker tube walls, etc.) while still maintaining a significant weight savings over a steel part. a solid hardened steel rod would be just as strong if not stronger than a solid titanium rod of the same dimensions but it would weigh a whole heck of a lot more! Go to a bike shop and look at bikes with titanium frames. They typically have much bigger tubes than a steel frame bike because you can use more metal making a stronger frame while still reducing weight.
crockins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:15 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

^^^i agree with this. People for some reason get the idea that titanium is lighter then aluminum and stronger then steel. Not true. It is about the same weight as aluminum and the strength depends hugely on the kind of steel vs the kind of titanium. I work with titanium and stainless every day. Titanium is an amazing material but it is not always the best thing for the job. I have seen threads on guys wanting titanium tranny and diff gears. Unless you are looking to build a super light comp rig its just not a good idea. Hardened steel will hold up much better in that situation. As far as the shafts go, I would think the titanium might be as strong as hardened steel. Certainly stronger then stock shafts as they don't seem to be hardened much.
Jcplante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:39 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

With regards to rear shafts, I find they bend easily, I never break them they just get bent, Ti is much harder to bend than steel and retains it shape longer in my experience using Ti products for many years in DH MTB and Motocross applications. BUT it will snap/break in some situations where steel/Alu would just bend and could be bent back to get you out where Ti would leave you stuck. I look closely at the application before I choose, don't see many issues with Ti in the RC world (except the gear thing is correct always go with hardened steel or cromo.
Heckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:45 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Tinsel strength is what thats called. Aluminium is resilient and titanium doesn't possess that property. Titanium, as I stated before has the highest tinsel strength to weight ratio of any metal. CREEPERBOB uses very high quality titanium and you will never break or bend his shafts.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:24 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axles...le-shafts.html
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial...-shafts-2.html
Here now that I got the chance to get to the computer again, I have the links.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:36 PM   #11
RCC Addict

haha tinsel strength

for the sake of accuracy I think you may actually referring to TENSILE strength, which is a materials resistance to stretching.

Ultimate tensile strength - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And I would think it is actually the materials toughness that is more in question here, as it is unlikely you can stretch a Wraith axle to the point of failure.

Toughness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Locked-Up do a big fat SCX10 rear axle shaft, maybe with some gentle email/messaging persuasion they could be coaxed into doing Wraith/Yeti shafts too. I'm sure I also saw mention a while back of VP researching the development of CM 4130 shafts.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:01 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by altd896 View Post
haha tinsel strength

for the sake of accuracy I think you may actually referring to TENSILE strength, which is a materials resistance to stretching.

Ultimate tensile strength - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And I would think it is actually the materials toughness that is more in question here, as it is unlikely you can stretch a Wraith axle to the point of failure.

Toughness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Locked-Up do a big fat SCX10 rear axle shaft, maybe with some gentle email/messaging persuasion they could be coaxed into doing Wraith/Yeti shafts too. I'm sure I also saw mention a while back of VP researching the development of CM 4130 shafts.
You live and you learn. I had someone explain it to me in real life so that's why I spelled it wrong and I guess I misunderstood. But hey now I and whoever else didn't know what tensile strength was knows. At least I, unlike some people on here (this is not directed to you or anyone else on this thread) accept that I was wrong and we can move on. Thanks for correcting me and moving on.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:20 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I didn't even figure it was your mistake, I just assumed it was another classic autocorrect failure that happened to be funny at the same time.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:57 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by altd896 View Post
I didn't even figure it was your mistake, I just assumed it was another classic autocorrect failure that happened to be funny at the same time.
It's all cool.

Wraith shafts - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraith drive shafts CHROMECRAWLER Axial Wraith 37 12-22-2019 06:54 AM
wraith input shafts Gen3_Teg_88 General Crawlers 2 08-16-2011 11:05 AM