Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Nobody with a double disconnect tranny ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2014, 05:23 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Nobody with a double disconnect tranny ?

I like the Axial disconnect unit. According to me it is correctly designed from a mechanical point of view. It is very useful for crawling. In my limited experience I sometimes felt the need for a front disconnect (having front wheels blocked and rear connected to the motor). That way you can turn front wheels, have the rear wheels spin moving laterally toward the external of the turn.
It's not easy for me to figure out how to apply a front disconnect to the Wraith transmission, I searched this sub forum for inspiration but found nothing.
I remember some old school mods to the Ax-10 tranny to have the double disconnect but it seems it is not used on Wraith.
May be it is due to the fact that double disconnect is crawler specific matter.
What I would like best is a way to put the Axial disconnect unit in front too, but I think it is not possible

Thanks for any suggestions or comments
Filippo
setecastronomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2014, 12:11 PM   #2
20K Club

Default Re: Nobody with a double disconnect tranny ?

The only double disconnect system (with lock) I ever saw was made by RC4WD and was based on the R2 transmission. It was one of the earliest dig systems and isn't nearly as good as the systems we have now.

The Losi Comp Crawler had a double disconnect system but didn't have a lock function because the worm drive axles always lock when power is not fed to the pinion.

In short, there is not a system you can buy and install to accomplish your desired goal.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:15 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Sounds like you want the control of a Motor on Axle rig and a good radio.
Dostradamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:19 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
The only double disconnect system (with lock) I ever saw was made by RC4WD and was based on the R2 transmission. It was one of the earliest dig systems and isn't nearly as good as the systems we have now.

The Losi Comp Crawler had a double disconnect system but didn't have a lock function because the worm drive axles always lock when power is not fed to the pinion.

In short, there is not a system you can buy and install to accomplish your desired goal.
I own a R2 with double disconnect. It is installed on my abandoned TLT based crawler. I couldn't even understand what disconnect was useful for with it ! It engages every 180 degrees and its design is not mechanically correct.
As stated in my first post I like the design of axial disconnect unit and I'm a bit surprised nobody replicated it in the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dostradamas View Post
Sounds like you want the control of a Motor on Axle rig and a good radio.
I love my Xr10 with electronic front and rear dig
setecastronomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:48 AM   #5
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by setecastronomy View Post
I own a R2 with double disconnect. It is installed on my abandoned TLT based crawler. I couldn't even understand what disconnect was useful for with it ! It engages every 180 degrees and its design is not mechanically correct.
As stated in my first post I like the design of axial disconnect unit and I'm a bit surprised nobody replicated it in the front.

I love my Xr10 with electronic front and rear dig
I know what you mean about wanting the rear dig ability, however even in the comp crawling world it was probably only used 5% as much as the typical front dig. That reason alone is probably why nobody decided to put the money into development.

I have seen very few threads on people wanting a rear dig over the years, and again, that is a pretty good indication of market demand.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote

Nobody with a double disconnect tranny ? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
can a R2 disconnect tranny? TomEGunn General Crawlers 21 01-20-2010 08:48 PM
R2 Tranny with Disconnect sandblaster87 Newbie General 3 05-26-2008 10:49 AM
R2 Tranny with Disconnect STOMPER 1 General Scale Talk 4 06-30-2007 10:35 PM