Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: New to me wraith, maiden voyage fire.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2014, 06:22 AM   #1
I joined the Band!

Default New to me wraith, maiden voyage fire.

First post here. I used to be all into rc, had nitro savages but I got out of it right about the time the flux came out. Finally picked up another, used off Craigslist. The seller hooked up a battery and drove it around for a second and it seemed fine.

I brought it home had to order batteries, got 3s 5500mah 35c and an eBay IMAX b6. I balance charged at 1.0a. Verified all cells read 4.20 through charger and with a voltmeter on the balance plug.

Plugged in the first newly charged battery the fan on the esc (dynamite tazer brushless) sounded like it was going crazy fast drove around for about a minute, power was insane. It seemed like it was having trouble going from forward to reverse put it up against a ledge and gave it throttle and smoke then flames start coming out.

What did I do? Previous owner said he'd run it on 3s many times without issue. I ordered a mamba max pro for it but I don't want to fry it too. Motor is hpi scream. I want to try a few other combos but that's going to have to wait.

Wraith in question pre fire ( looks the same post fire, luckily it just melted a little bit of interior)

Thanks for any info.

Last edited by robbiem; 12-12-2014 at 06:24 AM.
robbiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2014, 08:45 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: New to me wraith, maiden voyage fire.

I had an ONYX (looks to be the same china crap) ESC burst in to flames sitting still. It wasn't rated for 3s, but it handled it for months. Then one day it didn't. The capacitors on the front looked to be the source, just like yours.

Picked up a Castle product and never looked back.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:33 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Mamba Max Pro and then you can go brushless if you want to
DrDiff952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 12:48 PM   #4
I joined the Band!

The motor I have is already brushless but I like that the mmp will do brushed or brushless. It should be here tomorrow hopefully. I've had the thing for over a week and haven't driven it for 2 minutes.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:36 PM   #5
I joined the Band!

I got the mmp installed today and it did the trick. Runs great. I had changed out the drive shafts for integy aluminum ones and quickly broke them both and twisted the stock ones. Going to have to figure something else out. Also changed out steering, chubs, knuckles, axle shafts, trans gears, geared 14/87. Its still way to fast, I want to underdrive the axles and put in a crawlmaster. I have pitbulls and mudslinger xls but stipped the hubs in the other wheels. Going to get a couple more sets of wheels, those tires have tons of grip and are bigger than these bfgs.

I changed out the shocks for integy type 2s and they are great. I flipped the rear mount and use the rear hole on front. Its sits nice and low and has much more travel than stock.

Last edited by robbiem; 12-13-2014 at 07:39 PM.

New to me wraith, maiden voyage fire. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my D110 maiden voyage eunique Scale Videos! 0 01-13-2014 08:26 AM
Solomon7's XJ maiden voyage Pointman Videos! 0 03-22-2011 09:43 PM
maiden voyage og the Unimog Unipig... pig bandit Scale Videos! 3 04-16-2010 07:30 PM
the python's maiden voyage.... rockwerks Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 7 08-23-2006 10:52 PM
Maiden voyage for the Mounty.... Mad Hatter 2.2 Scale Rigs 11 03-31-2006 07:29 AM