Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Dinky Link S-type or Dlux U4 truss for servo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2014, 02:08 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Dinky Link S-type or Dlux U4 truss for servo

I'm running a droop setup on my Wraith. I'm running BGR front and rear shock towers. I'm looking for a lower ride height on it. I have Pro-Line Powerstroke Slash rear shocks in all 4 corners. I did put the stock Wraith shock springs on my Powerstroke shocks.
My original intentions were to run a VP CMS and panhard setup. I love the look of the CMS and panhard on my Wraith, but I don't have squat for suspension travel in the front before the panhard link hits my axle truss and the bottom of my servo. I would really like to keep the CMS and panhard setup, but from a performance over looks standpoint, I think the servo will have to go back on the axle. I can't figure out any way to keep the panhard link from hitting my truss and the bottom of my servo, and still have a fair amount of suspension travel.

My Wraith is going be mainly used for trail running, rather than actual crawling.

I've been looking at different options for mounting the servo back on the front axle, besides going back to the stock location.
I've been looking at the Dlux U4 trusses for the front and rear. I love to looks of the Dlux U4 trusses (carbon fiber), but not sure how well they work with servo mounted off center and behind the axle.
The other option I've been looking at is the Dinky Link S-type mount. The Dinky S-type mount looks a little plain compared to the Dlux U4 trusses, but it seems to be strong, and a simple design that works well.

I guess I'm looking for some input on both the Dlux U4 trusses, and the Dinky Link S-type mount. Which is the better setup?
Would I be better off to put my servo back on the stock location on the axle?

If anyone has a mod or any ideas on how I can keep my VP CMS and panhard, but able to get more than a 3/4" suspension travel, I would like to keep my CMS and panhard.

Thanks in advance for your help and input!

Sent from my modded TI-83 plus.
2-shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2014, 02:42 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Dinky Link S-type or Dlux U4 truss for servo

With the dlux u4 truss the servo sticks out below the axle which is a big negative to me but besides that I like them. I would do u4 rear dinky front. Jmo.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 02:44 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
With the dlux u4 truss the servo sticks out below the axle which is a big negative to me but besides that I like them. I would do u4 rear dinky front. Jmo.

That is a good idea!! I think the Dlux U4 trusses look really sweet, especially the rear truss!!!

Old 12-26-2014, 02:45 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Yeah if low profile servos had more torque low profile servo would be perfect for the u4 front truss.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 02:47 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I'm running a Hitec 7954 servo, so it's gonna hang out below the axle.

Old 12-26-2014, 06:58 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Yea my 7950 servo hangs below the axle tube but does not come down under the pumpkin.....ive really not had any problems with mine...ive seen somone on the fourm use spacers to lift the servo up some
gsrcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:48 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

i used some small spacers to raise my servo on the dlux truss. been running it for months with zero problems. looks great, very very durable. i folded a thin piece of aluminum around the bottom of my servo attached with clear double sided tape to protect it from scratches.
m0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 04:39 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I ordered the Dlux rear U4 truss and the Dinky Link S-type for the front. Now that I've read the responses regarding the Dlux U4 front truss, I'm wanting one of those now, so I can keep the front and rear looking the same.

Ok, so I want ask a question about the Dlux U4 trusses.
What is the advantage of raising or lowering the link mount location on the U4 truss itself? I've tried searching, but haven't found anything.

Thanks!!!

Old 12-28-2014, 04:25 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I don't know which is better but I have almost the exact same setup as you. I use the U4 mount front and rear on mine with a 7980 and I love it. I built a small skid to protect the bottom of it.
GTCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:30 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I can't hardly belive someone would build a bracket that puts the servo body below the axle. Thats, flat fufly in my book. Maybe you guys, have mounted the servo wrong.

Here's my version of the dinky s type mount.

evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 03:50 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

If you're running the factory unaltered frame you're going to contact the frame with either option. I ordered and installed both and wasn't happy with the limited travel on the passenger side. Both are a great option if you've eliminated the lower front bumper support or are running a custom cage. If you're already running a lower stance, droop, these mounts will limit your travel that much more. They weren't the answer for me.
Slowpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 04:03 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpony View Post
If you're running the factory unaltered frame you're going to contact the frame with either option. I ordered and installed both and wasn't happy with the limited travel on the passenger side. Both are a great option if you've eliminated the lower front bumper support or are running a custom cage. If you're already running a lower stance, droop, these mounts will limit your travel that much more. They weren't the answer for me.

What did you end up going with? Did you use the stock location on the axle?

Old 12-30-2014, 06:02 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Yeah for now I'm sticking with the stock set up.
Slowpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 06:07 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Straight vertical travel can be reduced. Articulation isn't hinderd.

Steering power is increased as well as travel. Can run a shorter servo arm for more steering power.

There are plusses and minuses to everything. I would build a rig around a good steering setup instead of making a steering setup fit on the rig .

Heck with the stock wraith axle mounted servo location I was have frame contact with a rig set up with low ride height.

Last edited by evan03; 01-01-2015 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:23 PM   #15
RCC Addict

I made a plate to move the servo back as far as possible. I had to grind the back of the arm to miss the housing. I have had zero issues since going this route and switching to a full metal cased servo. I had to make a lot of room under the hood, the front bumper arm screw area had to be completely removed.

maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:12 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Maslin

That looks awesome love it and love the attention to detail in the drag link. You can't buy stuff like that.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:00 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

I was thinking of getting DCW (duuuuuuude`s crawler werkers) servo De-wanger mount

Servo De-wangers for the Wraith
jcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 01:02 PM   #18
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-shot View Post
I've been looking at the Dlux U4 trusses for the front and rear. I love to looks of the Dlux U4 trusses (carbon fiber), but not sure how well they work with servo mounted off center and behind the axle.
Being centered or off center wont matter much unless youre having issues with the servo being too far over and not being able to get correct steering link geometry, which my truss does not cause.

I highly prefer the servo laid down like my truss does vs the style that comes stock. If you look at a stock servo, the arm does not really go left to right like the knuckles do, it more goes up and down. With a setup such as stock, when the arm goes up/down, instead of left/right, you lose power and a consistent steering reaction. Steering reaction is not a huge deal, I bet most dont notice it but having the servo mounted in this same up/down fashion does hurt the steering power greatly. This is one of the reasons that the XR10 has weaker, inconsistent steering and most will run a 7980 vs a Berg that has plenty of power with a 7950. Long story short, this is why I turned the servo flat and put it so the steering arm moves left to right.

Ideally, you would want a servo arm that follows the same arc as the steering arms. I put some pictures below of the most ideal steering geometry I can find. If you look at all 3 pics, the steering arm is close to the same arc as the knuckle. It is possible you could run the Dlux U4 truss with this same geometry, I havent seen anybody but a sportsman crawler do it yet though. After moving to this setup, my servos run cooler, consistency feels much better and the power is also much better.

Quote:
I'm running a Hitec 7954 servo, so it's gonna hang out below the axle.
It does not have to hang below unless you want it to. The truss was designed to accommodate as many as possible. Run it below the axle center line if you dont have issues hitting the servo on rocks and center of gravity is more important or, raise it up with some spacers to get it up above the centerline. Adding some spacers couldn't be much easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan03 View Post
I can't hardly belive someone would build a bracket that puts the servo body below the axle. Thats, flat fufly in my book.
See above. Its hard to imagine, but not one setup is ideal for everybody so it is designed to work for as many as possible. From as low as possible to up as high as you can fit, this truss should work for you.

Quote:
Ok, so I want ask a question about the Dlux U4 trusses.
What is the advantage of raising or lowering the link mount location on the U4 truss itself?
It will change your squat/anti squat. In Laymans terms, that means that it changes how much traction either the front or rear tires get. In testing, we have found that the Wraith could use a bit more squat/anti squat. Not only has it been found to be helpful for the performance of the car to raise them up some at the axle, its a tuning tool that you can use vs. having the same setup as stock and not being overly happy with it.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:50 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

EriK

Sorry to bust your balls and thank you for the awesome explanation and photos. I'm realy digging that steering setup enough that I think I'll play with it.

Thank you

Dinky Link S-type or Dlux U4 truss for servo - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is the better truss for AR60 axles? DLUX Ultra4 or Dinky Link S type Sp3cia1-K 2.2 Scale Rigs 8 04-11-2014 02:07 PM
**Giveaway** DLUX AR60 Truss/Servo/Link mount Erik D_lux Chit Chat 558 12-04-2013 08:07 AM
**Giveaway** DLUX AR60 Truss/Servo/Link mount Erik D_lux 2.2 Scale Rigs 400 12-04-2013 08:06 AM
**Giveaway** DLUX AR60 Truss/Servo/Link mount Erik D_lux Axial AX-10 Scorpion 520 12-04-2013 07:59 AM