Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: MMP help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2015, 12:20 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default MMP help

Hi all, I did some quick googling at lunch but couldn't figure out what I needed so I'm asking here since this is the place I usually find the most usefull information.

I'm setting up a new powertrain for my wrait on the bench. I'm adding the AX2 2 speed tranny, MMP ESC, and I've chosen a leopard sensored 2900 kV motor. After getting a shift servo fitted and working I started with the motor and at first it seemed to start to move slowly fine at low throttle then surge. So, after some reading I see some firmware upgrades to the MMP was supposed to fix that. I hooked up the castle link and updated the firmware thinking, ok, fixed!

Alas, now it seems to do nothing for the first ~10-15% of throttle then blamo, turns on quick. Has anyone dealt with this? I'm fairly new to the MMP/Castle link stuff but I think I could figure out how to follow instructions if anyone can point me in a sensible direction.

Any advice or thoughts ar greatly appreciated.
SynisteR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2015, 01:15 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: MMP help

Is it set to smart-sense or sensored only?
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:51 PM   #3
I joined the Band!

You may also need to recalibrate the transmitter to the ESC. Sometimes firmware updates on the ESC end up needing recalibrating.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:21 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric0424 View Post
You may also need to recalibrate the transmitter to the ESC. Sometimes firmware updates on the ESC end up needing recalibrating.
Thanks, I hadn't tried that unti you suggested it but it didn't work. Thank you though, any other thoughts?
Old 01-12-2015, 07:33 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

So I have a bit of an update. I decided that I'd try it without the sensor wire and it worked exactly the same. Plugged the sensor wire back in and now it just vibrates back and forth, doesn't actually turn :S. Man I am frustrated. :(
Old 01-12-2015, 07:50 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynisteR6 View Post
So I have a bit of an update. I decided that I'd try it without the sensor wire and it worked exactly the same. Plugged the sensor wire back in and now it just vibrates back and forth, doesn't actually turn :S. Man I am frustrated. :(
For the vibration, switch A & C wires. Sensor wire could've been not fully seated and been running in sensorless mode.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:22 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

You might try a different sensor wire also...they aren't 100% reliable either
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:07 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
For the vibration, switch A & C wires. Sensor wire could've been not fully seated and been running in sensorless mode.
hunh, this is my first sensored brushless, so now that it is sensored the A/B/C wires make a difference? With unsensored brushless I know that switching any 2 changes direction... is this different or more involved now with sensored?
Old 01-13-2015, 09:14 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

The sensor can sometimes fight the motor direction, if it's incorrect. One manufacturers ABC can be different than another, I've found.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:40 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

When running sensored it absolutely makes a difference which wires are which. You have to hook up a-a b-b and c-c.
TwistedMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:59 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
Well that was the ticket, thanks guys! I didn't realize adding "sensored" to brushless added the compexity of the wiring, so I learned something today!

I still have a slight issue with it not starting off slow enough though, seems to get to about 10% throttle before it kicks in and won't just go slow, although this is still on the bench so I have no idea how slow it might be in the rig ;)

Thank you so much for the help guys! I can't wait to get this 4 pole sensored bruhsless 2 speed combo in the otherwise stock wraith!
Old 01-14-2015, 09:06 AM   #12

Check your throttle curve when its hooked up to castle link. If the curve is set to low in the beginning you wont' get any throttle response until the trigger is pushed so far. Also check your transceiver and see what settings might be there for throttle exponential if it has it.
CzerOne is offline   Reply With Quote

MMP help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CC mmp vs mmp sct edition? mudd_slinger Electronics 5 06-05-2013 01:18 PM