Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Upgrade the Wraith or get a Yeti?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2015, 01:31 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Upgrade the Wraith or get a Yeti?

So my wraith is pretty well along the way of upgrades. Mainly cosmetic but I put some pro line shocks on. I want to keep it a crawler but also want it to be a rock racer with some speed to play around and do some light bashing.

Would I be happy with upgrading to a MMP and Roc412? I am assuming the 412 would be a better option than the Pro4hd for my purposes.

I would like to run on 2s also if possible.
photocycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2015, 03:13 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Upgrade the Wraith or get a Yeti?

I'd get a Yeti. It will handle much better at speed. I run Traxxas Slashes for my Speed fixes. The Yeti was not around when I was buying. Don't think it will be as fast/durable as a Slash but is more scale. I guess it depends on how much abuse you intend to give them.

Once you get hooked on speed it's hard to stop.
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:18 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Upgrade the wraith, the yeti is a epic fail from axial
AngelowDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelowDoom View Post
Upgrade the wraith, the yeti is a epic fail from axial
Can you be a bit more substantial with that claim? Genuine curiosity as to me it looks like a nice "fix for speed" next to a Wraith as oOWizzOo said.
schuimpge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:23 AM   #5

I've had my finger jittering on the trigger to buy a yeti. Why do you feel it's a failure?
Bugglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:48 AM   #6

I love my Yeti! On 3s its just as fast as my friends 2wd slash. Knowing what I know now though, I think I would get a 4x4 slash just for durability and cost reasons. Right out of the box you NEED to replace c-hubs and steering knuckles (mine broke in the first 10 minutes on 2s). After that steering and lower rear links. A $400 rig plus another $200 just to get it reliable isn't cheap..............ohhh I forgot, steering servo
CaliCrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:53 AM   #7

I was in the same boat. I am going to be racing this upcoming spring and I have a Wraith and it was put money into it and make it a racer or spend the money and get the Yeti kit.

I ended up upgrading my wraith instead. I've thrown in the MIP Center CVD, Beef Tubes, Stage One Kit, a Tekin RX8 Gen2 and ROC 412, Titanium Steering links, etc. Also waiting on VP Methods and Voodoo tires. In the long run the money I put into the Wraith was cheaper than getting a Yeti and then doing to it what my friend has.

My buddy's Yeti looks bad ass and is fast but he has also put a good amount of time and money into it. He's also fabbed parts to bulletproof some spots where he thought were trouble. I believe the upper rear shock mount is one. The kit does come with some better components but in the long run I thought the wraith would be a little better for rock racing. Granted he talked me out of it but I think he has an ulterior motive. It's my back up plan to buy a Yeti if the Wraith holds to be a dud or I am the only non Yeti out there. I figure some stuff can be moved over to the Yeti if it comes to that.

I say if you need a "crawler" and a racer, then grab a Yeti.
surgetek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:09 AM   #8

Just to throw my hat in the pile, I have a mini revo for high-speed jumping/bashing. On 3S it is wicked fast, and all I've done is shim the diffs and replace A arms with RPMs.

I had a Slash running the 2200 Castle motor, MIPs, geared for 65mph and built to withstand an IED. I like my mini better.

It's not as dual purpose as a Yeti, but it's a much cheaper "speed fix" option that is really stout when you get it.

Sent from my 306SH

Last edited by Philthy; 02-27-2015 at 10:11 AM.
Philthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:18 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

The yeti is a fail cus it can hardly be called a rtr, you have to replace so much that you can buy 2 or 3 from the go fast competitors. And the belly is so big that it gets stuck to fast on any difficult terrain.
The kit is better though, but still sloppy steering. Would go for a completely different truck if I wanted to go fast. But the wraith can be turned into a good all-arounder.
AngelowDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:10 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

If I went with the Yeti, it would be the Kit version
Old 02-27-2015, 03:58 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Just got a yeti kit at the beginning of Feb and i love it goes about 25 the way I have it geared right now, and handles great the steering is not sloppy and the knuckles and c hubs seem strong. I have been jumping mine a lot and no breaks as of yet plastics cheap aluminum just breaks more expensive parts. With that said I am also making my wraith just as fast as my yeti now I have the ssd trans on the way. right now my wraith with 16 56 gears and a 3150 kv turnigy motor run by a mmp will do about 18 mph and still crawls very well
ptaryan654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:34 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I'll throw my 2 cents in. I bought a Yeti RTR early on and ended up having/ wanting to do a lot of durability upgrades. My SCX10 was way tougher out of the box. The Yeti is fun to bash but it struggles on the rocks. And the way I drive it, run times are pretty weak compared to my other cars. Ultimatley, the Yeti inspired me to buy a Wraith. Ive thought of selling the Yeti...
DeviledEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:52 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeviledEggs View Post
I'll throw my 2 cents in. I bought a Yeti RTR early on and ended up having/ wanting to do a lot of durability upgrades. My SCX10 was way tougher out of the box. The Yeti is fun to bash but it struggles on the rocks. And the way I drive it, run times are pretty weak compared to my other cars. Ultimatley, the Yeti inspired me to buy a Wraith. Ive thought of selling the Yeti...
What battery are you running and how much run time are you getting out of the yeti?
Old 02-27-2015, 05:46 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I have a RTR Yeti, yes ive broken the usual RTR parts and done the normal upgrades.

I jumped on the Wraith when it was new as a RTR and yes broke parts and did the normal upgrades.

I also had a Slash 4x4(platinum) and yes broke parts on it and did the usual upgrades.

So that said RTR as far as i know means ready to run (after the normal checks) Not ready to race. (Or not ready to bash the bag out of)

The customer service from AXIAL is hands down some of the best I have ever experienced.

Again this is just my opinion, you will not touch the performance of a Yeti with a similarly built Wraith any day of the week. If your going U4 racing.
The Wraith will walk a comparably built Yeti on the rocks if your going crawling.

Sorry for being long winded. Good luck with your decision.
hotrodsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:13 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Hmmmm, now you guys have me second guessing on purchasing a yeti for my daughter. She is 14 and comes from the racing scene with me the last 4 years. She races the Losi xxx-scb and does well. I purchased her a jeep wrangler rubicon edition last summer and she has a very difficult time changing driving styles, not use to the drag brake and likes to throttle in turns. I was thinking if she couldn't adjust her driving style that I would get her a yeti this spring. Goes fast, can trail, and do some crawling. Usual upgrades are obvious and a given, nothing we have is stock anyway. Now I just don't know if its worth it.
Revoasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:49 PM   #16

I have both a Yeti and a Wraith. The Wraith was a slow crawler mod build. As a crawler it doesn't get banged up as hard as the Yeti. My Yeti was a opening day purchase. It had its issues that have mostly bee rectified at this point. Axial has upgraded the hubs to fix that issue. The servo is weak, it works fine at speed but turning the tires in a crawl or stopped doesn't fly to well. Pull the beadlocks apart and glue the tires in. I replaced the steering assembly do to a hard crash but other than that it has been a good car. I have much more money into the Wraith at this point.
ichoptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:33 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

I've no experience with the Yeti, but I agree with the others.. For your speed fix, a slash 4x4 is the way to go. However, there's another option to make the Wraith more feasible. RC4WD makes the 2 speed trans for the wraith. Even after upgrading the output shaft you'll have less in it than purchasing a yeti alone. Pending your existing upgrades, you could have a very stout dual purpose rig without having to upgrade the motor.
Sevastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:59 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

How many videos have you seen of a yeti doing any technical crawling? If you want your rig to be for the most part a crawler then I think you have your answer.
tacocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:12 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Check this video out. Sure, it's not a Wraith, but it's running the same axles and basically the same tranny. I'll also acknowledge Bender may have done some nifty editing to make it look more stable and speedy, but this little Ridgecrest seems to do just fine as a fun basher/quick trail runner. I don't see why a Wraith couldn't be set up in a similar manner?

Steve
pastimesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:49 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

If your looking for a fast wraith skip the weak ax2 rc4wd trans and go for the ssd-rc trans it makes it about the same gear ratio as the yeti HRT KIT
ptaryan654 is offline   Reply With Quote

Upgrade the Wraith or get a Yeti? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti Kit or Upgrade Summit? googs Axial Yeti 2 02-25-2015 02:17 PM
Axle upgrade to Yeti XL? Conejoracer Axial Yeti 2 02-23-2015 05:49 PM
would the esc from my XL be an upgrade for the small yeti? mushroom281 Axial Yeti 1 12-19-2014 08:42 PM
New axial yeti upgrade parts Cork Axial Yeti 2 09-30-2014 10:24 AM
Another Yeti Upgrade kit CKRC Hobbies CKRC Hobbies 0 09-18-2014 04:00 PM