Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Currie centered axle issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2015, 04:12 AM   #1

Default Currie centered axle issue

I'm putting my axles together and the axial hexes wont seat fully onto the axle. They are down as far as they can go. It seems as there is to much of a hat on the axle compared to the vvd. Anyone else with this issue or am I just missing something real easy.

vvd vs axle

R6MAXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2015, 07:00 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Currie centered axle issue

Is your axle tube in all the way? give a light tap on the end of the axle, i have a centered currie on mine with vp locker no problems. What locker are you running?
blumaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:14 AM   #3

in those pics they were not attached, but even after being fully built its the same. i am running lurc fi lockers. everything fits great except the hexes, that is as far on as they go.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:30 AM   #4
I joined the Band!

Looks like the shoulder needs about .060-.080" (1.5-2.0mm) shaved off, just a rough estimate based on the pictures. That's if you're sure it's not the pin, I'm guessing you've already checked the pin fit in the hex.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 11:13 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

my pins were to big so shaved a bit of. take the pins out and hex of and see if pin fit.
vegas1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 11:23 AM   #6

the pins fit in the hex no problem, they were already used on the truck. like eric0424 mentioned, i think it the axle.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:29 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

just buy the vp clamping hexes they will slide right over since they have the lil pinch slot cut in them. My son and I both have the centered rear and use the vp hexes. both fit perfect. Its not ideal to have to get another piece but might be best option. My axial hexes were just old and at the end of their time so bought the vp hexes cause I was already buying other stuff Don't know if they have a issue with other hexes. would be interesting to find out incase I need a spare on the trail.

Last edited by mrhobby100; 03-08-2015 at 03:32 PM.
mrhobby100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 03:32 PM   #8
RCC Addict

How is this a Vanquish Currie Issue?

Surely its an Axle Issue? Or am I missing something.
Dready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 03:48 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

uh the axle for the centered currie is made by vp for that rear end and comes with the currie kit.

not a big issue to me just want to know if other brand hexes don't fit than I will buy me a extra set of vp hexes for spare so I don't rely on a buddy lending me a hex that might not fit. its only a couple bucks for a set of spares just wondering.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:18 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dready View Post
How is this a Vanquish Currie Issue?

Surely its an Axle Issue? Or am I missing something.
The rear centered currie comes with chromoly axle shafts. which is why its more than the ocp rear axle.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:45 PM   #11

thanks for all the help. i wasnt sure if the vp hexes would work. will order them today.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:01 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I just bought some more hexes and they have the same issue. as you are having contact VP they are gonna work with me but they need to know other people are having the same issue.

They have the same problem with the stock hexes and the VP hexes.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:10 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6MAXX View Post
the pins fit in the hex no problem, they were already used on the truck. like eric0424 mentioned, i think it the axle.
its the axle your right. You have some good pics of the very slight difference in the vvd and the rear shaft in reference to the pin locations.you can see that the smooth part after the threads is bigger on the vvd. the centered shafts need a lil more material turned down. I now see what needs to be done and I am gonna throw mine in the lathe and get them to work until vp fixes it and sends me new ones. Good thing it can be fixed easy I have a few sets coming fro amain as replacements incase I break one.m

VP is awesome they will see the difference and fix it. I have some hexes that were machined a lil different too so I actually have a set of hexes that I can get to work with the rear VP shafts. Those are older vp hexes maybe they changed something in the new ones.

I can get everything to fit correctly and get back to crawling if I run my older hexes on the centered shafts and my newer hexes on the vvd's. Something has to have changed somewhere.

Last edited by mrhobby100; 03-31-2015 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:32 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I've also noticed this too after my last day out with my Yeti. I beat on it pretty hard and the hex started to wobble as they chewed the pin slot up because they would only go half way in.
Zombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:33 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Is there a step inside the hex that did not fit- meaning, did the hex bottom out on the shoulder of the axle (just inside of the threads) keeping it from seating on the pin?

I have had to drill hexes a little in the past (non currie) to get them to fit cvd's - could this be the issue?
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:17 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Yes that is the issue sort of. The older version of the vp hex was designed around the older scx10 that used 10mm hex pins. Axial has since changed to am 11mm hex pin so vp updated their design. The cnc program got messed up somewhere by accident and the machine was NOT drilling the center lip deep enough. Rob looked over everything and is gonna fix it. Also the pin location on the centered axles needs to be moved out about 1thousandth amd rob also saw that. They fixed the program and told me to send back my hex's and rear centered shafts and they are gonna get everything straightened out. Anybody who has a vp hex issue or centered shaft issue contact VP they will take care of you.

Currie centered axle issue - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
vanquish centered axle shafts to GCM centered housing compatibility npcaldwell Axial Yeti 7 01-31-2015 12:47 PM
Rc4wd centered rear axle otis683 Axial Wraith 2 09-15-2013 09:40 AM
Centered pumpkin wraith axle? driftdreamer06 General Scale Talk 9 10-07-2012 11:22 AM