Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Best places online to buy parts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2015, 01:02 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Best places online to buy parts?

Sadly, my LHS has... Very limited stock. They only have Axial plastic parts for suspension, driveline, etc., where I want to upgrade my spur and drive gears to metal and 32p. They do have somewhat decent electronics, but they are limited in that as well. I did pick up a new 35t motor, wired it in and got it running, and now I need wheels and tires, but... They only have a few tires, almost no foams, and only cheap plastic wheels that you have to use glue on (no beadlocks).

So, I've been cruising the Vendor listings, but not quite finding what I want... Specifically, 32p 56t metal spur gear, 32p 13t drive gear, black aluminum 2.2 wheels, and some tires. I MIGHT buy the 35R BF Goodrich tires the LHS has, but I'd still need foams.

And this brings me to my next question... I have noticed that the Wraith uses a center hub lockring style wheel mount (like F1), whereas other rigs use a multi-bolt setup, like an actual street car/rock crawler/rock racer. How hard is it to convert over from the hex nut/center lug to the multi-bolt wheel setup? I'm planning on buying a Yeti and interchangeable parts would be nice!

I did a complete disassembly and reassembly when I put the motor in. My Steering servo was... Quite loose. I'm shocked at how much it improved my steering just by tightening the two screws that hold it on. I also upgraded the 20t stock motor to a 35t motor, and noticed... My battery charge lasts... VERY long now. It's a 5,000 mAh battery, NiMH. I'd be happy with a 2-4 hour run time, but right now, I've got like... 6-9 hour run time on this thing, which is a bit much. Is there a lower-profile, lighter NiMH battery I can put in that fits up front better, or do I need to go LiPo for that?

Everyone says the 48p stock spur gear is a weak link in the driveline... I bent my wheels, and that spur gear is still going strong.
Sarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2015, 02:54 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Best places online to buy parts?

I must say I've had great service from RPP Hobby. I just placed an order with them, and within an hour I got an email saying it has been shipped with tracking number...

They have the gears you are looking for;

32p 56t metal spur gear
32p 13t drive gear
flyboy320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:32 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarra View Post
Sadly, my LHS has... Very limited stock. They only have Axial plastic parts for suspension, driveline, etc., where I want to upgrade my spur and drive gears to metal and 32p. They do have somewhat decent electronics, but they are limited in that as well. I did pick up a new 35t motor, wired it in and got it running, and now I need wheels and tires, but... They only have a few tires, almost no foams, and only cheap plastic wheels that you have to use glue on (no beadlocks).

So, I've been cruising the Vendor listings, but not quite finding what I want... Specifically, 32p 56t metal spur gear, 32p 13t drive gear, black aluminum 2.2 wheels, and some tires. I MIGHT buy the 35R BF Goodrich tires the LHS has, but I'd still need foams.
RPPHobby.com or CKRCcrawlers.com

Quote:
And this brings me to my next question... I have noticed that the Wraith uses a center hub lockring style wheel mount (like F1), whereas other rigs use a multi-bolt setup, like an actual street car/rock crawler/rock racer. How hard is it to convert over from the hex nut/center lug to the multi-bolt wheel setup? I'm planning on buying a Yeti and interchangeable parts would be nice!
I believe you'd need some Vanquish SLW style hubs. Hit up VanquishProducts.com

Quote:
I did a complete disassembly and reassembly when I put the motor in. My Steering servo was... Quite loose. I'm shocked at how much it improved my steering just by tightening the two screws that hold it on. I also upgraded the 20t stock motor to a 35t motor, and noticed... My battery charge lasts... VERY long now. It's a 5,000 mAh battery, NiMH. I'd be happy with a 2-4 hour run time, but right now, I've got like... 6-9 hour run time on this thing, which is a bit much. Is there a lower-profile, lighter NiMH battery I can put in that fits up front better, or do I need to go LiPo for that?

Everyone says the 48p stock spur gear is a weak link in the driveline... I bent my wheels, and that spur gear is still going strong.
There's different mah ratings for the batteries. But it really depends on how you drive it as to how long they'll last. Just have to experiement, or get someone more experienced with these to tell you what you need. I'd suggest finding one around 3000mah to try.

That spur gear will be fine till the first time you bind up a wheel or strain the drive train too hard. Hence why the 32p gears are such a popular upgrade. Nobody babys their rigs that much.
Sevastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:59 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

You seem to really be partial to that metal spur gear, but speaking from experience especially in nitro 4x4's, upgrade all your gears to metal EXEPT the spur gear. That way when you do get a bad bind it will strip the plastic spur gear before anything else gives out, they are cheap and easy to swap out. I used to have a handful of them in my nitro tool box, and with the torque of these crawlers I will be doing the same. Just my 2cts
RockBiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:43 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Ditto on the plastic spur gear.

Quick run down of places and or vendors which I have used, and no problems what so ever with any of them

Tower Hobbies
RPP Hobbies
Holmes Hobbies

And most recently CKRC, just ordered and received shipment in three days
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:48 PM   #6

Tower hobbies is also a pretty good place also.
tsi8125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:55 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

There's also AMain and LockedUpRC. For foams, if you want CI, you can go right to the source at Crawler Tires, Crawler Foams, Parts and Accessories by Crawler Innovations, or help out a shop too, as RPP sells 'em.
Jeckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:09 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevastra View Post
RPPHobby.com or CKRCcrawlers.com

I believe you'd need some Vanquish SLW style hubs. Hit up VanquishProducts.com

There's different mah ratings for the batteries. But it really depends on how you drive it as to how long they'll last. Just have to experiement, or get someone more experienced with these to tell you what you need. I'd suggest finding one around 3000mah to try.

That spur gear will be fine till the first time you bind up a wheel or strain the drive train too hard. Hence why the 32p gears are such a popular upgrade. Nobody babys their rigs that much.
Alrighty, checking now.

Thanks for the Vanquish idea, probably going to order a kit from them.

And... Yeah. I don't need a battery that lasts 6 hours on a charge. :p It is nice, but if I can get a battery that will last for 3 hours, and be much lighter and smaller, then I'll be happier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockBiter View Post
You seem to really be partial to that metal spur gear, but speaking from experience especially in nitro 4x4's, upgrade all your gears to metal EXEPT the spur gear. That way when you do get a bad bind it will strip the plastic spur gear before anything else gives out, they are cheap and easy to swap out. I used to have a handful of them in my nitro tool box, and with the torque of these crawlers I will be doing the same. Just my 2cts
Ahhhh. lol I'm familiar with 'intentional easily replaced weak link', seeing how I have a WRX. Stock axles and hubs + lots of power = Something's gonna break. Put in a 'weak' clutch, which is cheaper and easier to replace than, say, second gear. I'll give it a thought, I think you might be right there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade View Post
Ditto on the plastic spur gear.

Quick run down of places and or vendors which I have used, and no problems what so ever with any of them

Tower Hobbies
RPP Hobbies
Holmes Hobbies

And most recently CKRC, just ordered and received shipment in three days
Ahh, neat. yeah, I'm making a bookmark list for RC hobbies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeckler View Post
There's also AMain and LockedUpRC. For foams, if you want CI, you can go right to the source at Crawler Tires, Crawler Foams, Parts and Accessories by Crawler Innovations, or help out a shop too, as RPP sells 'em.
Thanks for the foams info, I'm gonna start looking shortly. :3
Old 03-26-2015, 06:30 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Another vote for rpphobby.com

also if you have amazon prime that's where I get most of my axial brand parts (mostly cage pieces). Can't beat 2 day shipping with very order I just ordered another hhitec 7955tg of amazon today.
tacocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:04 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I picked up a 56t 32p spur and a 14t 32p drive gear. I suspect I got the wrong spur, it doesn't bolt up to the slipper right (it sits crooked). I'm going to get some small spacers (flat washers) and see if I can fix it. Also having an issue centering it... It makes quite a racket when it is hooked up and I run the motor at all. Currently have the stock 80/20 48p gears on it. I did get a plastic spur for the upgrade.

I also cleaned out and lubricated my CV joints, both on the driveline and the balljoints in the suspension/steering.

And... I looked at my servo. There is a ton of movement in the servo gear... If I take the servo horn and pull it lightly to the right or left tires, it moves quite a bit. Any fix for this? I did have the servo apart, everything is lined up and lubricated properly.

I'm considering an... Outside the box steering setup, so I don't want to dump money into a new servo and steering links if I'm not going to even use them in the first place.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:03 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Don't forget ebay...Most of the bigger hobby stores like RPP, Tower, Amain, have Ebay accounts. Most of their prices are better than the website, and the shipping is cheaper , if not free.
KBR97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:58 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

6-9 hour run time!??? When I had nimhs I only got like 30 mins... Even with the new lipos I get 1.5-2hrs
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:05 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Wow. o.O I do get at least 6 hours out of it right now. I usually run it pretty gently, though. After 2 hours of crawling, the motor isn't even warm to the touch. Full throttle is pretty rare. I've even been doing mostly trail running lately, and even after running for a while, not much heat in the motor.

But still... This was the biggest NiMH battery the LHS had. I'm sure with a 1,500 mAh battery I'd only get 30 minutes of runtime when I had the 20t motor in. :p
Old 03-30-2015, 03:32 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I've been using amain with zero problems, even handled my cancelled order with grace and speed
Thechewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Best places online to buy parts? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good places to buy neoakaj Non Crawler RC's 0 06-08-2011 07:10 AM
good places to buy? throttlejock27 Chit Chat 15 02-22-2010 05:13 PM
Best places to buy electronics speed6 Newbie General 5 11-05-2009 09:36 AM
places to buy individual parts foproy Tamiya Clod Buster 5 05-18-2008 10:01 PM
Places to buy parts Project Dad Tamiya TLT Crawlers 2 03-31-2007 06:51 PM