Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: A newbies review of the Wraith kit.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2015, 06:39 PM   #1

Default A newbies review of the Wraith kit.

So I wanted to put up a short review and share What I learned and the problems I came across to maybe help anyone else who is wanting to do one of these but is unsure.

I want to start by saying, Team Fast Eddy's YouTube build series for the Wraith is a must. There are quite a few mislabeled parts in the instructions as well as some very ambiguous directions.
Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ-iuztai2Q
Big props to those guys for going the extra mile with that.

The first place I ran into to an issue was the diff covers, this highlighted 2 issues. The first being the quality of metal of the screws, in a word butter. This is particularly true of the smaller hexes. Even being very careful I managed to strip one of the screws holding the diff cover. Luckily I had it half way out when it finally stripped all the way and was able to get it out. I plan on finding a replacement set of harder material screws and replacing as I go.

The diff covers themselves are crap. The lip into which your screws go into is so thin you have to be very careful when installing to make sure you only crew them down until barely touching or you will screw right through them. I replaced these immediately and after seeing the hits they take on rocks the originals would have been trashed immediately anyway.

Next there is a little bit of slop in the front CVDs the rears seem to be fine but washers are needed up front.

There are actually 2 different sized mounts for mounting the servo to the servo plate one is shorter horizontally then the other. I had initially installed the longer ones and the chassis would hit the servo horn. After switching them out the cassis would not hit the servo at all. Not anything crazy but something to look out for.

The chassis it self is an easy and fun build

Electronics are pretty straight forward, do you research. I didn't have any problems, everything bolted up and fit well.

Over all I feel this is a good kit for a beginner. Understanding that you will mess up and have to take things back apart and redo them as a given, its a straight forward build needing only a little bit of commonsense and a good helping of patience.

I have had a lot of fun with my Wraith in the week since I built it. I am in the process of tuning it and of course putting together a plan of attack for upgrades.
n3cron99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2015, 12:32 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: A newbies review of the Wraith kit.

Die yours come wit CA-glue? Mine didn't. Not a big issue, just wondering. And the final gear in the tranny had a rough edge (molding residu) on one side causing the transmission to to "bind" each rotation. Cleared it with sandpaper; solved!
Overall pretty impressed wit the quality.
wouterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:59 PM   #3
I joined the Band!

Default Re: A newbies review of the Wraith kit.

Very few if any kits come with CA glue, I can't think of one that does. Axial plastic molding on some parts could be much better, that gear being one of them, and their manuals could use some editing. A file or sandpaper cleans most of the poor molding up, but overall kit quality is okay. Not the level you get from Associated, Losi or Tamiya, certainly not the worst I've seen either.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote

A newbies review of the Wraith kit. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
simple axial light kit review rckjeep Electronics 15 04-17-2020 02:43 PM
1/35 F-150 4X4 kit Assembly/Review MGCrawler Micro Scale Rigs 35 10-24-2016 04:19 AM
A Newbies Experience with the Yeti XL Kit gotcorey Axial Yeti XL 9 03-20-2015 07:29 PM
REC product review-- drop bed kit. sickcivic95 General Scale Talk 0 09-20-2013 07:12 PM