Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Project Outlaw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2015, 10:21 PM   #1

Default Project Outlaw

Getting started in the crawling world as I have been into the racing scene for a little bit. Some friends have always been into crawlers and due to my local track shutting down I thought this was the perfect time to try something new. I can already tell my wallet is going to hate me and it'll be a new addiction. I have some plans for it and thought I might as well share the build with others and learn from others on the way.

First up before I even had the kit yet I picked up some VP 10 piece link kit. While I knew there were other companies that make similar kits my lhs had them and thought I might as well start out with them.

Kit showed up last night and I was up from 11-3 building it. Really disappointed in the shocks coming from the racing scene. While I know there are upgrades available, something isn't right when Traxxas T-maxx shocks are a huge upgrade.

Today I picked up the motor and esc that I'll be running. Yes I do plan on upgrading the transmission and axles asap. I'm going to try and run some pretty hefty negative expo for now to try and lengthen the life span. Any advice on gearing would be fantastic, planning on running a 3s and switching to a 32p gear (Traxxas Jato spur?).

And that's where I'm at for now. More upgrades are to come! Hopefully get some driving video soon once the rain stops.
Grigz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2015, 10:01 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Project Outlaw

I have no gearing advice, other than I am using a Duratrax Nitro Evader spur. I think any of them with a bunch of little holes will work
Jrgunn5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:58 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Gearing really depends on your driving style and intended use. Harley's guide is pretty accurate and has good advice.

Looking like it's going to be a good build. Pick up a strong steering servo with 400oz-ish of torque, you'll be happy.
Sevastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 03:25 PM   #4

I have a Savox 1268 servo in it right now, took it out of my Ebuggy until HH gets their servo back in stock.

I couldn't wait any longer, I had to upgrade the shocks to something. My friend and I went in half for the Traxxas shocks. They feel a lot smoother than the stock plastic body Axial's. While I was at it I also upgraded the wheels. While I want VP Method wheels, they are out of stock and I figured the Axial Beadlock wheels will do for now, wasn't keen on gluing wheels again. Would rather reuse them on different wheels without melting the glue off. Anyways its finally running under its own power!

br />

I also ended up putting a Jato 56t spur on with a 11t pinion. It's undergeared but I'll play around with the gearing as I go. Not wanting something mega fast yet as the parts just won't support the power. Driving slow for now and truly just crawling around.

Last edited by THX_138; 05-27-2015 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:29 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Back in Black.Looking good!!!
RiderZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:07 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Nice build. I have a kit waiting to be built with upgrades. I have no direct experience yet (this is my first vehicle of this type) but from what I have gathered with a Robinson Racing Slash 56t spur a 14t pinion should work with the ROC412. That is what I will be running in mine when it get built. Somebody can correct me if I am wrong, but it is at least a place to start. In terms of gear ratio, somewhere between a 4/1 and 5/1 should work well.
Hope this helps.
mikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:46 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

5.09:1 is a good ratio (Current gearing). Upgrade to a 3s battery if you haven't already and you should have plenty of wheel speed when needed.

If you do a droop suspension mod (try and get the links level with the skid at ride height) it'll be much more stable and go more places.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:48 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikl View Post
Nice build. I have a kit waiting to be built with upgrades. I have no direct experience yet (this is my first vehicle of this type) but from what I have gathered with a Robinson Racing Slash 56t spur a 14t pinion should work with the ROC412. That is what I will be running in mine when it get built. Somebody can correct me if I am wrong, but it is at least a place to start. In terms of gear ratio, somewhere between a 4/1 and 5/1 should work well.
Hope this helps.
I run 56t slash spur and 14t pinion with 38/13 stock ratio in the axles in my wraith with the ROC412 on 3s always and it crawls amazing and then has all the top speed I'd ever need. Motor temps never really get past warm to the touch unless I run 3s packs back to back without letting it cool down for a bit.

Grigz looking good
crawler02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 04:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler02 View Post
I run 56t slash spur and 14t pinion with 38/13 stock ratio in the axles in my wraith with the ROC412 on 3s always and it crawls amazing and then has all the top speed I'd ever need. Motor temps never really get past warm to the touch unless I run 3s packs back to back without letting it cool down for a bit.

Grigz looking good
I have a 56t spur and a 11t pinion on 3s right now. The motor is just amazingly smooth. I don't see why more people aren't running it. I'll play with gearing once I upgrade the axles and transmission. So far I'm super happy with it. Hopefully next weekend I can take it out and get some running videos of it.

Finally got my interior built and installed. Did some clean up work today and cleaning up the wiring. Did some light crawling today just to check to make sure everything is well. Interior was painted metallic gray with black backing.

I went ahead and did the hinged hood mod to my wraith. Will make things much easier putting the battery in and getting to my electronics. All next week seems to be sunny with no chance of rain (yet), so hopefully I'll get this thing out on the trails. Waterproofing the electronics soon!

Just ordered some Hot Racing steel transmission gears and have some MIP driveshafts waiting for me to pick up. Gonna try to take it out some tomorrow but the real test will be this weekend.

Went climbing today with my friend. Just a short little climb, get a feel for how they will do. Yes my buddy was quite excited to take them out for the first time. First of many!

Last edited by THX_138; 06-24-2015 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:39 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Any reason you're running the lower VP arms opposite as most people run them? (at least that I've seen)
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Any reason you're running the lower VP arms opposite as most people run them? (at least that I've seen)
When I was putting them on I referenced a Wraith that had them positioned like I have them. Haven't thought much about it honestly. Now that I look at others I'll probably switch them around.

Still waiting on the HR gears. Ordered them Sunday, shipped out Monday. Hoping they will come tomorrow, tracking hasn't updated since they were picked up. Anyways I'm trying to decide what's next. What upgrade(s) should I do next? What tires/foam works best for rock crawling while still decent through the trails and dirt. Give me some guidance on what to do next guys!

Last edited by THX_138; 05-27-2015 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:13 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Crawler Innovations Double Deuce foams all the way.

I'm running the comp cut centers and soft outers on all four corners with a 10 lb truck. Works great combined with a soft sticky compound tire (R35 Ripsaws for me) and a good beadlock wheel.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevastra View Post
Crawler Innovations Double Deuce foams all the way.

I'm running the comp cut centers and soft outers on all four corners with a 10 lb truck. Works great combined with a soft sticky compound tire (R35 Ripsaws for me) and a good beadlock wheel.
I ordered some Deuces Wild and plan on ordering the Double Deuce foams as well and see which I like better. Looking at ordering the Vanquish Stage 1 upgrade set. Picking up some MIP driveshafts and front gears tomorrow. Luckily for me I work twice a week at my LHS. Works out great for going to college full time and detailing 1:1 cars. 73' Corvette I just finished today is going to be paying for some upgrades
Old 04-30-2015, 10:25 PM   #14

Unfortunately for me, RPP Hobbies is letting me down on my first order. Ordered the HR transmission gears Sunday. Said it shipped out Monday. Tracking never updated from the Shipment accepted status. Sent an email and got a prompt reply saying that it's already been shipped out and is on its way. 2 days later, (today) the tracking updates showing the package is just now getting picked up. While I know everyone has great experiences from them, so far I can't say the same. Sorta a let down; was counting on those gears being here for the weekend.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:32 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

RPP's service has been great as always. However it's been noted by various people across the US that USPS has been lacking lately.

Two weeks ago USPS left a package at their Sacramento location for a week solid. Yesterday I received a package from RPP two days after ordering it. USPS is hit and miss, not RPP.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:51 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

nice looking rig you've got going there.and not to change the subject, but i'll add in my usps horror story.i purchased an item from an individual in ill.(i'm in Indiana), it left there, went to mo., then to ga., then fl., then to indy., and finally down to me.so what should have taken 2 days took over a week.i've ordered a couple times from rpp, and had good luck.but, back to the subject.keep us updated on the foams, that's probably what i'll get into next on mine.i still have stock foam, cut into a star pattern in stock bfg krawlers on mine, but they seem to work good soo far.but I don't have anything to compare them to, so I don't know what i'm missing.keep up the good work.
flatfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:52 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevastra View Post
RPP's service has been great as always. However it's been noted by various people across the US that USPS has been lacking lately.

Two weeks ago USPS left a package at their Sacramento location for a week solid. Yesterday I received a package from RPP two days after ordering it. USPS is hit and miss, not RPP.
Touche. I wont put all the blame on RPP. USPS is the biggest joke in shipping there is. I have had more and more issues out of them lately. I usually try to avoid them at all costs as I rarely get anything on time from them or at all. It is what it is. Hope those little plastic gears hold up to that Tekin just a little longer.

Had some more upgrades come in today. Picked up some MIP driveshafts, front overdrive gears and some spare transmission gears as my HR steel gears will be here Monday.

Small clip of me playing around with it in the garage. Should actually be able to take it out Sunday with a group of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatfoot View Post
nice looking rig you've got going there.and not to change the subject, but i'll add in my usps horror story.i purchased an item from an individual in ill.(i'm in Indiana), it left there, went to mo., then to ga., then fl., then to indy., and finally down to me.so what should have taken 2 days took over a week.i've ordered a couple times from rpp, and had good luck.but, back to the subject.keep us updated on the foams, that's probably what i'll get into next on mine.i still have stock foam, cut into a star pattern in stock bfg krawlers on mine, but they seem to work good soo far.but I don't have anything to compare them to, so I don't know what i'm missing.keep up the good work.
I plan on going to some different tires soon but this rig may be getting wet in the near future so I wanted to go with some waterproof foams. Ill probably get a set of the Double Deuces for straight crawling.

Was able to take it out this morning with some friends down a dry creek bed. It did pretty well. Everyone else had SCX10s so out of the bunch it obviously crawled a little better up some of the more technical and bigger sections. It could benefit from a little more weight upfront and some better foams (which come Monday!) May look into some new tires later on down the road.

Last edited by THX_138; 05-27-2015 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:26 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

The kit's R35 compound Ripsaws are a good tire. You'll see a big difference once the new foams are installed. If you're still not happy you can try cutting every other lug off the tire for more traction & tire flex. Cheaper than buying another set of tires unless you're set on it.

These are what I use for tire modification. Work great, and keeps you from cutting too deep and ruining the tire so long as you stay flush.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:39 PM   #19

Good little climb my Wraith pulled off. Didn't think it had it in it.

Another clip of the Wraith crawling through a pretty tight spot. Video may not show just how narrow it was. So far I'm happy. The foams should help tons.

Foams are here! Vented the tires and installed the new C.I. Foams. Definitely stiffer now. Should help with the tires folding under them selves. Hoping to take it out this weekend and see how it does. Also talk to a few friends about starting some friendly competitions. Designing a course with gates at a few places. Nothing huge just something for all us locally to have since in Kentucky there's not much as far as crawling it seems. Anyways, I'm excited for what's coming up next as far as mods go. Got a few ideas!

So I did a thing.

Still gotta clean up some things but it came out decent. Feels pretty rigid.

Been updating a lot lately. Just keep modding and doing upgrades! Added a fuel cell to house the receiver. Think it looks alright. Planning on either painting it or plasti dipping it red and keeping the bolts black.

Installed some rear gears today and also began on a new look for the Wraith. Dunno how it'll come out. First attempt at it. We'll see.

Last edited by THX_138; 05-27-2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:28 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

That looks bit**in man
I like your use of the fuel cell.
crawler02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Project Outlaw - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1971 outlaw 10.5 nova blumaro 1:1 Full Size Vehicles 16 04-17-2013 06:39 PM
Urban Outlaw Mr.Slave Chit Chat 7 10-27-2012 10:22 AM
Cherokee Outlaw formtheday 1.9 Scale Rigs 6 06-22-2010 07:15 PM