Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wraith Spawn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2015, 05:49 PM   #1

Default Wraith Spawn

UPDATED WITH CHANGED LIST SOFAR

Alright I'm a newbie and sorry if I'm posting in the wrong area..

I was just about to drop some coin on purchasing a Spawn kit.
I have not had electric in awhile and been out of the rc game. I tried doing some searching but my Google Foo is failing me. So anyways to the questions and specs of what I might buy.

Specs:
Spawn kit
Roc412 Tekin
Mamba Max Pro ESC
Futaba 3PM-X 3-Channel FASST System
Duratrax Onyx LiPo 3S 11.1V 5000mAh 35C
Proline bronco body
Hitec HS-5645MG Digital Ultra-Torque Metal Gear 2BB
Axial dig upgrade

Questions:
Will all of that run together for the time being?
I know the gearbox and drive shafts will eventually need upgraded but for now would stuff survive?
Is there anything you would change and why.

That's all I can think of for now thanks for reading hope to read some helpful answers soon.

Last edited by Jdlucasjr; 05-26-2015 at 05:40 PM.
Jdlucasjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2015, 06:01 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Wraith Spawn

To get the maximum control out of the brushless system, it would be best to pair up a sensored ESC with that Tekin sensored motor.

What are the plans for a servo? Make sure to connect a Castle BEC to the servo to get the full amount of power to your servo and to save your other electronics.
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:04 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

First off welcome to the forums,

Spawn kit-----
Futaba------
As far as the electronics, I am not familiar with the ones you stated so I will hand that over to someone else. But I can answer the battery question, I personally run the turnigy brand batteries from Hobbyking, and I know a bunch on here run them also. You will spend less on these and they are just as good. Or you can even look into valuehobby for your batteries, much cheaper then the name brand stuff and as stated just as good.

Cheers,
Wade

Last edited by Wade; 05-25-2015 at 06:07 PM.
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:12 PM   #4
I joined the Band!

The Tekin SC4x motor is a 550, it's too long for the Wraith (66mm) without some modifications. You need a 540 (Pro4, ROC412, Reedy 544) for a drop in fit.

I have several Onyx LiPo's (2S and 3S) and have had excellent service from them, most are over two years old and are still performing/charging/balancing as they did new.

The Spawn has some durability upgrades over the other Wraith versions. How long it will last will depend on how hard you beat on it.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh2012 View Post
To get the maximum control out of the brushless system, it would be best to pair up a sensored ESC with that Tekin sensored motor.

What are the plans for a servo? Make sure to connect a Castle BEC to the servo to get the full amount of power to your servo and to save your other electronics.
Do you have a recommendation for a ESC that will work with a sensored motor? I see alot of people run the mamba system however I know nothing about these newer systems at all

And as far as the servo I was looking at the high tech or however they spell it with the metal internal. Do you have one to recommend?

Last edited by Jdlucasjr; 05-25-2015 at 06:19 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade View Post
First off welcome to the forums,

Spawn kit-----
Futaba------
As far as the electronics, I am not familiar with the ones you stated so I will hand that over to someone else. But I can answer the battery question, I personally run the turnigy brand batteries from Hobbyking, and I know a bunch on here run them also. You will spend less on these and they are just as good. Or you can even look into valuehobby for your batteries, much cheaper then the name brand stuff and as stated just as good.

Cheers,
Wade

I will have to look into those thank you.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric0424 View Post
The Tekin SC4x motor is a 550, it's too long for the Wraith (66mm) without some modifications. You need a 540 (Pro4, ROC412, Reedy 544) for a drop in fit.

I have several Onyx LiPo's (2S and 3S) and have had excellent service from them, most are over two years old and are still performing/charging/balancing as they did new.

The Spawn has some durability upgrades over the other Wraith versions. How long it will last will depend on how hard you beat on it.
I read about having to mod and didn't look to bad. It was the first sensored motor I read good things about. Most the castle stuff from brief reading was non sensored and I want to avoid the cog.

Good to hear about the batts I have no experience with lipo as I came from nitro trucks and before that was a old grasshopper.

As far as how hard I'll beat it I have no idea lol I just want something to tinker with and take with me camping when I can't take my 1:1 out crawling (to drunk or already broke something lol)
Old 05-25-2015, 06:40 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdlucasjr View Post
I read about having to mod and didn't look to bad. It was the first sensored motor I read good things about. Most the castle stuff from brief reading was non sensored and I want to avoid the cog.

Good to hear about the batts I have no experience with lipo as I came from nitro trucks and before that was a old grasshopper.

As far as how hard I'll beat it I have no idea lol I just want something to tinker with and take with me camping when I can't take my 1:1 out crawling (to drunk or already broke something lol)
I think for overall running the roc412 is an awesome motor, and the best fit for the wraith.

A Mamba max pro is what most (and myself) would reccomend. Great value, and has all the power you need. The axial vanguard esc will not be able to run a sensored motor properly.

I wouldn't run a 3s, 5000mah pack. Way too big and heavy. I run a 3s 2200-2600 pack and it saves on weight while still getting more than enough runtime.

The wraith kit has a lot of noteworthy upgrades. I just built mine. The driveshafts should hold up perfectly fine, the plastic transmission gears will also probably hold up for the time being.

The steering and bec would be where I'd look first

Check out Harley's budget build on youtube for ideas, a lot of the steps you can skip because our trucks already come with a lot of the upgrades

If you're looking to save some money on the castle ESC you can even use the Traxxas funny car esc which is internally a Mamba Max pro, just limited via software. This will require some software reflashing but in the end will save you around $60 (what I'm running right now)

Last edited by SoCal Crawlr; 05-25-2015 at 06:45 PM.
SoCal Crawlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Crawlr View Post
I think for overall running the roc412 is an awesome motor

A Mamba max pro is what most (and myself) would reccomend. Great value, and has all the power you need.

If you're looking to save some money on the castle ESC you can even use the Traxxas funny car esc which is internally a Mamba Max pro, just limited via software. This will require some software reflashing but in the end will save you around $60 (what I'm running right now)
What about the turns of the motor? I'm not against looking for another motor I just want somewhat fast and something I can make waterproof. Have a couple buddies with some fast short course rigs and one with a yeti that things pretty quick.

Is the mamba waterproof?
Old 05-25-2015, 06:49 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
What about the turns of the motor? I'm not against looking for another motor I just want somewhat fast and something I can make waterproof. Have a couple buddies with some fast short course rigs and one with a yeti that things pretty quick.

Is the mamba waterproof?
Check out Harley's thread for motor choices and gearing. You will need to pick how much speed you want versus how much crawling etc.
edit: Harley's motor thread hasn't really been updated in a few years (before the roc412 was actually released) so if you want some more up to date wraith opinions check out the build series on youtube.

My yeti runs that pro4 HD on 3s and is very quick, the roc412 (3100kv) isn't quiet as powerful but is a shorter can (will fit the wraith no mods) and is also designed for a bit smoother startup, which you'd really appreciate when slow crawing in the rocks. But again, all comes down to what you'd like to do. The 412 just seems like an excellent all around choice.

The mamba is not waterproofed. If you're looking for waterproofed holmes sells a waterproofed version of the mamba. Again, you can see the versatility of the Mamba Max pro... waterproofing on your own is always an option
Old 05-25-2015, 07:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Crawlr View Post
Check out Harley's thread for motor choices and gearing. You will need to pick how much speed you want versus how much crawling etc.
edit: Harley's motor thread hasn't really been updated in a few years (before the roc412 was actually released) so if you want some more up to date wraith opinions check out the build series on youtube.

My yeti runs that pro4 HD on 3s and is very quick, the roc412 (3100kv) isn't quiet as powerful but is a shorter can (will fit the wraith no mods) and is also designed for a bit smoother startup, which you'd really appreciate when slow crawing in the rocks. But again, all comes down to what you'd like to do. The 412 just seems like an excellent all around choice.

The mamba is not waterproofed. If you're looking for waterproofed holmes sells a waterproofed version of the mamba. Again, you can see the versatility of the Mamba Max pro... waterproofing on your own is always an option
Tried reading that until I noticed how outdated it was. I think the mamba is where I'm going to turn to now.

Was just doing some reading on the reedy motors what would be a better kv 4300 or 4800?

And because I am a lipo newb would a 3s be alright behind any of the motors mentioned? I can't seem to find the pro4

Last edited by Jdlucasjr; 05-25-2015 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:44 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Tried reading that until I noticed how outdated it was. I think the mamba is where I'm going to turn to now.

Was just doing some reading on the reedy motors what would be a better kv 4300 or 4800?

And because I am a lipo newb would a 3s be alright behind any of the motors mentioned? I can't seem to find the pro4
Mamba max pro esc, with the tekin roc412
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYu-0H1r-zo

If money is the issue, the holmes stubby brushless motors are another option.

I wouldn't get a reedy, but between those two the 4300. Even that is too high. You'd want something in the 3000-3500 range. The roc412 is a 3100 and perfect.

As far as 3s it would be fine if the Kv is low enough. Don't want to be pushing the motor too hard.

Keep in mind the wraith is quiet a bit different platform than the yeti or your friends short course trucks. The wraith is hard to control at speed, and so aiming for top end with a wraith isn't really ideal. The key with the wraith in my mind is compromise. Having super smooth low speed startup for the rocks while still having enough wheel speed to keep things interesting
Old 05-25-2015, 07:49 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

To the OP, if you're going to edit the first post, at least let everyone know what's changed. I was getting ready to call out Lentsnh2012 for not knowing the the MMP is a sensored ESC.
Jeckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:50 PM   #14
I joined the Band!

Just remembered the Reedy 544 doesn't drop below 4300kV, a little high for a crawler and are not be 3S rated.

The LRP Dynamic 10's are 4-pole 540's rated for 3S, they have a 3800kV that would be good for a Wraith. The Tekin Pro4 3300 and ROC 3100 are also great 4-pole 540's and both are 3S rated.

Avoid the stubby motors, at 44mm long there's not much motor for a Wraith. You'll be better off with the full length 540 (53-54mm) or a short 550 (55-56mm).

Last edited by Eric0424; 05-25-2015 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:05 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

I would agree that a 3s 5000 is a little big. I am building my Kit now and that is the battery I had on hand, so that is what I am using. It will fit up front but it will rub the hood a little and was tricky to locate the straps to hold it in place. When it wears out, I will be looking for a 2-3k mah battery.
Like others suggest, look at a Holmes Hubbies H2O proofed ESC and their new BL motor that can be H2O proofed.
mikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:48 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

And don't forget with lipo you will need a lipo compatible charger.
Also as others stated if you are set on brushless the roc412 is the way to go.

Cheers,
Wade

Last edited by Wade; 05-25-2015 at 08:51 PM.
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:38 AM   #17

Thanks for the help sofar guys. So you have turned me towards the mamba esc. But what about the tekin rsx?

The motor is really the only thing left for my equation it seems like. Money isn't really that big if a deal at the moment but was looking at tower hobbies where I have purchased higher priced stuff though them on there easy pay plan. 130 for a motor isn't to rediculous specially spreading it out over 3 months.

I can change from a 3s it's just something my neighbor said would be good he runs them in his systems that I know nothing about.

Last edited by Jdlucasjr; 05-26-2015 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:29 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

Castle Mamba Max Pro ESC w/ CastleLink Programming
Tekin Pro4 sensored

And perhaps make an investment and go for the Hitec 7950 servo since you'll be turning 2.2 tires?
sixtyspokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:36 PM   #19
I joined the Band!

Quote:
I can change from a 3s it's just something my neighbor said would be good he runs them in his systems that I know nothing about.
You can still run 3S you just need a lower capacity pack, the 5000mAh is too thick for the stock rear mounted batter tray. The 3S 4000mAh 25c packs from Duratrax fit without a problem.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:41 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Default Wraith Spawn

Quote:
Thanks for the help sofar guys. So you have turned me towards the mamba esc. But what about the tekin rsx?

The motor is really the only thing left for my equation it seems like. Money isn't really that big if a deal at the moment but was looking at tower hobbies where I have purchased higher priced stuff though them on there easy pay plan. 130 for a motor isn't to rediculous specially spreading it out over 3 months.

Takin also makes a great esc but at almost double the price, the mamba max seems to be the more common option as it certainly has more than enough to power these trucks.

The roc412 is right around $150, plus the tower hobbies discount code, and then you can break that number up into 3. So less than $50 a month is what I paid, I did it the same way.

By the way the pro4 and the roc412 are essentially the same motor. Only difference being is that the sensor board on the 412 is designed for better low end startup and the motor shaft size is also tapered at the end for the use of smaller pinions.

The pro4 HD is a different size all together and will not work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by SoCal Crawlr; 05-26-2015 at 02:43 PM.

Wraith Spawn - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraith run #028 - Wraith Spawn with Little Joe JoeConti Videos! 0 02-01-2015 11:55 AM
New wraith spawn desertdude Axial Wraith 2 01-17-2015 06:34 AM
Wraith Spawn HD Duramax Newbie General 7 01-14-2015 01:34 AM
Wraith posion spyder or wraith spawn Mikael Axial Wraith 12 11-25-2014 01:00 PM