Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: professors wraith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2015, 10:03 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default professors wraith

taking my time and enjoying the build, so far so good!

trying to make the cage easy to remove so trying this esc mount

going for a front battery with a crawler innovations tray, not sure about placement yet with my available battery options. I have 2s and 3s options available, I know running 3s would give me more top end but would it take much away from low end crawlability?

spawn kit
rs pro, redline 13.5
savox SB-2270SG
vp stage 1
ssd steering links
strc upper links
HR steel trans gears
YR HD servo mounts

professorcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2015, 10:32 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: professors wraith

Nice build. I run 3s but with the throttle curve adjusted on my MMP. Excellent low speed resolution and scoots when I open her up. If you can adjust throttle curve on that ESC, you're gtg. If not, does your RX/TX have an expo setting? That's another way to take the initial snap out of startup.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:14 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
Nice build. I run 3s but with the throttle curve adjusted on my MMP. Excellent low speed resolution and scoots when I open her up. If you can adjust throttle curve on that ESC, you're gtg. If not, does your RX/TX have an expo setting? That's another way to take the initial snap out of startup.
Yep Ill be sure to program in some expo one way or the other. You run a bushed motor though right? a 13t? not sure how that compares to a brushless 13.5t.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:24 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I did run 2s in my Wraith but now run 3s in both it as a 1.9 & my 2.2 U4RC rig, both MMP esc, Tekin Gen1 Redline 13.5T in the 1.9, Pro4 3300kv in the 2.2
With both being sensored they slow speed crawl as with ease, only very barely if any worse than the 35T brushed Holmes & BRXL in my SCX10.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:03 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorcake View Post
Yep Ill be sure to program in some expo one way or the other. You run a bushed motor though right? a 13t? not sure how that compares to a brushless 13.5t.
My original setup was stock ESC and HH Crawlmaster 13t on 2s. Now I'm running a HH brushless sensored puller pro 3500kv with a Mamba Max Pro on 3s. With my throttle curve set on the MMP my startup is even smoother than it was when I was brushed. I can't say enough good things about my setup now but without being able to set my throttle and brake/reverse curves like I can, it would be an entirely different story. 3s would be uncontrollable, and startup would be much more abrupt. I know because I tried linear at first. I'm sure programming expo will give you the same results. HTH
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:35 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Ended up pulling the trigger on a Holmes Hobbies TrailMaster BLE Pro ESC and Holmes Puller Pro BL 540S "Stubby" 2200kv. Will be running 4s, hoping this will give me nice low control/torque and similar wheelspeed+ of a 13.5. Also stole the SR410 out of my touring car for this build. Most of the original electronics didnt even make it outside in my wraith haha. Oh yea also have some SSD 10 hole black wheels on the way!

Pulled all the old electronics and built a CF forward mount. Plenty of options for the new gear.

Last edited by professorcake; 08-31-2015 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:12 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Nice work!

Any info on the winch mount?
CrawlCrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:42 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlCrest View Post
Nice work!

Any info on the winch mount?
Bastens winch mount plate for the Axial Wraith stock bumper - predrilled holes for RC4WD Warn / bulldog 9300xt / 3Racing / Integy T3 T4 T5 T8 winches

got mine on amazon, fits well. 3d printed, feels pretty strong. Thought it locked on to the bumper somehow but its sort of free to slide on the bumper mounts. Does not intefere with servo/leds, Overall nice piece i like it. RC4WD Baja Squadron Pro leds fit well too.

Last edited by professorcake; 08-31-2015 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:35 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

shiny new stuff to install

Old 09-03-2015, 10:39 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

love these new SSD 10 hole wheels!

notes: dont need to take the 24 scale screws out to mount a tire, several of them were pretty loose so they all got a good tightening. they were quite easy to put together and the 2.2 treps were a perfect fit. also they have quite a bit more positive offset then the kit wheels, no more rubbing on the drag link rod end.

Last edited by professorcake; 09-03-2015 at 06:17 PM. Reason: notes
Old 09-03-2015, 06:14 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

getting there. ran a brief bench test on the motor (4s), wow extremely smooth! Barely any startup sound at all so quiet. More details on that after its rolling.

Last edited by professorcake; 09-03-2015 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:32 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Looking pretty close to done so I took a few pics with decent lighting for once haha.

Revised Parts List
-Holmes TrailMaster BLE Pro ESC + Puller Pro BL 540S 2200kv motor
-Turnigy Nano-Tech 4S 2200mah 45-90c
-Hitec HS-7954SH + Axial Clamping Servo Arm
-Spektrum SR410 receiver
-CC BEC @ 7.4v
-SSD 10 Hole 2.2 Wheels + Axial Trep Kit tires
-SSD Steering Links
-Vanquish Stage 1 Blue
-STRC Upper Links
-Hot Racing Steel Transmission Gears
-Yeah Racing HD servo mounts
-Horn Mod (rx controlled switch + buzzer)
-3 Racing Winch/Controller
-Bastens Winch Mount
-RC4WD Baja Squadron Pro LEDs
-Freqeskinz body wrap
-Custom Carbon fiber front/mid/rear plates and battery hold down tabs by me

Old 09-14-2015, 09:27 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILER View Post
That's sweet man! What do you think of the 4S? Gotta be a beast!
This power system is awesome. Took it for its first real shakedown run, 15 or so minutes around the yard and crawling some basic features around the yard. WOW this thing definitely has some torque. Way higher wheelspeed/topspeed than I was targeting, and it spools up in what feels like an instant. After some tinkering with the castle link settings (mainly high startup power and 8khz pwm) I was able to achieve extremely smooth start up and low speed control as well. The stock gearing for the spawn kit seems to work out just fine. Overall I am super impressed with this holmes combo, definitly a best of both worlds type of system on 4s.

Battery was around 2/3 capacity at the end of the run so I estimate ~30 minutes at least from a pack. 2200mah is not a huge capacity but the high voltage and low KV is quite efficient.

Had me wishing for the ability to switch the esc drive mode on the fly between crawler mode (immediate reverse and drag brake) and regular forward/brake/delayed reverse.

Last edited by professorcake; 09-14-2015 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:51 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Default professors wraith evolves!

My wraith is now black blue silver and... bender! Made lots of changes I think all for the better.

Ditched the spawn body in favor of some panels. Made the rear roof section and rear gap piece from some sheet metal. Was originally going to paint them black but ended up scouring the sheet metal pieces with a wire brush and I am liking the brushed look! may need to remake these panels with thicker metal but ill thrash these first.

Also added vp diff covers, Yea racing bearing/diff retainers, axial HD rear gears and OD front gears, and custom made shock mount braces to stiffen up the shock mounts. relocated the LEDs to under the hood (much better, when they were mounted on the bumper they tended to hit EVERYTHING).

Oh and finally added the bender head "driver figure". I was never much for interiors in RCs but I wanted to add some personalization.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:44 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Super clean work on the panels especially. I'm also running 4S in my Yeti with a 2500kv motor the power is awesome.
CamaroTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:53 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Got some goodies from RPP, they even set me up with a complimentary candy cane . I am very impressed with these GripFab SS Spools, they appear very high quality. Tight tolerances and beautiful machine work, nearly zero play. The DMG front skid looks solid, was a bit surprised the bottom was not countersunk for flush hardware, fixed that in about 2 seconds on the drill press. Covered the surface with some chassis protector to keep it shiny a bit longer.

The RC4WD bag is an inner fender kit, ill get to work on that soon.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:05 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I got a box from RPP showing up today, hope I got a candy cane too.

Since you run 4S, check out SMC for batteries. They make a 3600mah 4S pack that is stuffed into the same case as a 2S pack. It should fit nicely up front and give a good bump in runtime.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 07:03 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Ok this is getting out of control now

Old 12-04-2015, 01:30 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
I got a box from RPP showing up today, hope I got a candy cane too.

Since you run 4S, check out SMC for batteries. They make a 3600mah 4S pack that is stuffed into the same case as a 2S pack. It should fit nicely up front and give a good bump in runtime.
I got my SSD high ratio trans from RPP yesterday, with optional candy cane goodness. If they don't hook you up with the candy cane I'd be surprised.

See what I did there? Hook you up, candy cane. Man I amuse myself.
MonkeyFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:54 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Inner fenders installed, should have been easy but i screwed it up, doh. I used my heat gun a bit too long on one of the front fenders and warped it pretty bad. I bent two small identical pieces of sheet metal to right angles and sandwiched the fender in place while heating it to restore its shape. Ended up doing this to both sides to get a matching set, lost some of the nice contours but it ended up decent considering.

Rustoleum truck bed liner is magical stuff and hid some of the imperfections. I tested it on a small piece of lexan and after it dried it held up to bend/scratch tests and seemed well adhered. Really liking how the texture matches the blue panels. I recommend it to everyone!

Finally, I also made a lower rear bed from sheet metal and it came out pretty good. Might hit it with the truck bed liner as well, cant decide so I am leaving it as is for the moment.

Although I like the ESC mounted where it is for performance reasons, I am starting to rethink it as it limits my interior options. Not enough room for an interior or driver figure. Now that the back half of the interior is looking good i am starting to want the forward section to be clean too.

professors wraith - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Professors Ascender... complete? professorcake Vaterra Ascender 19 08-06-2015 10:00 PM