Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: wraith ESC cut off, + RTR kit wheel problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2016, 05:58 AM   #1

Default wraith ESC cut off, + RTR kit wheel problem

Hi, I am new to crawlers (and rc`s)

I got the RTR wraith spawn just the other week, completly stock and was using a yokomo 2s lipo. I have only run it the once and today I was cleaning up my hobby room and noticed the battery, which I left in the car un-connected was connected. It seems my son decided to have a play with it while I was out. Left it connected and left it switched on.

I turn the car and TX on, nothing. I then tried to charge the battery.
My charger HI-tech X1 displayed a low voltage message. I tried to find what that means in the charger`s instructions.
"voltage is lower than the input voltage" Not sure what that means?
I know lipo batteries need to maintain a certain level of charge, but I thought the ESC had a cut off. Does it still draw power just being connected? I assume the battery in now stuffed.
Can it be saved? I can still charge my other lipo and li-fe batteries.

Next, While I had it out on its first run. I noticed the front left wheel was wobbly/ wonky. Took it off couldn`t notice anything strange. So I thought something was bent somewhere. So I switched the front wheels over.
And sure enough the same wheel now on the right was wobbly.
I cant see anything wrong, Any ideas?

I got the car, because my son wanted someone to run with. He has a little
latrax teton. he was chuffed his little car could thrash my big car.
Then I crossed an almost dry rocky river, climbing over big rocks. the look on his face was priceless. Now he wants to trade speed for what I have.
Ha ha ha, we had a blast together.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
monchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2016, 01:19 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: wraith ESC cut off, + RTR kit wheel problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by monchan View Post
Hi, I am new to crawlers (and rc`s)

I got the RTR wraith spawn just the other week, completly stock and was using a yokomo 2s lipo. I have only run it the once and today I was cleaning up my hobby room and noticed the battery, which I left in the car un-connected was connected. It seems my son decided to have a play with it while I was out. Left it connected and left it switched on.

I turn the car and TX on, nothing. I then tried to charge the battery.
My charger HI-tech X1 displayed a low voltage message. I tried to find what that means in the charger`s instructions.
"voltage is lower than the input voltage" Not sure what that means?
I know lipo batteries need to maintain a certain level of charge, but I thought the ESC had a cut off. Does it still draw power just being connected? I assume the battery in now stuffed.
Can it be saved? I can still charge my other lipo and li-fe batteries.

Next, While I had it out on its first run. I noticed the front left wheel was wobbly/ wonky. Took it off couldn`t notice anything strange. So I thought something was bent somewhere. So I switched the front wheels over.
And sure enough the same wheel now on the right was wobbly.
I cant see anything wrong, Any ideas?

I got the car, because my son wanted someone to run with. He has a little
latrax teton. he was chuffed his little car could thrash my big car.
Then I crossed an almost dry rocky river, climbing over big rocks. the look on his face was priceless. Now he wants to trade speed for what I have.
Ha ha ha, we had a blast together.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

If I'm not mistaken, when you leave your truck turned on the steering servo draws a small amount of voltage at idle. Which the LiPo cutoff wouldn't register, that's only for the throttle/steering inputs from the receiver/controller. I have done this with one of my batteries, I was able to recharge it after letting it sit for a couple of days. Just make sure that you put it somewhere that it can't potentially catch anything on fire. Also make sure that you check it and ensure that it's not hot.
Try charging it in a couple of days and go from there.

As far as the "wobble", that is the tire wasn't glued to the rim correctly. Same thing happen to my kids RTR. If you're up for it, youtube how to remove a tire from the rim and try to glue it back on yourself. It doesn't hurt anything it's just annoying to look at
NWHavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:50 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

If your charger will charge Nimh batteries you can use this setting to put some charge into your LiPO. Only use 0.5 amps for about 10 minutes then you should be able to charge your battery as usual.I have done this with a battery that had low voltage from new and it now works fine.Hope this helps.
Old Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:15 PM   #4

Dude you got lucky! I took my wrath out for a run and stuck it in the shed after. A week later I went out to my shed to be greeted by a bad electrical burning smell. I found the wraith with the lipo still plugged into the esc. Which was toast. The lipo was puffed and the cables were crispy. I count myself pretty lucky not to have lost the whole shed.
Gavinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:03 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I have heard of guys leaving their lipo plugged in but switched off the esc and coming back to a burned lipo. ESC's do have a draw after they are switched off. Always store a lipo in a safe bag or a metal container. Never store a lipo in your car/truck. Do you have a lipo checker? It plugs into the balance plug and shows the level of charge in each cell.
CrawlCrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:24 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Kid View Post
If your charger will charge Nimh batteries you can use this setting to put some charge into your LiPO. Only use 0.5 amps for about 10 minutes then you should be able to charge your battery as usual.I have done this with a battery that had low voltage from new and it now works fine.Hope this helps.
x2, I have saved lipos this way that have over discharged.
SynisteR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:25 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies. That helps a lot. I will try the nimh way. I have a lipo checker, it doesn't even light up.

Your right about the wheel, very annoying to look at. Will glue it back. I will reply here again and let you know if I manage to save the battery. On holiday now, back in a few days. (In Okinawa now)

Sent from my M01 using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2016, 06:14 AM   #8

Thanks, Battery saved, charged and car running. Before asking here I googled it, found a site that went into detail
(too much detail) about battery chemistry la la la. Didnt understand it and was going to dispose of it. lucky I asked here.

As for my wobbly wheel. I youtubed how to remove glued tires from the wheels as suggested. Started pre-heating the
oven, removed the hex screws. Not a drop of glue to be seen. So I checked all the wheels not a drop of glue anywhere.
The tires just pop right off. I re-mounted the wobbly wheel. Not wobbly any more. Is it really possible the guy on the factory floor
didn`t glue any wheels? I have some tamiya tire glue that will do yeah?

Anyway you guys saved me a battery, and my wonky wheel is all good minus glue.

are there any other areas of the rtr kit that often need looking at?

cheers and thanks again.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:20 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by monchan View Post
Thanks, Battery saved, charged and car running. Before asking here I googled it, found a site that went into detail
(too much detail) about battery chemistry la la la. Didnt understand it and was going to dispose of it. lucky I asked here.

As for my wobbly wheel. I youtubed how to remove glued tires from the wheels as suggested. Started pre-heating the
oven, removed the hex screws. Not a drop of glue to be seen. So I checked all the wheels not a drop of glue anywhere.
The tires just pop right off. I re-mounted the wobbly wheel. Not wobbly any more. Is it really possible the guy on the factory floor
didn`t glue any wheels? I have some tamiya tire glue that will do yeah?

Anyway you guys saved me a battery, and my wonky wheel is all good minus glue.

are there any other areas of the rtr kit that often need looking at?

cheers and thanks again.
Glad to see that everything worked out for the best. I'm a little surprised to hear about no glue on any of the tires. That really sucks but at least it's an easy fix.
The few things I have found that need checking every so often is the wheel nuts, C-hub screws, steering linkage screws and rear lockout screws. For the most part they are well built for a rtr, you just have to keep an eye on screws coming loose. I've busted a couple of things (listed above) because of not checking to see if they're tight. Hope you the best and keep us informed.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:22 AM   #10
RCC Addict

You don't have glue on wheels. There is not supposed to be any glue.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:41 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
You don't have glue on wheels. There is not supposed to be any glue.

Thank you for the correction. I didn't read the first post entirely. The Spawn comes with a beadlock style rim that doesn't require tire glue. I apologize for the miss information
Old 01-11-2016, 10:00 PM   #12

@maslin thanks for clearing that up. Glad I decided not to glue them up, even though I had the glue.
@old kid thanks for the battery tip, saved me a quid.

cheers all.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:54 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Happy to have helped.
Old Kid is offline   Reply With Quote

wraith ESC cut off, + RTR kit wheel problem - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraith rtr esc problem? fish-hunter Axial Wraith 11 07-13-2013 06:07 AM
wraith rtr/builder kit , ax10 ridgecrest or scx10 kit hocho/dingo xC Pirates Newbie General 9 06-09-2012 06:54 AM
Axial RTR ESC problem Jive Axial AX-10 Scorpion 4 02-28-2010 07:15 AM