Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: wraith lighting options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2015, 10:25 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default wraith lighting options

Hey gang, just curious what opinions are for the best lighting for a wraith. I'd like to get some rock lights and an LED light bar (maybe 2) but I don't want to spend the $$ on Vanquish (plus a friend has one and we have not been impressed). Would like to see some more cost friendly options.

Thanks!
SynisteR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2015, 10:49 AM   #2

Default Re: wraith lighting options

Gear Head make some decent stuff, I have quite a bit of their non lighting stuff and it all tip-top. The price isn't much lower that Vanquish though, but you get what you pay for. RPP hobby has a ton of options, check there.
Necrotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 11:05 AM   #3
SMW
Rock Stacker

Are you looking for scale lights for looks or major lighting for night trail rides or both ? What batteries are you running ? There are many ways to go from dirt cheap to major expense . Check out RPP 's search and many different lights are available. If you want to go dirt cheap and non scale, Harbor Freight freebies that you can pick up with a coupon can be zip tied to your rig. The weight doing this however can really change your center of gravity. Your budget really is going to be your major factor.
SMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:11 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynisteR6 View Post
I want a combination of semi scale looking lights and functional.

I just picked up a used wraith that came with 10 little led's for headlights, break lights, hazards and turn signals and a driver with a servo in him to swivel his head when turning. I took the whole setup out so pm me if you would like some pics. And I have a vid of it working before I took it out.
akatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:24 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by akatz View Post
I just picked up a used wraith that came with 10 little led's for headlights, break lights, hazards and turn signals and a driver with a servo in him to swivel his head when turning. I took the whole setup out so pm me if you would like some pics. And I have a vid of it working before I took it out.
So how was all of that plugged in?
Vitamin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:46 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I'll take some pics when I get home of it all, it was a mess with that many wires. They all plugged in to a control box thing.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:52 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Old 10-01-2015, 07:00 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

How much are able/willing to DIY?
I'm building a lightset including driver for about $10.
(Bought $40 worth of materials but can get at least 4 sets out of it. Includes, among others, 100 1W power LEDs, 50 lenses and 8 sets of transistors)
It's in the prototype fase now, but I will post resistor values when I sorted them out.

Check my threat in 'electronics' DIY LED. (I'll paste the link when on a decent computer).

edit:
DIY high power LED and driver system

Last edited by wouterb; 10-01-2015 at 07:12 AM.
wouterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:42 AM   #9
SMW
Rock Stacker

Placing an led light bar on your roof and then using the Axial lighting systems and/or many of the Axial spare light cages included with rtrs can get you a functional and rather scale looking rig. You may want to pick up a Gear Head 4 AAA battery holder with switch GEAELE 001 and plug the lights you want to switch on/off into it. Check RPP's Salvage yard page. You can find many of the spare pieces that are not used on the rtr, but included with the rtr, for a good price. Lenses for the light buckets can be found in some of the bags also . This probably goes without saying but......make sure you place any lights on your vehicle where they are protected from crashes and roll overs. It only takes one cartwheel to take out a lot of " cool" looking lights that are unprotected.
SMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:24 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wouterb View Post
How much are able/willing to DIY?
I'm building a lightset including driver for about $10.
(Bought $40 worth of materials but can get at least 4 sets out of it. Includes, among others, 100 1W power LEDs, 50 lenses and 8 sets of transistors)
It's in the prototype fase now, but I will post resistor values when I sorted them out.

Check my threat in 'electronics' DIY LED. (I'll paste the link when on a decent computer).

edit:
DIY high power LED and driver system
I love DIYing it, but that's just a little over my head... well maybe not over my head but not enough experience to pulll that off...

Any other DIY ideas?
Old 10-02-2015, 09:26 AM   #11

Hey guys, first time posting but I have a light related question and this seems to be the best place to ask...Anyone know if the Axial High Output LED Controller can be plugged directly into unregulated 2S lipo? Instructions show it run through the RX, but I would prefer to power it with its own battery...suggestions?
NorCalRaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 02:08 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

What I run is a 3 led pod from Frys electronics. They are "splash proof" and mount under the rig with 3m tape. Handles up to 3s power. On my wraith I'm running Amber rock lights and two VP light bars

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443816450.248624.jpg
Views: 1132
Size:  101.7 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443816506.409885.jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  75.3 KB
Solid94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:32 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

I bought the axial light kit with the controller thinking I could use my 4th channel to turn the lights on and off. Well, it doesn't do that. Now I run the cheap leds from my LHS that plug directly into the receiver. Daisy chain them to each other. I actually put in a BEC to regulate the power. I run the 5 on the light bar. And 8 down on the ground for rock lights.

Bmelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 02:07 PM   #14

4 - 3mm Rock Lights, 3 LED Projector style housings on the roof, 2 - 5mm headlights, 2 - 3mm headlights and a pair of brake lights. All built for under $50. In my opinion if you can soder and know a little about wiring its the best route to go.

Rick
ramsport59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:17 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid94 View Post
What I run is a 3 led pod from Frys electronics. They are "splash proof" and mount under the rig with 3m tape. Handles up to 3s power. On my wraith I'm running Amber rock lights and two VP light bars

Attachment 327337
Attachment 327338

Nice! Thanks for the responses guys... still not 100% sure what I'm going to do but I'll keep looking at options and try to keep you posted ;)

wraith lighting options - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Arduino based scale LED lighting - Wraith drzoo2 Electronics 30 06-20-2019 12:23 PM
Simple Wraith Lighting Question GALLATIN RC Axial Wraith 2 04-01-2015 06:20 PM
KOH/Ultra4/Wraith lighting question (1:1 guys help me out) Soulo747 Axial Wraith 2 07-22-2012 02:53 PM
Wraith lighting question. Scoutguy Electronics 7 06-28-2012 02:22 PM
Wraith lighting upgrade YYCADM Axial Wraith 8 10-13-2011 06:47 AM