Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Any advice on foams for Pitbull Rock beasts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2015, 12:02 PM   #1

Default Any advice on foams for Pitbull Rock beasts?

Just got a Wraith about a month ago. I'm looking to purchase Rock Beast tires. Just wondering what foams people are running on theirs. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mugenteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2015, 12:12 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Any advice on foams for Pitbull Rock beasts?

How heavy is your wraith? I run mine with the deuces wild and love them. It side hills great and gets plenty of traction in the rocks. Mine weighs around 9lbs. I don't bash much with mine. I tried the double deuces and didn't like them as well. And no flat tire look.

This is how mine sits with the deuces wild.

68_f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:32 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I tried all kinds of ci foams and that's what I run in all my rigs but i had the best all around performance with proline 2 stage. I know it's wierd!
AWraith build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:35 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I have the double deuces and they work well but I do have the aforementioned flat tire look. They hook up great but with a heavier rig they cause the tires to ride a little low. I tore my wraith apart and am building a 2.2 unimog on wraith axles and scx10 frame. It will be a slightly lighter rig so I will see how the doubles do with it. I may end up going to the wilds tho. The PitBull Foams are no good tho. Way too soft. I would stick with Crawler Innovations for sure.
mr.rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 04:42 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I've had ProLine's oversized memory foams (horrible and way too small), CI DD 6.0 comp cut with soft outers (Awesome but a bit too small), and I just installed some of PitBull's Dos Piezas two stage foams and have yet to take them on a full trek. The only reason for the switch from CI foams is because even with the 6.0 tall outer foams there was still about 1/4 of an inch of dead space between the inner tire tread carcass and the foam. This drove me nuts so I ordered a set of the PitBull foams assuming that since they were made by the same company, hopefully they would at least fill the tire out. Boy do they fill the tire out. They went in fairly easy and with my ~10lb ish Wraith they sit perfect. Just enough tire deflection to make a good contact patch without looking flat or solid stiff. I was only able to do a bit of testing in my backyard "testing grounds" but so far they perform at least as good as the CI foams and side hill just a bit better, I think due to the fact that overall, the tire is more "pressurized" from being filled with more foam. I do think that a soft outer on the CI foams was a mistake and I should've at least chosen medium or even firm. This may have kept me from looking for a more fitting foam. HTH
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 04:49 PM   #6

+ 1 for some CI foams. I run them in my 1.9 rockbeasts
03mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:34 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

CI 6.0. Soft front. Medium rear. Amazing crawling performance. Never bash or use it for Ultra 4 type running so I'm not sure how they would perform at high speed. But for crawling this is a great setup. Really grab the rocks.
Bmelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:23 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

The 2 stage I used were not to small they were the same size as the pits. I run ci in all 12 of my rigs. Idk why the proline worked better on my setup. That's the problem no one rig is the same so it's hard to say what works best for you. I know Eddie has the best foams and I tried 2 diff sets.

Last edited by AWraith build; 10-11-2015 at 09:32 PM. Reason: I suck
AWraith build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 04:34 PM   #9

Everyone seems to be recommending crawling foams. What about a rig that also gets used for some bashing?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Caswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:17 PM   #10

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who offered their advice. I went with CI comps foams and love them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mugenteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:40 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caswell View Post
Everyone seems to be recommending crawling foams. What about a rig that also gets used for some bashing?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Yeah, with any significant amount of bashing I'd run Deuces Wild foams for sure.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote