Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Roc 412 vs crawl master pro?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2015, 02:09 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Roc 412 vs crawl master pro?

I'm very new to the crawler scene and have read for hours on here but searching from my phone sucks.
I have full vp links,mip shafts, and ordering vp stage 1 kit and I know I'm going to break stuff goin brushless before I upgrade everything but that's how I like to learn. I'm set on the roc 412 3300 kv or the Holmes crawl master pro in 3100 kv with mmp, but just want to hear people's experiences/opinions with either. I want the most reliable setup I can get.
Videos of either would be cool too, can't find many of the Holmes at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
akatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2015, 03:00 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Roc 412 vs crawl master pro?

I run the 3100 roc412 on 2s with the ax2 trans. I love the combo. I'd do it over again. I run the mmp and they work great together. I've read great things about the HH puller pro 3500. It's probably the only motor I would consider other than the roc. can't go wrong either way.
68_f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:13 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68_f100 View Post
I run the 3100 roc412 on 2s with the ax2 trans. I love the combo. I'd do it over again. I run the mmp and they work great together. I've read great things about the HH puller pro 3500. It's probably the only motor I would consider other than the roc. can't go wrong either way.

What gearing are you running and how long have you been running it?
What's the difference in the puller pro and crawl master pro?
Old 10-12-2015, 03:20 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Crawmaster has smoother start up, Puller is super tourqey but wont crawl as slowly. Both great motors.
DeviledEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:49 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I've had it running 6 months now with lots of crawling. I run 11/56 on the trans and stock ratio hd gears in the axles.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:12 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68_f100 View Post
I've had it running 6 months now with lots of crawling. I run 11/56 on the trans and stock ratio hd gears in the axles.

Good to know thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeviledEggs View Post
Crawmaster has smoother start up, Puller is super tourqey but wont crawl as slowly. Both great motors.

I do like the price of the crawlmaster also. Do you run their esc?

Last edited by THX_138; 10-27-2015 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:19 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I run a roc412 with mmp on 56/12 spur/pinion gearing with over/under drive gearing in the axles. I use a 3s battery too. I love this setup, no complaints. I mostly crawl and trail.
CrawlCrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:25 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by akatz View Post
I'm set on the roc 412 3300 kv or the Holmes crawl master pro in 3100 kv with mmp,

What crawlmaster pro 3100kv are you talking about?
The Crawlmaster Pro is a brushed not brushless motor like the roc412.
The lowest turn Crawlmaster I can see is an 11t = 2675Kv which is obviously a lot different to a 412 @ 3300k.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:53 PM   #9
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Maybe he means Puller or TrailMaster Pro.

In brushless, the Puller Pro is smoothest and also carries the most power per unit weight of motor. 4 pole. Highest caliber brand line.

Next is the TrailMaster Pro, two pole but with a specialized rotor and stator for better startup and stall torque. Smooth starting, snappy low and mid range, high power. You won't find a similar BL performing two pole, because it isn't based on race legal parts.

TrailMaster sport is the budget BL motor. Two pole with 14mm rotor and typical race stator. Not as smooth starting, but brutal low end and mid range. It's only low priced because we offer it with no frills packaging, it is our best selling BL line right now.

In brushed, the CrawlMaster Pro is the smoothest starting, and offers the widest wheelspeed range in brushed. Smoothest motor on the market I would venture. But being brushed, it will wear out over time and would not be considered most reliable compared to a brushless. World of difference between a CrawlMaster and a Puller Pro.

If it's not a comp rig or time to test motors, I throw a Puller Pro in a rig. SCX10's and trailfinders get the Stubby. Wraiths get the 540. Yeti's get the XL. I'm liking them more than the Revolver even, with exception to pushing really heavy or tow rigs.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:51 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Yea I worded that wrong, trail master series is what I was looking at.
At lest someone was paying attention lol!
Thanks for all that info John! Can I call to order and ask a few questions since this will be my first brushless system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blarouche View Post
I have the puller in my wraith, and the torque master in my scx10. Completely different motors. The Puller has tons of power, my wraith has a two speed tranny, is crazy heavy, and I run a three cell. It has tons of torque and is smooth on the bottom end.

The torque master is buttery smooth on the startup and has a good amount of wheel speed. I'm running 87/20 gearing ( I know it is too high) and I have ran it for 3 hours at once with no issues.

Nice!
I was going to buy a 2 speed from a buddy but I don't really plan on high speed bashing but wheel speed on demand is what I need for our steep hills.

Anyone have any videos of their Holmes brushless setup?

Last edited by THX_138; 10-27-2015 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:46 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I have the puller in my wraith, and the torque master in my scx10. Completely different motors. The Puller has tons of power, my wraith has a two speed tranny, is crazy heavy, and I run a three cell. It has tons of torque and is smooth on the bottom end.

The torque master is buttery smooth on the startup and has a good amount of wheel speed. I'm running 87/20 gearing ( I know it is too high) and I have ran it for 3 hours at once with no issues.
blarouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:43 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

If your looking for wheels speed the Holmes brushless will not disappoint. We have loose steep climb I put it into second and full throttle up it. It is haut a good motor my rx8 gets hotter than that motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
blarouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:08 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Maybe he means Puller or TrailMaster Pro.

In brushless, the Puller Pro is smoothest and also carries the most power per unit weight of motor. 4 pole. Highest caliber brand line.

Next is the TrailMaster Pro, two pole but with a specialized rotor and stator for better startup and stall torque. Smooth starting, snappy low and mid range, high power. You won't find a similar BL performing two pole, because it isn't based on race legal parts.

TrailMaster sport is the budget BL motor. Two pole with 14mm rotor and typical race stator. Not as smooth starting, but brutal low end and mid range. It's only low priced because we offer it with no frills packaging, it is our best selling BL line right now.

In brushed, the CrawlMaster Pro is the smoothest starting, and offers the widest wheelspeed range in brushed. Smoothest motor on the market I would venture. But being brushed, it will wear out over time and would not be considered most reliable compared to a brushless. World of difference between a CrawlMaster and a Puller Pro.

If it's not a comp rig or time to test motors, I throw a Puller Pro in a rig. SCX10's and trailfinders get the Stubby. Wraiths get the 540. Yeti's get the XL. I'm liking them more than the Revolver even, with exception to pushing really heavy or tow rigs.

John I keep looking for a reason to try the 3500kv puller pro. I almost wish I would burn up my roc412 so I could try one of your motors. Everything I read about your product sounds awesome.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:40 PM   #14

Man I like my pro puller 3300kv really the torque and smoothness the it in my wraith.
My buddy likes his roc 412 though will be getting a Holmes hobbies pro puller after driving mine.
rocktoy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:57 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

I've got the 3100Kv 412 paired with a MMP. I have my throttle and reverse curves both with a nice mellow curve. Gives me fantastic low speed control and still tons of top end of wheel speed if needed. I'm running 56/10 spur/pinion.

3S all day.

Last edited by GTSLOW; 10-18-2015 at 07:07 PM.
GTSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:37 PM   #16

I've only put 2 packs through my new setup which is a MMP and 3300kv trailmaster sport on 3s and so far I love it. Holmes support is awesome. I emailed them with some questions that I was unsure of regarding MMP setup and gearing recommendations and I had a response the next day.

I'm geared 12/56 and it does tend to get a bit hot so going try a 10 tooth pinion just worried I will lose too much wheel speed
matt.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:36 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt.h View Post
I've only put 2 packs through my new setup which is a MMP and 3300kv trailmaster sport on 3s and so far I love it. Holmes support is awesome. I emailed them with some questions that I was unsure of regarding MMP setup and gearing recommendations and I had a response the next day.

I'm geared 12/56 and it does tend to get a bit hot so going try a 10 tooth pinion just worried I will lose too much wheel speed
you wont lose enough to worry about!
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:02 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

I've got a used roc412 3100 and mmp on the way next week and was gonna go with 56/12 gearing but Should I go lower to avoid the heat?
Old 10-19-2015, 06:57 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I've got a used roc412 3100 and mmp on the way next week and was gonna go with 56/12 gearing but Should I go lower to avoid the heat?
So I did a 5 hour crawl yesterday and finger tested the motor and ESC a lot. While the ESC fan went on and off throughout the day the motor and ESC were NEVER hot to the touch and actually warm only. I was super impressed. I also got fantastic run times on my 3000 packs.

56/10
GTSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:08 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
56/10 is the sweet spot for my roc412 3100kv and CC MMP...
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote