Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: are VP VVD's worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2015, 01:41 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default are VP VVD's worth it?

I'm running the axial unis now and have an extra set. But they don't engage into my vp lockers far enough to lock them with the set screws. So do I get VVD's or different lockers? If the VVD's are a lot tougher than the axial units then I'm down with it. If not I can get a pair of spools cheaper.
68_f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2015, 02:08 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: are VP VVD's worth it?

From the research I've done, the axial universals are just as if not more reliable than the VVD's. I'd say go extra spools. I noticed Die-Laughing (rick from Gripfab)had some Gripfab v2s for an awesome price. I'm waiting on some v3 ARBs that I picked up off him about a week ago that will get installed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Slayso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 04:57 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Another option is take the set screws out of the VP locker and run it that way. That way you can use the $$$ on another hop up. It all comes down to how OCD your are about the slop.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:27 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7zpj View Post
Another option is take the set screws out of the VP locker and run it that way. That way you can use the $$$ on another hop up. It all comes down to how OCD your are about the slop.
I dont like the slop. When crawling I get this rig left right left thing out of the front tires and I don't like it at all.
Old 10-24-2015, 05:41 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68_f100 View Post
I dont like the slop. When crawling I get this rig left right left thing out of the front tires and I don't like it at all.
Then I would pick up a set of HH Torque Master spools or FI Spools from Locked Up RC.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 11:49 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I just got done installing and testing new VP VVDs and HH spool and I'm pretty happy with this setup. There's no more slop but the turn radius is not quite as tight as it was with the universals. While I had everything apart I mocked up the HH spool with the Axial universals and it's mostly slop-free too. I think this would be the way to go if you have a good set of universals. Mine are pretty worn and have a fair amount of play in the U-joint itself plus I just forked out for the VVDs so I gotta use 'em.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:26 AM   #7

I run the UNIs and HH spools and love em. This has been a very reliable setup with very little to no slop.
It's time to replace my rears soon, not sure which way I'll go on those. I definitely want to go with a set that's an upgrade to the OEMs. I haven't had any issues with the Axial shafts that's just how I roll.
Beorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 01:11 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Do yourself a favour and contact rick from Grip Fab. His spools are back in production but also has some old stock v2 for $23 a piece! You won't find a bad word about these lockers, he'll that's the reason I sourced them from rick and got them sent down under. You think I'd waste 10-15 dollars on a better or worse locker, hell no. I buy the best when I'm paying for postage from the states

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Slayso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:29 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

The only problem I see with axial cvds, is that the pin and carrier at the stub, develop a lot of play. I believe that's why Gunnar makes no slop pins.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 02:10 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

VVDs are much stronger. Stronger material and more of it everywhere. Much less slop than axial unis and rebuildable if you need to. They are a perfect match for the Vanquish lockers as well. You do get a bit less steering angle than axial unis. That's the only drawback I've seen but to be honest, didn't really notice a difference on the trail.

Last edited by SCREAMER; 10-25-2015 at 02:12 PM.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 03:30 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I decided to go with lockers. To many post about the vvd's breaking. Plus I have the scale knuckles with the 48 degree stops. Might as well make use of them.
Old 10-25-2015, 04:36 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Where are all the VVD breakage posts? VP VVDs or just that style in general? All I ever see is dog bone and axial Unis and CVDs breaking.

Edit: I just read through Maslin's build thread and even when breaking a housing, the axial uni still held. I would consider his brand of durability testing to be pretty thorough and much more demanding than anything I've seen. I'd say if unis are lasting in his rig they're probably a sound choice. I will say if you had VP VVDs laying next to Axial unis and got to hold them and install and test them, you'd more than likely go with VVDs. Every part of them is better built with tighter tolerances and all but devoid of any slop.

Last edited by SCREAMER; 10-25-2015 at 05:41 PM.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:02 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

From what I have read when both brands of shafts were used within the steering angle they were designed for the vvds are stronger. The problem is the vvd does not have as much steering throw as the universal and many people broke the vvds due to not setting EPA or having a hard stop to limit travel.

As far as lockers go I love the idea of a set screw clamping style but the screws next to the ring gear don't have enough engagement against the surface of the tang and they can be hard to get set up correctly.
spookyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:54 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I ran the Axial Uni's in my Wraith with an FI spool and liked the combo a lot. Great turning radius and though i was only running a HH 13T brushed motor they got hammered pretty good and held up just fine.

I installed the VP VVD 5mm in my 15lb 1/6 scale with a GF ARB and will not run anything else in the future. Zero i mean Zero slop and more turning radius than my Wraith at 125 EPA. I often stuff the tires and get close to stalling the servo due it being harder to find the right line in such a long and heavy rig but i have no problems powering out if need be. I know the VVD's won't breaking anytime soon. I would be real hesitant to use Axial Uni's in this rig.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:38 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

What I find funny is VP built scale hubs with a steering stop. But the stop is farther than their own axles will support. So the designed and built a set that must use axial unis to take advantage of the steering stop. Their website stats the stop is set at 48 degrees and the VVD's max is 45. Lol wtf vp?
Old 10-26-2015, 09:58 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68_f100 View Post
What I find funny is VP built scale hubs with a steering stop. But the stop is farther than their own axles will support. So the designed and built a set that must use axial unis to take advantage of the steering stop. Their website stats the stop is set at 48 degrees and the VVD's max is 45. Lol wtf vp?
It's listed as 50º in some places.

Regardless, the page for the scale knuckles says
Quote:
Using Vanquish scale chubs and knuckles adds a bumpstop at 48 degrees to protect CVDs or VVDs from damage
It seems they're confident you won't hurt the VVDs with the scale knuckles and Cs.
HahnsB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:05 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbscx10 View Post
I ran the Axial Uni's in my Wraith with an FI spool and liked the combo a lot. Great turning radius and though i was only running a HH 13T brushed motor they got hammered pretty good and held up just fine.

I installed the VP VVD 5mm in my 15lb 1/6 scale with a GF ARB and will not run anything else in the future. Zero i mean Zero slop and more turning radius than my Wraith at 125 EPA. I often stuff the tires and get close to stalling the servo due it being harder to find the right line in such a long and heavy rig but i have no problems powering out if need be. I know the VVD's won't breaking anytime soon. I would be real hesitant to use Axial Uni's in this rig.
Mike,
This was done by the Gladiator, LOL! I favor VP also but the uni's do turn a bit tighter. Snapping a VP stub shaft at the threads was probably a fluke.I keep a set of both in the tool box.
Attached Images

Norton is offline   Reply With Quote

are VP VVD's worth it? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Vanquish VVD's CKRC Hobbies CKRC Hobbies 0 11-04-2014 02:28 PM
Vanquish VVD's sharkbait Axial Wraith 2 07-26-2012 09:25 AM