Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Anyone else having problems with Hitec 7950th servo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 11:13 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Anyone else having problems with Hitec 7950th servo

Well I built a wraith kit and installed a 7950th servo on it with a cc bec set at 6 volts it lasted all of an hour and quit, it never got hot or anything, just quit. So I contacted Hitec and got a warranty replacement. While waiting I contacted Castle Creations for a wiring diagram to make sure, 100%, that I had it wired right. Well it was. New servo comes in, get it installed. About 35-40 minutes into a run. This one shoots the tires to the right and locks up. Contact Hitec again. Talk to them and tell them what happened and the person on the phone says that they have mine I sent in, right there. Well he disassembled it while we were on the phone and says all looks fine but for some weird reason it just want operate. Well now he sends me number 3. I get it installed about an hour ago and set my end points to 75%, take it over to my test course and after about 10 minutes, I see smoke. I unplug the battery quickly and look the rig over. What do you know another servo problem. This time there is a hole melted through the plastic back, (melted from the inside). My bec is set to 7.4 volts, wired properly. - to - , + to + , and yellow from servo to receiver. What gives. Am I the only person having this problem. Can someone suggest another GOOD QUALITY high torque servo. 3 Hitec servos after only 3 runs, freaking blows.
KustomKreeper8606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2013, 12:24 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Anyone else having problems with Hitec 7950th servo

Did you pull the red wire that goes from the ESC to the receiver?
http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...ec_wiring.html
Norcal_GIT_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:33 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

-to-, +to+, an "just" the yellow to the rx? I always run the negative to the rx as well... I only run hitec .. Can't suggest any better. Hitec must of had a bad run our something. This is the second thread started in the last couple of days goin over the same issues..
I recently just had one start cutting out instead of zeroing itself. Worked fine with pressure on the horn. Get the wheels turned an high centered, or something, an it cut out till the tires hit an put pressure back on the horn. Goin straight on the ground, it would cut out. Sitting in air it would not attempt to zero. Put my finger in the horn our turn the wheels by hand an it held strong.. It just cut out without pressure on it.. That's the worst that's happen to any of mine(8-10 of them)
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:57 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I've had 3 in the past month to break the center pin and destroy ALL of the gears in the case, plus break the middle case half. I've got two with shot motors.
Hitec has been very good to me so far.
So I'll keep running the 4 that still work until customer service tells me to hit the door.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Twisted Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:07 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

My bet is there's something else going on and if you buy a different servo the same thing will happen.

I would double check your BEC voltage and/or that wiring set up
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:31 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

i run nothing but hitec and not one issue...but i also have the ground and signal wire going to the rx not just the signal wire...
briang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

The ground going back to the receiver just insures the reciever is grounded. I just think they had a bad batch. The last one ( the one that melted) was the first time that one even got hot.
KustomKreeper8606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I am having a problem with my Hitec 7955TG servo. I ran it for maybe 10 minutes on my speed Wraith. It was on loose gravel and flat, no crawling. I was spinning donuts and mostly straight blasts.

The servo just up and died!! I had no steering. I get my Wraith home, take servo out and was about to package and ship to Hitec. I thought let me check one more time to see if it will work....I connect it back up and wham!! It works like nothing even happened!! WTH!!

I wonder why this happens?

Anyone have a clue?

Thanks.
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Do the servos have some sort of thermal protection? I run the 7950TH in my Wraith with no issues.
KillerBlackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I wonder that myself!! I am not sure what is in there but my 7955TG is a hit and miss for working. It ticks me off. I asked Hitec if there is a thermal shut down in this servo, no reply yet. I hope to hear more from them tomorrow. It is very frustrating. Thankfully both times my servo quit now I was coming to a stop anyway. I was lucky twice....I have yet to try again now that it appears to be working again or what I think is working...lol

I don't know why mine would go into shut down because there is no issues with binding or EPAs and it isn't hot here in BC, Canada yet. The servo is in the front and gets lots of air so it really shouldn't be hot. :(
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:34 PM   #11

About not being able to re-center, I realize how old this thread is, but to my understanding, they might come with the back of the case on too tight and need loosened 1/4 to 1/2 turn. That may be all it needed to re-center properly, it actually suggests that in the paper work. I just recently purchased mine, so things may have changed since.

Last edited by ReconFred; 01-15-2016 at 07:35 PM. Reason: removed quote
ReconFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:47 PM   #12

This servo, the HS 7950TH, can be programmed for thermal protection(overload protection). Factory it is set to 'off'. You need either a Hitec Servo Programmer(HFP-20) or Hitec PC Link programmer(HPP-21). I hear once this is set, people go from having issues to having none. Hope this helps.

Last edited by ReconFred; 01-15-2016 at 07:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-15-2016, 07:52 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconFred View Post
About not being able to re-center, I realize how old this thread is, but to my understanding, they might come with the back of the case on too tight and need loosened 1/4 to 1/2 turn. That may be all it needed to re-center properly, it actually suggests that in the paper work. I just recently purchased mine, so things may have changed since.
Does it oscillate trying to find center? This is usually caused by a contaminated potentiometer. You can open it up and try blowing it out with compressed air. That has worked a time or two for me but I've had to send my 7950 back twice to have the pot replaced. Hitec servos are well respected, here and in general, but I've not had any luck with them and just keep them as spares now.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:56 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I was lent a hitec 7955tg servo during a trail run recently and the servo will just stop working when centered. Unplug the battery, everything works. The servo did this 3x on the run.
CrawlCrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 08:02 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlCrest View Post
I was lent a hitec 7955tg servo during a trail run recently and the servo will just stop working when centered. Unplug the battery, everything works. The servo did this 3x on the run.
Yeah, that sounds familiar too. IIRC, that behavior preceded the centering issue which prompted me to send it back to Hitec.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 01:04 AM   #16

I just blew it out, shes centers now, thank you. I'll add this is my first Hitec servo, and I have yet to put it to the rocks for waiting on other parts. I will definitely test and watch for this behavior as soon as I can push her, thanks.

Last edited by ReconFred; 01-16-2016 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Chose to subscribe

Anyone else having problems with Hitec 7950th servo - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hitec HS-7950TH Servo Knarly Nerd Electronics 12 04-04-2012 11:23 AM
anybody running hitec 7950th servo? driftin90 Electronics 1 09-19-2009 03:23 PM
when is the Hitec servo coming out (HS-7950TH) HRT5SLCFD Electronics 14 03-07-2009 02:59 PM