Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: need new wheels...opinions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2016, 08:23 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: need new wheels...opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander_0_1 View Post
I'd go with 1.25", though I've never seen a tire on a 1.50 wheel...I didn't even know there were tires that wide.
You've never seen a tire mounted on a stock axial 2.2" wheel? They are all 1 1/2" wide.

For the price I love my crawler innovations glue on wheels. Simple and tough.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2016, 08:26 AM   #22
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldat Vaillant View Post

aluminum wheels from Locked-Up are $103 a set with your choice of outer ring design. their wheels need hardware and hubs and will put the total price around $140.
Those are optional. You can run without the scale hardware and you can get with/without SLW.

I went without SLW which saved me quite a bit as I didn't need it.
FaustKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:25 AM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaustKnight View Post
Those are optional. You can run without the scale hardware and you can get with/without SLW.

I went without SLW which saved me quite a bit as I didn't need it.
actually the outer rings could be optional as well, if you have these items from other wheels, four wheels from Locked-Up would be just $76. but the wheels from SSD and China both include outer rings, 12mm hex hubs and the necessary hardware. for the comparison to fair the I felt the Locked-Up price had to include everything to complete the package
Soldat Vaillant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:14 AM   #24
Rock Stacker

Quote:
actually the outer rings could be optional as well, if you have these items from other wheels, four wheels from Locked-Up would be just $76. but the wheels from SSD and China both include outer rings, 12mm hex hubs and the necessary hardware. for the comparison to fair the I felt the Locked-Up price had to include everything to complete the package
Understandably, without the scale hardware it's still a complete package though as the scale hardware does nothing at all.

With the sale they have on some wheel styles you can get a full set of functional beadlocks (non SLW) for $80 by choosing the cap screws instead of scale hex. Without the sale the same setup is 102.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:10 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
You've never seen a tire mounted on a stock axial 2.2" wheel? They are all 1 1/2" wide.

For the price I love my crawler innovations glue on wheels. Simple and tough.
No, the first and only stock 2.2 scale RC tires that I have came with my bomber.

I wanted to try the C.I glue ons, but it just seems so permanent...
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 03:40 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Use good foam and there is never a reason to separate the tires from the wheels. Before CI foams I changed tires all the time. Now it's simply a matter of getting cheap wheels and foams and adding some glue.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:24 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaustKnight View Post
Understandably, without the scale hardware it's still a complete package though as the scale hardware does nothing at all.
specials, sale prices, store credit, coupons, stolen cash, hacked credit cards, forged travelers checks, counterfeit money orders, extortion, bribery, sexual favors and other unique situations are not applicable for this price comparison

the scale hardware was never part of the equation because it would bump the price up. we'll call the included scale bolts a bonus on the SSD wheels. the Locked-Up wheels ($76) and front rings ($27) don't include any hardware for the front rings. so you'll need something to install them, whether it's scale bolts or just socket screws ($8.97 for 90 screws). same for the hubs ($27.98 ), you'll at least need socket screws ($2.80) to attach them

76 + 27 + 8.97 + 27.98 + 2.80 = $142.75 then add $6.25 shipping (included with the $66 China wheels) for a grand total of $149. you can save a couple of dollars on the package deal even if the wheels and rings are not on sale, mine were not. getting bulk hardware from another source and using Axial plastic hubs could save a little as well

my Locked-Up TrailReady set will eventuality run much more with the wideners ($32.98 ) and whatever I decide to do with the hubs and hardware, but my individual needs are not a factor either. just comparing the everyday price for getting all three brands of wheels mounted to tires and installed
Old 02-18-2016, 08:18 PM   #28
Rock Stacker

Quote:
specials, sale prices, store credit, coupons, stolen cash, hacked credit cards, forged travelers checks, counterfeit money orders, extortion, bribery, sexual favors and other unique situations are not applicable for this price comparison

the scale hardware was never part of the equation because it would bump the price up. we'll call the included scale bolts a bonus on the SSD wheels. the Locked-Up wheels ($76) and front rings ($27) don't include any hardware for the front rings. so you'll need something to install them, whether it's scale bolts or just socket screws ($8.97 for 90 screws). same for the hubs ($27.98 ), you'll at least need socket screws ($2.80) to attach them

76 + 27 + 8.97 + 27.98 + 2.80 = $142.75 then add $6.25 shipping (included with the $66 China wheels) for a grand total of $149.

Or you can use their complete beadlock package, choose the BL (Standard Hex) option, select all the *not* on sale things, and be out the door for 102 + shipping. Which is the price I included for the not on sale set in my previous post.

If you want SLW style wheels you can get them for $132.97 + shipping including the hubs and screws.

Also since the original point of this post was someone looking wheels right now, sale prices do apply, though it does appear they might have already picked some
Old 02-19-2016, 12:45 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

like I said earlier, "about $140" to get Locked-Up wheels that are similar to those from China. "similar" means 4 machined aluminum wheels, 4 inner rings, 4 outer rings, 4 black SLW hubs and all the necessary hardware. we could add, remove or substitute any option we want to run the price up or down, but the wheels would no longer be the same as those from SSD and China

so by all means, change the options and/or take advantage of the sale to get wheels you like with features you want for a price that suits your budget

need new wheels...opinions? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Opinions on the Proline Titus wheels? Voteban Tires and Wheels 14 03-01-2010 11:15 PM
Mayhem Comp Wheels opinions..... Pappy Tires and Wheels 14 06-03-2009 12:53 AM
Any one using "mayhem" machined aluminum wheels ? opinions? tholl146 Tires and Wheels 40 03-17-2009 11:36 PM