Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: need new wheels...opinions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2016, 06:48 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default need new wheels...opinions?

time to upgrade the wheels on my rig, i had axial rockster beadlocks. they served well but i broke one and stripped a hex on another. looking at SSD, and some gear head options. Im running a set of VP scale knuckle and C-hubs. Tires are PB RB2's with crawler innovation single stage foams. should i run a wider wheel, 1.5"+ or a skinny around 1" wide? pics would be appreciated as well, Thanks guys!
Cmarcan167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2016, 07:36 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: need new wheels...opinions?

I just picked up a set of LockedUp wheels (early V-Day from the wife) and the quality is pretty insane, price is nice too.

They're a 1" wheel and I'm running TSL SX XLs on them, wasn't hard to mount em up and it's a pretty wide tire.
FaustKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:00 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

If you have the cash (or a nice wife) the LURC stuff is awesome. I have the Trail Ready slw's on my Yeti with all their scale hardware. Mounting them is super easy. I also have a couple sets of the SSD steelies, 1.9 and 2.2. Theyre a good option for the money.
DeviledEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:22 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeviledEggs View Post
If you have the cash (or a nice wife) the LURC stuff is awesome. I have the Trail Ready slw's on my Yeti with all their scale hardware. Mounting them is super easy. I also have a couple sets of the SSD steelies, 1.9 and 2.2. Theyre a good option for the money.
They were still cheaper than the Vanquish ones I wanted haha.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:29 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I have some SSD wheels (10 Hole 2.2's) and a set of Gearhead (Slot Mag 2.2's)

After figuring out that the scale bolts and subsequent ring are not for mounting the bead (ignorance) they mounted fine. However the narrower wheels don't work as well with some of the wider tires, I took billinvic's advice and used my 10 hole's for my U4 tires and ripsaws and the gearhead wheels run the IROC's. The 10 holes were nice and cheap, no issues with the scale bolts as I locktited them off the bat. And the tires look fine, and not rounded, the ripsaws are kinda like that no matter what wheel I mount them on. I think the SSD's look the best and most scale. But you cannot go wrong with the gearhead wheels, they are awesome, zero problems with anything, went together like butter. I also prefer the two stage foams on my wheels

Last edited by Thechewmaster; 02-11-2016 at 10:32 AM.
Thechewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:39 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

SSD has some new wheels coming out that are 1.3 in wide, they look pretty nice.

SSD 2.2" Rock Racer Beadlock Wheels (Black)
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:45 AM   #7
RCC Addict

MotoWorx is another option
ussprinceton2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:49 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

nice, I don't really like the color of the ring, but do like the recessed scale bolts. very cool, best of both worlds
Old 02-11-2016, 12:19 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I'd go with 1.25", though I've never seen a tire on a 1.50 wheel...I didn't even know there were tires that wide.

I have.
PB RB II's on VP KMC enduros w/ CFM true cans.
Voodoo U4s on VP method 105s w/ CFM true cans.

LURC is another one of my choices, you can change the wheel width with rim spacers.

True cans are hard to come by, you have to keep checking out the CFM website.
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:49 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmarcan167 View Post
time to upgrade the wheels on my rig, i had axial rockster beadlocks. they served well but i broke one and stripped a hex on another. looking at SSD, and some gear head options. Im running a set of VP scale knuckle and C-hubs. Tires are PB RB2's with crawler innovation single stage foams. should i run a wider wheel, 1.5"+ or a skinny around 1" wide? pics would be appreciated as well, Thanks guys!
Locked-Up has several 30.5mm (1.2") wheels and their wideners add another 7.25mm (.285") for a total width of 1.485". this is a good width for 2" wide tires, plus the wider wheels make tires a little easier to mount. SSD also has a new 1.3" wide wheel on the way

with the Pit Bull Rock Beast II a 1.5" or wider wheel will look fine, it will actually look like a properly matched wheel on the wide tires. stock Axial Wraith wheels are 1.4" to 1.7" wide and they look like a wide tire/wheel combo should look with 2" wide Trepador and Ripsaw

a 2" wide tire on a 1" wide wheel looks like an off-road rookie mistake, just like narrow tires on excessively wide wheels. but some like the overly concaved tire look you get with wide tires and narrow wheels
Soldat Vaillant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:06 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the info guys! I think I'm gonna go with the gearhead delrin wheels with aluminum beadlocks. Any feedback on those?
Cmarcan167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:23 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I don't have personal experience with Gear Head wheels, but they have several I like and those that own Gear Head speak highly of them. a lot of their 2.2 wheels are also 1.54" wide
Old 02-12-2016, 11:27 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

How about these. Good looking wheel and a great price.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Scott410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:10 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmarcan167 View Post
Thanks for the info guys! I think I'm gonna go with the gearhead delrin wheels with aluminum beadlocks. Any feedback on those?
I went away from delrin because it's pretty easy to strip out the holes.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:04 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I have the Chinese " Vanquish Ripoffs" and I love them. I run them with RB 2s. Mount up great,hold a bead and cheap. With SLW hubs.
redneckwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:42 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

^^^ Link

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Scott410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:48 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

My bad.

Last edited by oldpunk; 02-17-2016 at 06:16 PM. Reason: eBay link removed *sorry*
oldpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 05:51 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

IMO, I'd much rather support quality businesses. Look at the work and service SSD is giving here on the forum. Choose how you want to spend your money, up to you. But my money goes to the companies who I trust and are loyal to me fixing the issues that need fixing. For instance, I'd much rather purchase from AsiaTees and get some boom racing goodies because they are active on the site, support local groups etc. And I still probably won't, but at least I know my cheaper parts will come with some service. Over companies who have no phone number and never answer their emails, and leave you with broken parts and a hole in your pocket. Just my 2 cents on the subject

Last edited by Thechewmaster; 02-17-2016 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:56 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

66 dollars is about what you would pay for a set of SSD wheels also. No contest, and they take a month to arrive.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:53 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thechewmaster View Post
IMO, I'd much rather
whoever paid the 2¢ for that sanctimonious "stuff" got robbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thechewmaster View Post
66 dollars is about what you would pay for a set of SSD wheels also. and they take a month to arrive.
you shouldn't distort the facts to try and validate your opinion, $66 is not close to what you pay for aluminum SSD wheels and transit time is not nearly a month. if you want to compare the $70 stamped steel SSD's you'll have to wait for China to clone them for about $35-45 a set

complete machined aluminum 2.2" wheels (with rings, hubs & hardware) from SSD are $110 for a set of four, great wheels at a good price. one of the best values in the price vs. complete package vs. quality vs. support argument. aluminum wheels from Locked-Up are $103 a set with your choice of outer ring design. their wheels need hardware and hubs and will put the total price around $140. they're also great wheels at a good price, they have a few styles to choose from and wheel wideners are available for $33 a set

less than two weeks has been the average real world transit time from China to most locations in the US and there's expedited shipping for an additional fee available from some sellers if you ask. my 1.9" China wheels arrived here in 13 days with standard shipping. others got theirs in less than 10 days, hardly the 30-31 days you're quoting

the quality of the China wheels is much better than you and a few others will ever give them credit for. machine work and fit are better than Integy and Boom Racing, just not quite as nice as Locked-Up, SSD and other $100+ wheels. the finish could be better, it's not bad and still better than Integy and Boom Racing. The wheel face and beadlock ring are flawless, but there are a couple of blemishes/scratches on the back side of each wheel. Locked-Up and SSD are machined cleaner and have a nicer finish for their increased price

need new wheels...opinions? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Opinions on the Proline Titus wheels? Voteban Tires and Wheels 14 03-01-2010 11:15 PM
Mayhem Comp Wheels opinions..... Pappy Tires and Wheels 14 06-03-2009 12:53 AM
Any one using "mayhem" machined aluminum wheels ? opinions? tholl146 Tires and Wheels 40 03-17-2009 11:36 PM