Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Axial Wraith upgrades?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2017, 03:18 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Axial Wraith upgrades?

Hey guys had my wraith for a little over a month now and did a couple little things to it like tires (PitBull Rock Beast II that the guy gave me), beadlock wheels, metal gears, and a holmes hobbies 21t motor. Just wondering what I should really look at doing next because I know I have gone out of the order of what many people would recommend.

Thanks for the input

Ty
RatBoy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2017, 03:56 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Axial Wraith upgrades?

For me, knuckles and C-hubs first. If you climb hills at all, take a tumble, they are the first to go. Look at Dlux or Vanquish for top quality and durability. After that, look into your drivetrain. Lockers, HD gears, drivelines and universals.
NWHavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 04:05 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Put your battery tray in the front, tune your shocks for more flex locating them to gain angle and add weight to the front wheels (around +150grams per wheel). That should be enough to have an outstanding crawler.. if u do it right ofcourse

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
D440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 04:08 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Do you still have the stock plastic suspension and steering links? Those were pretty high on my priority list from early on.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 04:13 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Dinky, or DLux servo mount. And upgrades to steering for tighter turning radius.
dieselmudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 04:32 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I moved battery up front with a werty tray, put tall shocks on and a lowering kit for flex, RC Bros wheel weights and a much bigger servo, in waiting on another Promodeler 420, my Savox is weak. I won't run 3s without MIPs and front driveshafts..... now I'm getting there, but all that showed the need for CI foams, they are coming.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:06 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I started with a new Spawn kit a little over a month ago. Internally the truck is stock with a 55t crawler motor. About 2 weeks ago I switched to 3S and have been very happy with it. I don't abuse the truck, but I don't baby it either. So far no breakage. I am planning to add steel tranny gears and some metal axle parts in the near future. I am planning to leave the factory plastic driveshafts alone as a fuse because they are cheap, easy to replace in the field, and clearly plenty strong for my purposes. Basically I just don't trust the plastic gears and axle housings.
Myndefuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:51 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I've done a lot to mine. But if I were to start again...

1. Servo and servo horn. I use a Savox 1230 and 1283. Both are awesome. I beat the sh!t out of mine. Vanquish servo horn. Its thicker than Axial and Hot Racing.

2. Linkages. Either Incision or Vanquish, to include tie rod and drag link. Worth the $$.

3. Axial Universal axles for the front. I busted tye stock dog bone set up on stock motor. My universals have been 100% even after new motor and ESC and runs on 3S.

4. MIP drive shafts. I did this as a precautionary, but yeah...

5. Aluminum knuckes, hubs, and lockers. Vanquish style. Also Vanquish brass bushings.

I would upgrade the motor and ESC as you see fit. You can do the droop thing as well, but its not a reliability upgrade IMHO. That said, i did it and like it. Battery upgrade can be done as well. I made my own battery tray. It worked. Now I have a Wertymade, but I did that for the servo winch mount.

Take it as just my opinion.
slowmethinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:42 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

I guess I forgot some things. I have added an aluminum servo horn to my Tactic X47 (I think). My brother got a 5-pack for $11 on amazon after breaking the stock plastic and he gave me 2. I left the factory plastic steering linkages in place as a safety measure. Works for me. I've added the 1lb. black axial springs and my suspension sits static at about 3/4 compressed. I mostly crawl with this truck and that seems to be working pretty well. Other things I've done are really just aesthetic. Fast-back mod using factory lower links, narrowed the front hood using factory lower links, and custom stainless steel body panels all the way around. Pretty happy with it, but I'd really like to get the Wraith RTR interior and the metal components in my previous post.
Myndefuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:45 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatBoy D View Post
Hey guys had my wraith for a little over a month now and did a couple little things to it like tires (PitBull Rock Beast II that the guy gave me), beadlock wheels, metal gears, and a holmes hobbies 21t motor. Just wondering what I should really look at doing next because I know I have gone out of the order of what many people would recommend.

Thanks for the input

Ty
RatBoy,

I am on a budget myself. So I chose to replace the components that are weak from the factory, but also effect performance.
My recommendation, based on my build, would be steering horn and links and lower suspension links front and rear. You didn't mention a budget, so I'll stop there, because you also didn't mention those components.
Components that I have made a mistake in buying cheap, and buying several more before learning my lesson would be servo and motor. I also jumped in head first and bought aftermarket aluminum axles. Make good choices on these the first time, and they will last you. As far as the axles, it is my opinion not to put money in to the factory plastic units, spend the money and buy decent aftermarket ones. I went with SSD Diamond axles front and rear, but I would also recommend VP's AR60's or Curries.

Check out more of my build. Link in my sig block. Hope this helps. Keep us updated.
Attached Images

dondraper25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:00 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

I got the Spawn kit and the first things I ordered are beef tubes to get some weight down low and Ti steering links because the stock ones are a joke. Steel gears are probably next on the list, from there I'll upgrade as it breaks.
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:39 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

I guess I did forget a couple things like my gmade shocks and aluminum steering links and also an upgraded servo. Also have metal transmission gears.
RatBoy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:03 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Basically, you have all the upgrades but came to ask what to upgrade.
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:05 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninomaniac View Post
Basically, you have all the upgrades but came to ask what to upgrade.

Pretty much hahaha. A good general statement is that, anything that moves constantly, upgrade to metal immediately.
NWHavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:18 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Just keep upgrading till the only thing stock is your center skid plate. Thats what I did not at ounce though. There isn't one upgrade part that I have that I would not have bought.
PileDriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Axial Wraith upgrades? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial wraith upgrades Frivera08 Axial Wraith 18 10-19-2014 10:52 AM