Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wraith project w/?'s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2017, 08:33 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Wraith project w/?'s

1st wraith build and it looks like I've got some options. Picked up some axles from Sczcerba here, with incision lockers and VP stage 1. Added some new avid bearings and new housings (and more vanquish goodies), here's the front-

For the back, I could use the matching axle or the SSD that came with the roller (thanks MattTheGenus) I'm working with- thoughts?

For the tranny I have a Hot racing all metal gear for the SCX10 as an option, but I'm leaning towards picking up a SSD two speed instead, so I don't have to cut the skid and figure out a longer driveshaft (currently has MIPs)

Motor/esc wise I have an Orion R10 and either a 17.5 or 13.5t. Also have a 35t brushed which combined with a hobbywing 1080 and the two speed seems like it would work well. I like the idea of being able to use a nimh stick pack, because I can keep it fully charged and they are easy to deal with while camping. Is this a dumb idea?

For the servo, I picked up a barely used hobbico cs170 (hitec 5955}, also have this Solar, but I think I might turn it into a winch despite its better specs on paper.

More pics to come as I start throwing this together.

Last edited by notarex; 07-12-2017 at 04:20 AM.
notarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2017, 09:28 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Wraith project w/?'s

For the Rear axle, the stock Axial one would offer better clearance with the Off-Center Diff, But the SSD looks more scale, and I like the fact that both axle shafts are the same length with the centered diff (carry less spares).
So whichever floats your boat!

For the tranny, can't you take the metal gears from the HR and put that in the Wraith tranny? For the largest gear (forget what it's called), is the HR one the one-piece?

Not sure on the other questions. I only ran Lipos and Brushless.
*Old* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:42 AM   #3
RCC Addict

35t definitely won't need 2 speed, especially on a NIMH pack, it'll already be slow, low gear will only make it even slower.

I'd be using the HR trans as is & sourcing a SuperShafty rear shaft, that should be 1/2" longer which is about how much shorter an SCX trans is than a Wraith.
https://supershafty.com/collections/...-duty-cvd-bone
Could also try a MIP 09169 (same as Yeti/Bomber) but shaft may be a little too long & need trimming.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:08 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I'm going to use the stock wraith tranny for now, I think that exclusive length MIP shaft is perfect for the HR tranny- thanks! I've got it on order and will swap both in once received.

I don't think the gear swap will work, I'd still be stuck with the long shaft plastic bottom gear- and I'd like to sell the unused tranny to recoup some of the skyrocketing costs on this thing .

I decided to go with a mild brushless, 17.5t - I should be able to run NiMH on a whim, but throw a 3S in when I want a bit more speed.

I also decided to go with the SSD rear axle, it just looks so awesome. I'll hang on to the AR60 though in case it grenades .

Got it rolling tonight, I'd like to use this LR series front clip - it's all that's left of a body that's been on my Sawback and monsterized SCTE.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:37 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I have that axle in my Wraith. I has held up very well so far.
Rumpelhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 04:28 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

First run went great, drivetrain is nice and smooth. 17.5 ran great on nimh, nice boost w/ lipo though. Added gmade transition shocks set up with full droop and some 55mm tower braces (links from yeah racing). I'm not sure why I resisted getting a wraith for so long, it's a ton of fun!

Last edited by notarex; 08-03-2017 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:43 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Gratuitous new wheel shot! These are integy (yeah I know) but were $14 a pair on Amazon. They are really nice and went together smooth. Only flaw seems to be the gunmetal anodizing is light.

Got the all metal tranny in and the medium length super shafty MIP bone was the perfect solution, thanks!
Old 08-13-2017, 03:49 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by notarex View Post
Gratuitous new wheel shot! These are integy (yeah I know) but were $14 a pair on Amazon. They are really nice and went together smooth. Only flaw seems to be the gunmetal anodizing is light.

Got the all metal tranny in and the medium length super shafty MIP bone was the perfect solution, thanks!

I love the LR body !
And $14. Is a steal !! They look great!

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:01 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Agreed.
$14 a pair.....I'd give them a try.
They look cool from here.
MRCrackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:31 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I'm not a integy fan either but they do look good. If I didn't just pick up another set of faultlines I'd be on amazon ordering them now.
Farabomb is offline   Reply With Quote

Wraith project w/?'s - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Wraith Project AXLE 69 Axial Wraith 1 03-23-2014 04:28 AM
My Project wraith TakeNotes Axial Wraith 15 09-13-2013 06:35 PM