Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Black Two: Rebirth Of TK-422

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2018, 05:46 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Black Two: Rebirth Of TK-422

This is "TK-422", the last iteration of my Wraith build.

As I mentioned my Black One: Rebirth Of The EXOTrooper thread my priortities shifted elsewhere and my RC activities have been dormant for 18 - 24 months. Having decided to start the franchise reboot with the EXO I moved on to "TK-422". This isn't a comprehensive build thread but a collection of photos and notes to show you the current status and look at some of work I did.

Before moving on I'd like to say a huge thank you to plethora of people who's builds and knowledge have inspired me since I joined. The RCcrawler community really is the dogs bollocks - look it up, it not as bad as it sounds Anyway......

A short time ago in a hobby room not so far away......

I started by stripping things down doing basic maintainence, screws, oils, wiring etc. I also changed the rear fastback to give me some axtra space for the spare tyre. Although I wasn't quite sure how I'd mount it at the time.

I also started to add some scale accesories like the highlift, and the window nets.

Great tip for scale nets is to use food packaging nets. This orange net camer around a big bag of ginger from the chinese supermarket. I then used folded electriciasns tape to add stiffness and make borders. the top hangs inside the roof cage usinf benbt paperclips with hooked ends. The nirrors are a combination of axial mounts, small headlights and shock collars with small mirrors from one of my wifes art projects inserted.

Here you can see the folding tyre rack made from part of the rear end of an old EXO chassis. It fastens to fastback braces using a couple of body pins that hold the rack down. I Mades straps for the tyres using bent paperclips for buckles etc. Boot laces glue and some heat shrink tubing. radiator and battery are the usual axial parts.

The fuel cell is actually a 4 channel wireless remote relay set up with 2 channels to run the winch (in/out) and 2 channels for the main lights and the roof lights. Rather than paying stupid money (£35.00/$49)for something like the RC4WD 4 Channel Wireless Remote Light Bar Controller I got one from ebay fopr £6.00 (~$8.00). Looks like this:

Here's a few glamour shots with the new wheels and tyres. I have no idea if they will be any good but I liked the scale look, and was on a budget. They are from the FTX Mauler if anyone is interested. I really dont hold out much hope of them being good performers but we shall see.

Is it me or does Han look just a little smug in that last one?

I'll look to capture some running footage soon, just gotta get rid of this stinking cold thats had me house bound for nearly a week now. Under the hood I'm running a Hobbywing 3656 Senorsed motor at 3800KV and a Hobbywing SCT Pro Sensored ESC, gearbox and drivetrain are upgraded using parts from GPM (I just can't justify Vanquish prices here in the UK). Shocks are Gmade XD's front, and Piggy back XD's rear. I run on 2S and 3S.

Geek of the week goes to the person who can spot what the center console is.
tachikoma1373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2018, 02:44 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Black Two: Rebirth Of TK-422

Nice improvisation, unfortunately I can't see the console
Look forward to seeing some footage.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Crawler Cads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:37 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Properly brilliant Wraith!! The idea of shoelaces for tow straps is new to me. I just discovered this genre of the Hobby less than 2 years ago, so lots of things are new to me!
Using FTX Tyres is definitely something I hadn't heard of before. If it works, you've discovered something cool yet cheap.... If not, than that Motor should give you enough wheelspeed to fly through!!!

And now I'll be looking harder when I go to the Grocery Store as well.
PoorManRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:03 AM   #4

It looks great, but I also loved it in the Storm Trooper theme.

Are those knock-off tires?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:31 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
It looks great, but I also loved it in the Storm Trooper theme.

Are those knock-off tires?
Thanks Jato. The tyres are cheap yes, but not knock off. They come from the FTX Mauler which is an entry level brand here in the UK, I think they may be sold under another name in the US but here it is on bigsquid - FTX Mauler RTR Rock Crawler « Big Squid RC – RC Car and Truck News, Reviews, Videos, and More!
tachikoma1373 is offline   Reply With Quote

Black Two: Rebirth Of TK-422 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Black One: Rebirth Of The EXOTrooper tachikoma1373 Non Crawler RC's 3 01-30-2018 07:16 AM
Rebirth for RC old raft guide Newbie General 8 01-04-2014 10:56 AM
Rebirth of The R1 Steve Hipsley G-Made Crawlers 7 02-25-2012 04:31 PM