Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Black One: Rebirth Of The EXOTrooper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2018, 03:04 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Black One: Rebirth Of The EXOTrooper

Built from the kit (which I won in a competition) a couple of years ago this was "EXOTrooper" upon completion.

All my RC's tend to have a Star Wars theme. I tried doing another theme (Tron) when I got my Wraith but even that turned into a Star Wars build eventualy. This is "TK-422". My Yeti, "The Wookie" can also be seen in the background.

My priortities shifted elsewhere and my RC activities have been dormant for 18 - 24 months. I decided to reboot the franchise so to speak with a makeover and decided I'd start with the EXO. The inspiration for this one is Poe Dameron's Black T-70 X-Wing, "Black One". "TK-422" has also been getting the reboot treatment as will "The Wookie" eventually. I'll link to the threads when I post them. (EDIT: Black Two: Rebirth Of TK-422))

A short time ago in a hobby room not so far away......

I did managed to source a new body from a place in Canada (since EoL EXO parts are like rocking horse shit here in the UK) but decided to keep it for another day and see what I could do with the existing damaged panels.

I started by stripping them and doing some repairs. The usual shoe-goo and plaster tape approach. Then I rubbed evrything down with wet & dry inside and out to give the primer something to bond to. After the primer came a coat of matt dark grey across everything inside and out.

After they dark grey was dry I did the matt black on the hood and the matt orange. My masking tape (and masking skills) let me down in a couple of places but nothing major. It's not a shelf queen and it's gonna get battered so no biggie.

After the Matt orange came the matt light grey

Part Two Soon ........

Last edited by tachikoma1373; 01-30-2018 at 05:51 PM.
tachikoma1373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2018, 03:31 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Black One: Rebirth Of The EXOTrooper

Part Two ........

For the rear I'm using the orange and grey Boomerang™ Type E Rock Crawler Shocks 105mm. For the front I'm using Boomerang™ Type PB Race Ready Aluminum Double Suspension Adjustable Piggyback Shocks / 95MM in Black. All via Asiatees. (image below)

I got a Poe driver figure from ebay, Star Wars Black Series. I split him apart and am only using the top in situ.

I can't not have BB8 in there.

And here it is:

I also redid/serviced the electrics and redid the light wiring. The power plant is a Hobbywing EZRUN 3500KV coupled with a WP-SC8 and will run on 2S or 3S.

I know the EXO has its haters but for me its as seminal to my RC life as my first Tamiya Sand Rover. Hope you like, although lets be honest we all have our own styles and requirements from our rigs For those interested I'll be posting the "TK-422" rebuild in the Wraith thread later.
tachikoma1373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:48 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachikoma1373 View Post
....A short time ago in a hobby room not so far away...... .
Great line!

Build looks good, themed vehicles are always fun!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:16 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Love it!!!

Subscribed.
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black one, exo

Black One: Rebirth Of The EXOTrooper - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project 1.9 FJ: The Rebirth Desert Rc 1.9 Scale Rigs 93 12-17-2015 08:25 PM
Rebirth for RC old raft guide Newbie General 8 01-04-2014 10:56 AM
Rebirth of The R1 Steve Hipsley G-Made Crawlers 7 02-25-2012 04:31 PM
rebirth of the bruiser Soviet911 (bruiser) General Crawlers 19 03-02-2006 06:32 PM