Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Venom Racing Wraith Skid - Shapeways

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2018, 05:24 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Venom Racing Wraith Skid - Shapeways

Just received my Venom Racing low profile Wraith skid from ShapeWays. The product looks sweet and is definitely lower profile than the OE Skid. However, my Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro 3500kv will not clear the RIGHT REAR link mount.

I really don't want to hack on this skid to clearance and compromise the structural integrity as there is not a lot of material there. I thought about spacing the motor/trans off the skid with some aluminum spacers as well, but it'll need to be just under 1/4" worth of spacing. This presents 2 problems: 1.) It's going to push the motor and trans up in to the interior. 2.) I really don't want the weight of the motor and trans up any higher in the vehicle.

Wondering if any one else here has purchased one of these skids, encountered this problem, and come up with a solution?
Attached Images

mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2018, 05:46 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Venom Racing Wraith Skid - Shapeways

That looks similar to the one I got from Thingverse.

Is that motor the Standard or XL? I tried running a 550 can with my Thingverse low profile skid and it wasn’t happening. I ended up going with a regular can 540.

3D printed tummy tuck skid?

Last edited by Brake Weight; 05-01-2018 at 06:00 AM.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:14 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Venom Racing Wraith Skid - Shapeways

It's the standard PP 3500kv can. Totally bummed. Looks like it's just not going to fit without serious mods. Worse, it definitely will not fit the Rock Bouncer project I'm doing either cause I went with the HH PP R 540-L 4100kv. IDK - I'm sure I'll find a use for it at some point. I do have a spare Wraith cage laying around. Another project possibly?
Old 05-01-2018, 06:22 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I printed it up twice, different materials, the short 540 can will clear, so the PullerPro stubby will be the way to go. I didn’t use this on my build, as the link setup is got REVO ends, they are thinner than stock, I didn’t want to start making or buy more links, the stock skid was there already.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:41 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Well, I said F it and decided to clearance the sucker. That part of the deal worked out well and it seems to be plenty strong to handle what I removed.

But, this whole little skid upgrade has become quite the huge pain in the a--.

Once I got the clearance I needed for the motor, I bolted the trans and motor in place and slipped the unit in to the rig. Low and behold, it doesn't clear the underside of the interior without pushing it up a whole bunch in the center and causing the seats to lean out of the roll cage. So, I spaced the interior up off the chassis about 3/16". Everything drops in now, but it still pushes on the underside of the interior a bit, but not noticeably when looking at the interior.

That done, I moved on to getting my upper links bolted up. I didn't like the tolerances so I added some aluminum spacers to take up the slop where they mate up to the skid. That went well and eliminated all slop.

Then, I started mating up the lowers. Running the lower link screw in, I broke the tip of my 1.5mm off in the head. It's fully in the skid, but not enough peaking out where it meets the lower link for me to back it back out. I have no idea how i'm going to get that F'er out of there either. The tool end snapped off in the screw will be way to hard to drill. Dead in the water for now.
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2018, 02:06 PM   #6

I don't understand why some 3D print vendors emblazon their parts with a massive logo, usually in the worst area. All those letters are catch points out on the trail.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 04:52 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Agreed. Marketing I suppose.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:39 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Man, having that tool break that way has caused major suckage.... I feel for ya!

Not really sure what I would try in your situation.

I know this is a bit late, but get MIP tools!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 03:34 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

So, I may be saved. I had sent a message to the designer on Shapeways about the skid not fitting a standard size can. He said it was his screw up and that he was surprised Shapeways still had the original file. (I had shapeways print it as well). Anyway, he's going to contact Shapeways and see if they will print me another one based off of the good / working design. Keeping my fingers crossed that this works out. I'll keep y'all in the loop.

Venom Racing Wraith Skid - Shapeways - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skid plate for venom? mayhem Venom Creeper 3 03-25-2010 07:27 AM
Custom Skid plate for venom and Venom DIG Unit!!! crawlercop Venom Creeper 3 01-13-2010 07:13 PM