Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: HELP! Axle questions/ Diff questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2017, 06:18 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default HELP! Axle questions/ Diff questions

what are you guys running for gears in your diffs? i got some rc4wd spider gears and there diff case and they dont seem to be jiving in my ssd axle? i also have a axial ring and pinion gear set.... not sure what i'm failing to understand here.....any help would be greatly appreciated

Mike
DirtyChevy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2017, 06:27 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default HELP! Axle questions/ Diff questions

Axial ring and pinion, HD flavor. I like UD gears in the rear, stock ratio up front. I'm running SSD diamonds

Spider gears are for a differential , but not axial. A diff cup is wider than most lockers. The Yeti does run a front diff, as it's IFS

Hang up and Drive

Last edited by mikemcE; 07-11-2017 at 06:40 AM.
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:43 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: HELP! Axle questions/ Diff questions

so your running locker front and rear? what if you wanted to run an "open diff" ive heard the hpi blitz gears work but what diff cup would you use?
Old 07-11-2017, 07:27 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

My spawn came with diff cups front and rear and have this cheasy lunch box locker stuffed inside the axial diff gears should fit inside that cup with out issue but why
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:30 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I did a quick google search and found this. Not sure if it will work for your axle set up...

Open front diff

Parts needed:
AX30390 - Axial Differential Gear Set
AX30170 - Axial Shaft 3x22
AXA1162 - Axial O-Ring 5x1mm

*****These parts are from an Axial Scorpion but will work in a FACTORY Axial Wraith axle. Again, not sure about the SSD...
Attached Images

slowmethinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:39 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
My spawn came with diff cups front and rear and have this cheasy lunch box locker stuffed inside the axial diff gears should fit inside that cup with out issue but why

well i'm working on some fluid to put in the diff to make a "limited slip" and i'm trying to get the pieces to work. other wise id just lock them both and move on.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:40 AM   #7
SSD
RCC Addict

Axial diff fits fine in SSD axles, we have tested it. So it may be the RC4WD parts.
Remove any shims and gaskets, if you are using them and try again.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:41 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

slowmethinks

thanks for that see i don't have those two little o-rings that are on the spider gear set... but ive been told that HPI blitz spider gear set is what everyone is using as they are steel... but i need to find out if those little o-rings are required.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:12 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD View Post
Axial diff fits fine in SSD axles, we have tested it. So it may be the RC4WD parts.
Remove any shims and gaskets, if you are using them and try again.

Iwas thinking of trying Hot Racing diff cups and the HPI gears... ive heard rc4wd parts lately havent been of great quality...

when i slide the axle shafts in and try to install the outer bearing retainers the axle shaft seems to need to go in the diff further because the bearing isn't flush with the end of the axle tube which is why i don't think something is right.

i talked with Chris over at SSD about some other things via email the other day and thought of gettign ahold of him so thank you for the reply!
Old 07-11-2017, 10:33 AM   #10
SSD
RCC Addict

HPI gears might also cause fitting issues so it may be better to use Axial parts first and then change parts out one at a time until you find the the problem.

The bearings dont need to be exactly flush, the end caps have some tolerance in the mounting holes to take up slack so you may still be able to fit the end caps.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:45 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyChevy45 View Post
Iwas thinking of trying Hot Racing diff cups and the HPI gears... ive heard rc4wd parts lately havent been of great quality...

when i slide the axle shafts in and try to install the outer bearing retainers the axle shaft seems to need to go in the diff further because the bearing isn't flush with the end of the axle tube which is why i don't think something is right.

i talked with Chris over at SSD about some other things via email the other day and thought of gettign ahold of him so thank you for the reply!
Don't go HPI, go with the Axials. They're stronger.
I was warned after the fact, but ran with the HPIs for a bit and sure enough, the gears fell apart. Swapped in the Axials and so far so good.

These are the HPIs. The left gear is missing some teeth and the right gear is all dented up.

For the diff "fluid", depending on how "locked" you want it, the Racers Edge Diff Putty does a good job of "locking". It doesn't open much on high speed cornering though.
*Old* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:52 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

understood, but the bearing caps stuck out a little to far for that tolerence. when i tried to put the screws in they wanted to go in and crossthread as they were at an angle, so i think what i will do is grab axial diff cups and some gears and go from there.

another question for you with the dif installed and cover installed on the axle should the pinion move in and out? i noticed the axial stock ones have a place where you can put an "e" clip but the HD version does not.

Quote:
HPI gears might also cause fitting issues so it may be better to use Axial parts first and then change parts out one at a time until you find the the problem.

The bearings dont need to be exactly flush, the end caps have some tolerance in the mounting holes to take up slack so you may still be able to fit the end caps.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:56 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Old* View Post
Don't go HPI, go with the Axials. They're stronger.
I was warned after the fact, but ran with the HPIs for a bit and sure enough, the gears fell apart. Swapped in the Axials and so far so good.

These are the HPIs. The left gear is missing some teeth and the right gear is all dented up.

For the diff "fluid", depending on how "locked" you want it, the Racers Edge Diff Putty does a good job of "locking". It doesn't open much on high speed cornering though.

thanks for the info! everything ive read is that hpi were stronger, so i guess ill order some factory Axial gears and diff cups and go from there and see if thats whats going on. if so i can still return some of the un-opened rc4wd parts....

coming from the relm of being a diesel tech i have some thicker oils/additives i wanted to try and make a nice thick diff "fluid" for that but would be nice to get something like the putty to know its characteristics..

thanks for the info!

Mike
Old 07-11-2017, 11:28 AM   #14
SSD
RCC Addict

Dont worry about e-clips on the pinion shaft. When you install the driveshaft it should stop any in/out movement. If it doesn't then put a shim before the driveshaft to take up any slack.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:55 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Dont worry about e-clips on the pinion shaft. When you install the driveshaft it should stop any in/out movement. If it doesn't then put a shim before the driveshaft to take up any slack.

okay i figured but wasn't sure. there is enough movement to kind of bind the ring and pinion up so i wanted to make sure.

when i get home ill take another look at everything and see whats going on with this diff set.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:27 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

just an update:

with no help from the support people over at Rc4wd i managed to get the diff working decent enough to keep together and see how it runs. it took alot of head scratching and measuring different thickness o-rings and shims i had available and coming up with a combo that seemed to suffice. the end caps on the axle seemed a little tight but managed to get them on and i forsee them loosening up after everything wears in. filled it with my special lubrificant and it seems to be working great so far inside the not so sealed diff cup.

thanks for everyones help
Old 07-20-2017, 07:23 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

update:

i got some HR diff cups and with the RC4WD spider gear set the fit is MUCH better, waiting on some o-rings now for inside the diff cup to put it all together but just from a trial test fit everything seems to be working smoothly as it should. ill update when i am able to get everything back in the axles. moral of the story is you may be able to use the rc4wd gears as an alternative for HPI and factory axial ones.... just keeping you guys in the loop!

Mike
Old 08-06-2020, 09:17 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmethinks View Post
I did a quick google search and found this. Not sure if it will work for your axle set up...

Open front diff

Parts needed:
AX30390 - Axial Differential Gear Set
AX30170 - Axial Shaft 3x22
AXA1162 - Axial O-Ring 5x1mm

*****These parts are from an Axial Scorpion but will work in a FACTORY Axial Wraith axle. Again, not sure about the SSD...
Thanks for the picture. I can't praise this enough. I made a lifted SCX10 2.2 basher with this. I've considered using it in the Wraith as well. The rig handles very well. But you have to jump over obstacles, not crawl :'D

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
tjohanne is offline   Reply With Quote

HELP! Axle questions/ Diff questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HELP! Axle/Diff questions (AR60) DirtyChevy45 Mega/Monster Trucks 8 07-30-2018 02:23 AM
Diff questions T_Tank Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 2 01-06-2014 05:48 PM
Diff Questions Gambolified Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 4 12-10-2011 03:32 PM
WK Diff Gearing questions. Timmahh HPI Wheely King 21 04-01-2009 05:51 PM
E/T Maxx Diff. Questions Lankenstein Traxxas Crawlers 4 05-18-2006 08:03 AM