Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Electronics for XR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Electronics for XR

Ok guys, I realize this is probably better in the electronics section, if it has to be moved fine. And yes I did do alot of reading there before posting this here. I decided to post it here because its directly related to the XR and since many will be buying or thinking about buying this rig I figured I would hit the most knowledgeable eyes here and serve others like myself.

So the XR is a MOA and you need 2 motors. Its the esc that confuses me. Why run two esc instead of something like the novak m2 thats coming out? Further how do you hook up two escs? What do you do about dig? I know the Punk Dig exists but are there other methods of doing this, other options.

Thanks.
DSNF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2010, 02:02 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

There are countless threads on this for other MOA setups that have been around for a while. The XR10 is not unique in electronics setup with one exception. If you plan on running the future cutting break you will need a 4 channel+ radio I believe.

The two most common setups that I see are as follows.

2 ESC's
2 ESC's using a 4 channel+ radio (Futaba 4pk (wheel type) and 6ex (twin stick type) for example)

This method gives you the most control and mixing options. You connect both ESC's to your RX, one channel is a slave off the master channel. In my case 3 = mstr and 2 = slave. They are wired to be powered from one battery.

1 ESC w/ Dig Switch
1 ESC with a mechanical or Punk RC switch on a 3rd channel that has a 3 position switch on the transmitter.

I believe the Novak you speak of would eliminate the need for a dig switch in this application.

Novak also makes "The Dig" which in my opinion is only an advantage if you wanted to run brushless motors with a 3 chanel radio such as a DX3R.

Last edited by dpdsurf; 08-09-2010 at 02:05 PM.
dpdsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:18 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNF1 View Post
For some reason I am having a mental block with the 2 Escs and how that works, anything you want to share on that and using it with the 4PK would be welcome. (clearly I need to do more searching in the electronics section as well).
Dal ESC connection
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2010, 02:13 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Thanks for posting that, a diagram is so much easier to understand!
DSNF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:45 PM   #5

If i use only one ESC i will need also a 4-Channel radio to use the Rear Cutting Brakes in the future? Or is my DX3R enough?
downhiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:49 PM   #6
Im Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by downhiller View Post
If i use only one ESC i will need also a 4-Channel radio to use the Rear Cutting Brakes in the future? Or is my DX3R enough?
That depends on what functions you want to have. If you dont want to use front/rear dig then you can use the 3rd channel for cutting brakes. If you want both you will need 4 channels.

1: Steering
2: Throttle
3: F/R Dig
4: Cutting Brakes
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:51 PM   #7

Thanks for the quick reply

And what’s about the Turns. I will use 1x Holmes ESC and 2x Holmes Handwound 55T.Is this enough or I have to buy 45T?
Old 08-12-2010, 11:58 PM   #8
Im Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by downhiller View Post
Thanks for the quick reply

And what’s about the Turns. I will use 1x Holmes ESC and 2x Holmes Handwound 55T.Is this enough or I have to buy 45T?
I ran 55T's at AWCC in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZX8Cs4izCs

I was very happy with the 55's on 3S. Im running 45T's now. Depends on how much low end control you want and how much wheelspeed you feel you need.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:03 AM   #9

Ok, but ... if you were very happy with 55T, why you change now to 45T?
Old 08-13-2010, 01:54 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Just cause your happy with C cups doesn't mean you don't want to try DDs! Heh...

55t don't make much power at all, so I am guessing more power....

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:18 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpdsurf View Post
If you plan on running the future cutting break you will need a 4 channel+ radio I believe.

1 ESC w/ Dig Switch
1 ESC with a mechanical or Punk RC switch on a 3rd channel that has a 3 position switch on the transmitter.

I believe the Novak you speak of would eliminate the need for a dig switch in this application.

Novak also makes "The Dig" which in my opinion is only an advantage if you wanted to run brushless motors with a 3 chanel radio such as a DX3R.
I am considering making an adapter (on the receiver side) so that the new Traxxas TQ4 Link radio can handle an XR10. This would be an easy path to using both dig and cutting brakes with an affordable off-the-shelf radio. Please vote here so I can judge if it would be worth making one: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264496
wantAsummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:35 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

What would be the advantage of 2 esc's with a Novak "The Dig" vs 1 esc with a punk dig? I would be using fxr's and 45t Team Brood motors if that helps.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:42 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post
What would be the advantage of 2 esc's with a Novak "The Dig" vs 1 esc with a punk dig? I would be using fxr's and 45t Team Brood motors if that helps.
The only reason for going with "the dig" that I can see is if you wanted to run brushless motors. Punk dig and single ESC is the best setup if you're going with a 3 ch radio like a DX3R and brushed motors.

Last edited by dpdsurf; 08-28-2010 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:12 PM   #14
Relaxed !

I will be going with 2x fxr's and a 7950th on st and 2x 35t brood's for me!
hav'nt decided wether or not on my stix or 4pk!
as dpd said mixing and control is a must and the things you can do will be endless!
sococrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:16 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Well since I don't have a 4PK yet mine will have to be run off one esc and a dig unit for a while with my DX3R. I was wondering about the Novak M2 dig esc's and the RC4WD Rocker dig units? Any guys out there with any experience with these? I know the M2 isn't out yet but is anyone running the Rocker with good results?
BGGruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:59 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpdsurf View Post
The only reason for going with "the dig" that I can see is if you wanted to run brushless motors. Punk dig and single ESC is the best setup if you're going with a 3 ch radio like a DX3R and brushed motors.
Actually, I think duals and the dig is more dependable than a punk plus ya may get less clod stall. But it really is a toss up. Either way ya won't have the control of sticks or the 4pk.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:04 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGGruff View Post
Well since I don't have a 4PK yet mine will have to be run off one esc and a dig unit for a while with my DX3R. I was wondering about the Novak M2 dig esc's and the RC4WD Rocker dig units? Any guys out there with any experience with these? I know the M2 isn't out yet but is anyone running the Rocker with good results?
If ya plan on a 4pk I'd run dual esc and the dig just so it will easy to switch over. The M2 doesn't exist so it is all mute. The rocker does not short the motor so basically freewheels in dig.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:05 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie View Post
Actually, I think duals and the dig is more dependable than a punk plus ya may get less clod stall. But it really is a toss up. Either way ya won't have the control of sticks or the 4pk.
Thats kinda what I was thinking.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote