Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Rear Axle Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2010, 06:26 PM   #1

Default Rear Axle Questions

I assembled my XR10 last night and after assembly with no electronics I noticed the rear axle has more resistance of rotation than the front and the gears whine much louder.
I disassembled and reassembled both axles twice to double check everything, still the same.

Any one have any input. This is my first kit build, it has been very simple, I dont think I missed anything. I have read of guys having rear axles failing and do not want to have this issue, if anyone has some suggestions let me know. I am going to tear it appart tonight and do some more investigating.

Thanks for reading

Lewis
whiteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Well, judging by the reports on this forum the gears in the axles, particularly the rear, have a VERY high failure rate. Many people are reporting broken teeth after their first pack. I'm about to wire mine up and take it for it's first run - which I'm dreading.

There doesn't appear to be a work around. At first people were blaming it on user error for using the wrong screws during assembly but it looks like we're way past that being the cause now. My guess is it's either a design flaw on Axial's part or a manufacturing flaw.

All I can say is good luck and start ordering spares before they sell out. Axial hasn't said a word on this issue yet (other than warning people not to use the wrong screws during installation) but I'm sure they will soon before people stop buying their product.
mdowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Don't dread it, go have fun with it and see what happens!

To the op, mine is a bit more tight in the rear too. I think it's normal
dragrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:42 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Built mine today and noticed the same thing. Front axle spins free and easily and the rear is quite a bit harder to spin. I'm gonna run it and see how it holds up.......
-w-designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdowney View Post
Well, judging by the reports on this forum the gears in the axles, particularly the rear, have a VERY high failure rate. Many people are reporting broken teeth after their first pack. I'm about to wire mine up and take it for it's first run - which I'm dreading.

There doesn't appear to be a work around. At first people were blaming it on user error for using the wrong screws during assembly but it looks like we're way past that being the cause now. My guess is it's either a design flaw on Axial's part or a manufacturing flaw.

All I can say is good luck and start ordering spares before they sell out. Axial hasn't said a word on this issue yet (other than warning people not to use the wrong screws during installation) but I'm sure they will soon before people stop buying their product.
I also noticed that the rear seems like it had a little more drag. But after
mounting up my 45T I cant tell a differance. Pluss the rig is still very
smooth and quite when you run it.

Any way you look at it people are going to break gears...They are a cheap
cast iron...They are not built bulit proof out of the box...No crawler is.
Understanding this try driving the rig with a little finesse untill the steel
upgrades come out. When you get bound up....Dig out...
fa1rch1ld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:32 PM   #6

Thanks for the reply's. I just wanted to hear opinions from others.
I will run it till she blows and then upgrade when the parts are available. I have to say though even if my rear breaks some gears I still love this thing it is awesome, cant wait to get my electronics in it.
whiteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:08 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa1rch1ld View Post
...They are not built bulit proof out of the box...No crawler is.
Bullies are, sorry

...but the XR is the best out of the box Crawler til now...

Greetings Frank
Dr.Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:28 PM   #8
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdowney View Post

I thought the rear gear failures have been directly related to assembling the case wrong by placing one slightly longer screw in the wrong place. It causes the bearing to fail which leads to the gear failure.

In both Brandon's thread, and Badger's thread, they point out the issue quuite well.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:05 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Put mine on the rocks for the first time today and it worked flawlessly both front and rear axles are butter smooth. I did notice that there was some side to side play on the rear axles so I shimed them to take up the play. I have a total of 2 batts through it now and zero problems. The first batt was a test for side hilling climbs digs front and rear and some binding. Took 40 mins of abuse before the lipo cut off hit. I am using s 3s 35c 1100mah batt. The second batt was at a comp tonight and I put it through hell and back a few times. Still zero problems. I also built my buddys axles for his XR10 as well and he put his through even more hell then mine and the XR10 just kept saying "IS THAT ALL YOU GOT!!!) Zero problems for him too. I will get some vids up in the next day or so.
Robbs2001tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:00 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

From what I've read, it also appears that a couple of the gears are directional. This was probably the main reason some of the gears failed.
Menchifus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:36 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menchifus View Post
From what I've read, it also appears that a couple of the gears are directional. This was probably the main reason some of the gears failed.
You can only install the spool gears one way other wise the axles would not seat correctly.
Robbs2001tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:04 PM   #12

The groove for the pin on AX30555 is deeper on the opposite side of the arrow. This was mentioned before by someone in this forum. When I mounted the gear with the arrow facing towards the motor plate as per manual it was sitting a fraction higher on the shaft and when mounting the gearbox cover it was pressing against the bearing in the cover causing a bit of binding making the gearbox feel tighter as the front. Turned the gear around, arrow facing towards plastic cover, and it has just a fraction of play making the gearbox real smooth. My front was the opposite. Had way too much play, so I left the gear as per manual for the front and it still has about 0.8mm play before it hits the bearing in the plastic cover.
Bakkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:43 PM   #13
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakkie View Post
The groove for the pin on AX30555 is deeper on the opposite side of the arrow. This was mentioned before by someone in this forum.
you can thank Christian (egressor) for that.

the main cause of the rear gear failure is the use of the wrong screws when assembling the case.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:06 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Talking

I just got back from running my xr10 held up great for the first 2 packs I bound it up many times no problems on the third pack the truck was hopping on a ledge and when the rear got sudden traction I heard the gear brake. So I think as long as watch and don't let it hop to much it should hold up pretty good
DTWISTED is offline   Reply With Quote