Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Leaking shock caps - Al Replacements?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Leaking shock caps - Al Replacements?

This weekends comp was pretty hard on my shocks.
I suppose the full speed reverse off a 3 foot ledge (twice) had something to do with it.
Anyway, two of my shocks are leaking from the caps, severely.

I know the Axial caps from the 72-103mm competition shocks will work, but I can't find them anywhere.

Any ideas or suggestions to what has worked? I really don't want to buy another full set of shocks just for 4 caps and bladders.
bigstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2010, 04:30 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Are the bladers mest up?
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:38 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

One of mine leaked. When I opened it up the bladder was sideways i nthe cap. One edge was torn. I probably overtightened it. I set it back up properly, only I added a single wrap of teflon tape to the threads, then screwed on the cap, jsut good and snug. Another 10 packs or so and no issues so far.

Of course I am still running the original axial bearings on over 30 1300 3S packs through my rig. So my luck may be better than most...so far.
mxracer33x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxracer33x View Post
One of mine leaked. When I opened it up the bladder was sideways i nthe cap. One edge was torn. I probably overtightened it. I set it back up properly, only I added a single wrap of teflon tape to the threads, then screwed on the cap, jsut good and snug. Another 10 packs or so and no issues so far.

Of course I am still running the original axial bearings on over 30 1300 3S packs through my rig. So my luck may be better than most...so far.
LOL countdown to bearing failure..... mine lasted until last friday.

On the shocks, if you tighten the cap too much, the bladder pops out of the cap and into the shock.

mine were perfect, then i switched oil and springs and couldnt stop them from leaking.

after i took them apart and the bladders were in all the leaking shocks, i was a lillt less Neanderthal with the caps when i screwed them down.

havent leaked since.
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Checked my bladders and they were fine. I just think the big drop it took jarred them enough to push the oil past the seal. I didn't have them real tight, I had the same problem of the bladder going in the shock when I HE-MAN'd them on the first time. I figured the aluminum ones would be the way to go. Just having a hard time finding the caps. Anyone know of another cap that would fit or any where that has them?
Old 10-11-2010, 05:06 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxracer33x View Post

I was going to say teflon tape will do the job. You beat me to it.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:15 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Does anyone have a part number for AL shock caps? I may get a XR10 in the future and want to replace the caps before I put the shocks together.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:18 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I don't know the number off the top of my head but Axial has some coming out. Check in the manual on the page with the shock assembly.

I don't really like the stock shock bladders. I think they are to soft. I had some TC5 touring car shock bladders so I tried them. Slightly different shape to them the they are the same size. So far they are holding up better for me.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:26 PM   #9
RCC Addict

the shock baldders suck, i ripped them out and put o-rings.........no leaks
Deezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:38 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Teflon tape and lots of green slime and no leaks...so far.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:44 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBrog View Post
Does anyone have a part number for AL shock caps? I may get a XR10 in the future and want to replace the caps before I put the shocks together.
AX30110 is the part number in the instruction for the aluminum shock tops. They are my bottoms, I flipped my shocks. Keep'n the wieght down low.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:47 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepkid View Post
AX30110 is the part number in the instruction for the aluminum shock tops. They are my bottoms, I flipped my shocks. Keep'n the wieght down low.
The part# in the manual is wrong.

It's AX30111. CKRC has them, TCS is out of stock

Al caps will fix the problem. Someone else on here was having the same problem when falling from a drop, and aluminum caps stopped it.

I've been running these shocks for over a year on 2 different rigs and have never had that problem. Thats probably because they come w/ al shock caps when you buy them seperately
Rig Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:36 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I noticed the shock bladder will not seat right if you over tighten them. It will twist inside the body. Just snug them up barely. When they are new, I just blow in the other open end before I fill the shock from the bottom. If it holds pressure then I know that they are seated right. I just built 8 shocks over the past 2 nights and none have leaked. I hve put one set threw 200 cycles just to make sure. Not everything has to be really tight. Well, maybe sometimes it's a good thing... lol ;)
the3kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:01 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Ahaha, I was there when you did that. That was awesome.

"Why is there shock oil on the windshield? Oh..."
eddiepfund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:37 PM   #15
RCC Addict

It was pretty cool that it landed like a cat, twice. Having to fix shock leaks was worth the price of the show.

I checked CKRC and they are sold out. Seems no one has them unless you order a complete shock kit.

If I can't find caps, looks like it is time to order another set of Losi shocks.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:50 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

What do you guys think about drilling a little hole in the cap like the Al ones? Off topic sorry I just know when I screw the cap on i get pressure in the shock.
losichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Rocker View Post
The part# in the manual is wrong.

It's AX30111. CKRC has them, TCS is out of stock

Al caps will fix the problem. Someone else on here was having the same problem when falling from a drop, and aluminum caps stopped it.

I've been running these shocks for over a year on 2 different rigs and have never had that problem. Thats probably because they come w/ al shock caps when you buy them seperately
Good catch, I just looked at that and it is wrong. My bad. Sorry.