Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: May have discovered another reason why final gears are breaking...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 11:47 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default May have discovered another reason why final gears are breaking...

Please bare with me if this has already been discussed... I did not see any posts after a quick search.

I had a gear break on me within the first 45 seconds running my XR10. When I took the front axle apart, I found something that may be obvious to most, but got passed me during my build.

Note the directions for bearing AXA1213. It shows that you need to put the bearing on to the rod.

This is where I put the bearing based upon my interpretation of the instructions. Note that the bearing fits in this position, and is supported by enough plastic (although you cant tell with my poor lighting, look at the 3rd pic for a better understanding) for me to not think twice about it being in the wrong position when building.

After inspecting the gear housing for several minutes trying to find the root cause of my failure, I realized the bearing can also fits in another location.

Once I figured out I had the bearing in the wrong area, I looked over the directions to see how I missed this. Unfortunately, there is no illustration in the manual that clearly shows how that bearing is supposed to be housed. It may be possible that a few casual builders like myself are making the same mistake.

So for those of you who are breaking gears, where did you place the AXA1213 bearing?

Last edited by eddiepfund; 10-09-2010 at 11:55 PM.
eddiepfund is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2010, 11:55 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Also, did anyone do anything about the loose fit of the flanged bearings or did they just put them in the motor plate with the outer races loose and spinning in the plate? I used sleeve retainer on the flanged bearings when I built mine and let it dry before I did anything else.
TruckerBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:03 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckerBrad View Post
Also, did anyone do anything about the loose fit of the flanged bearings or did they just put them in the motor plate with the outer races loose and spinning in the plate? I used sleeve retainer on the flanged bearings when I built mine and let it dry before I did anything else.
I haven't seen anybody else have that bearing in that spot yet lol but hey it happens!! Also don't use the stock bearings just time before they blow out and you have the parts all in your trans case!!

I run http://www.vanquishproducts.com/xr10...eaing-k10.html These are bronze bushings and are suppose to hold together and handle the stress a lot better!! They come with all seven for just the trans case including the one that u misplaced!! I broke a transfer gear because of bearing failure!! But just ordered another one and the vp bushings and good to go again!!

I don't know if axial will replace those gears because of where the bearing was but hey send them a email and give them a call!! Hope this helps bud!!
junior ax10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:29 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckerBrad View Post

Easy 9mm Mod.
losichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:12 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I actually built my front axle with that bearing in the same place and it all seems to work until the case is completely closed up and the gears won't turn as freely as you would think. I had to completely disassemble and scratch my head a hundred times before I figured that bearing goes somewhere else. Should have been more clear in the directions imo.

If I had to guess more people than are willing to admit probably got that bearing in the wrong place
Chargerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:35 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Did you guys spin the wheels by hand before you actually ran it to see if there was any binding in the axles?
BFGcrawler418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:43 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFGcrawler418 View Post
Did you guys spin the wheels by hand before you actually ran it to see if there was any binding in the axles?
Yes, but this was my first crawler, I did not know what to feel for exactly.

I was able to turn it by hand, and the mesh sounded fine when spinning, so I never through twice about it. I figured if something was wrong, I would not have been able to close the housing, or be able to turn it at all.
eddiepfund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:46 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

I think it's clearer about where the bearing goes than it is about the direction of the chassis plates. I thought it was clearly marked as to where that bearing was supposed to go.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:37 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerguy View Post
I actually built my front axle with that bearing in the same place and it all seems to work until the case is completely closed up and the gears won't turn as freely as you would think. I had to completely disassemble and scratch my head a hundred times before I figured that bearing goes somewhere else. Should have been more clear in the directions imo.

If I had to guess more people than are willing to admit probably got that bearing in the wrong place
I'll admit it, I was one of those people. Did the exact thing you did and took it apart to look at it all again. This was my first build too, and I tried to follow the directions as exactly as I could. Not having done this before, I could have used a more exact diagram on that part. But if Axial were to make more diagrams like that, the manual would be 10x thicker
TEAM DEBEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:53 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAM DEBEAD View Post
I'll admit it, I was one of those people. Did the exact thing you did and took it apart to look at it all again. This was my first build too, and I tried to follow the directions as exactly as I could. Not having done this before, I could have used a more exact diagram on that part. But if Axial were to make more diagrams like that, the manual would be 10x thicker
Something like this could just be inserted as an addendum. Maybe this thread will will help future owners and if any who have already built theres are unsure this may help.

I drew a little sketch to help illustrate where the bearing should go:

Chargerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:00 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

They way i looked at that plastic part of the case it has a slot in there and plus why would they extend the rod of it wasn't gonna get used lol so just slow down guys it could have been a ez mistake!! But just put the bearing at the end of the shaft in the grove!! ;)
junior ax10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:01 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Very nice chargerguyI took mine apart just to put to vp bushings in. I have not run it yet, waiting on other electronic to show up and sure enough the rear bearing I put in wrong. First MOA rig cant wait to crawl this beast.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:08 PM   #13

I had a question about the bronze bushing

Would that wear out due to the fact that there is friction from the shaft?
Darrell262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:18 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Vp says the the bushing are self lubricating and have a break-in pieriod. I greased mine up with red-n-tacky, I love that stuff. I do believe they wont wear out to quick, just by the feel of them. So smooth.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:44 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiepfund View Post
Please bare with me if this has already been discussed... I did not see any posts after a quick search.

I had a gear break on me within the first 45 seconds running my XR10. When I took the front axle apart, I found something that may be obvious to most, but got passed me during my build.

Note the directions for bearing AXA1213. It shows that you need to put the bearing on to the rod.

This is where I put the bearing based upon my interpretation of the instructions. Note that the bearing fits in this position, and is supported by enough plastic (although you cant tell with my poor lighting, look at the 3rd pic for a better understanding) for me to not think twice about it being in the wrong position when building.

After inspecting the gear housing for several minutes trying to find the root cause of my failure, I realized the bearing can also fits in another location.

Once I figured out I had the bearing in the wrong area, I looked over the directions to see how I missed this. Unfortunately, there is no illustration in the manual that clearly shows how that bearing is supposed to be housed. It may be possible that a few casual builders like myself are making the same mistake.

So for those of you who are breaking gears, where did you place the AXA1213 bearing?

I will man up and admit my error. I actually completely bypassed the bearing all together. Ran a full comp with out it in either front or back transmissions. Wheels moved no major issues. I did brake a rear final and one of the gears in the front is missing part of a tooth. If I didn't switch to VP bushings I wouldn't have found out until it blew up. Ran it today and it worked flawlessly. Axle does spin more freely now. I did put it in correctly when I reallized it. In my defense it was 2am and I was rushing to get it ready to run at a comp.

Last edited by RCROCIN'; 10-10-2010 at 07:47 PM.
RCROCIN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:20 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell262 View Post
I had a question about the bronze bushing

Would that wear out due to the fact that there is friction from the shaft?

This would be the first time I ever heard a bushing being a upgrade.

More friction, faster wear, I say heck yes! Stronger? Maybe. But is it worth it in the end, probly not.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:19 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

wow.................................... and for the bushing thing think way back to the old ford trucks that had the 4 speed t18 tranny they use a brass bushing in the flywheel and that thing spend way fast and over a long period of time
moto261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:06 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto261 View Post
wow.................................... and for the bushing thing think way back to the old ford trucks that had the 4 speed t18 tranny they use a brass bushing in the flywheel and that thing spend way fast and over a long period of time
Im sure in your example which is a differant application (its a pilot), the tolerance allowed is much, much greater than a bearing on a shaft where gear mesh is involved.

Im not saying im right. What I am saying is, for me, I would find a stronger bearing for myself instead of a bushing.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 03:05 PM   #19

Default just wait a little longer

i have the axial ax10 as well as the scx10 and five other cars and trucks and yes i want the xr10 but not till they get it rite.
rocksmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:48 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCROCIN' View Post
I will man up and admit my error. I actually completely bypassed the bearing all together. Ran a full comp with out it in either front or back transmissions. Wheels moved no major issues. I did brake a rear final and one of the gears in the front is missing part of a tooth. If I didn't switch to VP bushings I wouldn't have found out until it blew up. Ran it today and it worked flawlessly. Axle does spin more freely now. I did put it in correctly when I reallized it. In my defense it was 2am and I was rushing to get it ready to run at a comp.
Didn't you notice that you had extra bearings at the end of the build?

Jared
Bigend777str is offline   Reply With Quote