Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Bec abuse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2010, 06:24 AM   #1

Default Bec abuse

Well I built my xr10. installed a castle bec and went on my first trip up the rock. (creek)

Flipped the car a few times and got the bec wet. The castle quit working. I blew into it and it fired back up again(got wet)

I am not a fan of the cc bec as I have had nothing but problems with em.

So anyhow I removed the castle bec for now. (I water proofed it if I need it again)

I recieved my 7980 servo (man that thing is huge) threw it in.

I am doing a no no thing but it seems to work just fine. around the house

I am running both my fxr tekin esc's into the reciever with the red wire attached on each esc, and I am running my hitec 7980 servo to the reciever.

And I have great steering and no glitching. Temps on the esc's are at 3 (out of 6) driving it around the house climbing walls and steering on the rug.

I am going to try it this weekend on the rock again. I am tihnking I am going to be just fine. I guess I'll find out on sunday
Darrell262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2010, 08:44 AM   #2
TN State Champ 11,12,13

Bind it up and the problems will start
Pdog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:13 AM   #3
RCC Addict

im w/ pdog on this one
remember, ur running 2 motors and an ultra torque servo. you wont be able to maintain the amount of voltage you need for such a high output servo
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:23 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeXt559 View Post
im w/ pdog on this one
remember, ur running 2 motors and an ultra torque servo. you wont be able to maintain the amount of voltage you need for such a high output servo
x3. When you start putting real world forces on it things change fast. Just be sure to keep a close eye on things unless you have tons of disposable income, electronics fires suck. I have lost $1500 worth of brushless converted Mugen buggy do to an esc fire. It was just too far away (about 300 yards of sand) for my fat ass to get to it quick enough when it went up.
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:48 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I am suprised you are not having issues with the BEC's on the FXR's fighting.
I know a guy that nuked his recevier when he had the red wire on both speed controllers plugged in.
I am running both of my S9157 futaba servos on CC BEC's (at 6v) and no problems so far.
I know when I was running the standard BEC on the FXR in my scaler, with two servos and 4 wheel steering, I could get the FXR to shut down on thermal overload because of the servos and lots of motor. Since I put in the CC BEC, it hasn't shut down once.
bigstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:53 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I have fried a couple CC BEC's too. But I still think they kick total ass and would not run anything else.

i too got one wet.

I also kept breaking a lead off on side or the other, frying it, or just having it not work.

I have sent every single one back to castle and got new ones.

I have also started to cut the leads to the specific length i need. This prevents me from bending wires back and forth when i am fixing or adjusting stuff on the rig.
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:31 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Just posted this in another thread, so I'll quote myself:

Quote:
Yep, it sounds like you have a bad bec. Happened to me at a gtg so now I keep another wired and ready in my parts box. I use a micro deans plug on my power side to ease swapping on the rocks.

Call them up and they'll exchange it for you. Had mine in 1 week from calling
Rig Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:49 PM   #8

Well I'll find out how she works on sunday. Works great so far in the house.

If need be I'll throw that god damn cc bec back in but I have a feeling if push comes to shove, I am gonna do what i did on my ax10.

Lipo 1300mah 2s battery direct to the reciever. I'll probely buy a smaller 2s lipo maybe 910mah or something and run that on top of the reciver box on the xr10. I really hate those cc bec's
Old 11-04-2010, 08:35 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

The key woed is in the house. I mocked my XR's steering up with a spectrum servo. 100in oz and plastic gears and it crawled the couch fine and the stairs. Once you hit the rock it will be thermal shut down. Ive seen it before.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:13 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

when you burn it down i'll buy your axles cheap
murderface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:11 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by murderface View Post
when you burn it down i'll buy your axles cheap
fire and plastic don't mix.
Turn'Nburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:05 PM   #12

Well guys I went to the creek today for a quick run. Man the xr10 can make some sick lines.

I burned through 2 1500 3s packs to cutoff, and 1/2 of another 1500 pack.
Mind you it was cold today, 2c, warmed up to 4c and theres water running on the creek (its up hill a fair amount not much water)

Servo worked awesome. Never stalled out, I only worked it hard 1 time where it still did full travel but took a sec longer to get there. There was 1 time as well where I was high centered all 4 tires and the front tire was over the ledge and I steered the xr to the right and it lifted the whole crawler up 1/4 to 1/2 inch up and it was enough for the tires to bite and off I went up the ledge, so for me more then enough servo power.

Esc's ran fine all day no higher then 3 on the led, and mostly colder then that.

Oh yeah, I never had 1 glitch all day running 2 esc red power wires into the reciever. Butter smooth all day.

Last edited by Darrell262; 11-05-2010 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 11-06-2010, 09:33 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Just be careful man. I know someone that ran a FXR without a cc bec and a hitec 645 and his esc went up in smoke.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:31 AM   #14

Will do. I am thinking. 2 esc's of the same brand, same model with the same firmware both setup exactly the same software wise running on the same battery should be very close to the same output for power from the bec in sync I am hoping.

So, the 6v 3amp should be the same on both esc's or very close. So I am betting on both outputs to the receiver should make 6v, 6amp as both esc's would share the load of powering the servo.

Thats my theroy.
Also, up here where I live it doesnt get that hot anyhow not like in the states. So heat wise it is running good. Maybe down the road I'll just buy a 600 or 900 mah 2s lipo and run it to the receiver as my futaba R614FF is rated for 2s input 7.4v and the radio and servo together shouldn't take that much juice to run for the 3-6 hours I would run it before charging the battery
Old 11-06-2010, 10:52 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell262 View Post
Well I built my xr10. installed a castle bec and went on my first trip up the rock. (creek)

Flipped the car a few times and got the bec wet. The castle quit working. I blew into it and it fired back up again(got wet)

I am not a fan of the cc bec as I have had nothing but problems with em.

So anyhow I removed the castle bec for now. (I water proofed it if I need it again)

I recieved my 7980 servo (man that thing is huge) threw it in.

I am doing a no no thing but it seems to work just fine. around the house

I am running both my fxr tekin esc's into the reciever with the red wire attached on each esc, and I am running my hitec 7980 servo to the reciever.

And I have great steering and no glitching. Temps on the esc's are at 3 (out of 6) driving it around the house climbing walls and steering on the rug.

I am going to try it this weekend on the rock again. I am tihnking I am going to be just fine. I guess I'll find out on sunday

1st bec i had from cc was shot and even customer service didnt know what the titan 12t was, they had me cut the red wire to my xl5 esc. DoH

screw CC BEC
SwampDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:00 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Sounds like the ppl that are having problems with the CC Bec are going to be the same ppl that wine and bitch when their gears or bearings fail. Thats just my opinion.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:13 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Your nuts CCBEC FTW!!!
RCROCIN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:18 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I dont know how old my cc bec is. Its been in 3 or 4 different rigs, one being murderfaces. It is the community CC Bec. I have changed the voltage output on it, shortened the wires, and even soldered on the wires. I believe when murderface ran it he went in water with it and it isnt even waterproofed. Still doing good.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:01 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepkid View Post
I dont know how old my cc bec is. Its been in 3 or 4 different rigs, one being murderfaces. It is the community CC Bec. I have changed the voltage output on it, shortened the wires, and even soldered on the wires. I believe when murderface ran it he went in water with it and it isnt even waterproofed. Still doing good.
yu mean when i slipped into the fountain at petey's place lol i dont think anything really got wet though except for my novak rooster but it crawled rght back out
murderface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:43 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Thats what I thought. That CC bec is a troop though.